What to do, help

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
Dylan161
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

What to do, help

Post by Dylan161 »

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but have loved the 4g for years and owned a couple. Last year I bought what I thought to be a mint gl hatch but I recently discovered it was a cat c two years ago. I regret not doing a check before buying. But you can't really tell it's been damaged at all, and drives fine I was just wandering what you though. I haven't had a really good look underneath yet either. Any advice would be greatly apreaciated.
sixteen16
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Re: What to do, help

Post by sixteen16 »

Any 1980s car in this day and age, what with all the scrappage bollox going on, that's alllowed another chance on the roads with either cat D or C, in my opinion, I think is a blessing and that the damage to them must of been either really minimal or the cars themselves are/were mint to start with if u get me?

They write off cars nowadays for silly things but comes down to the overall worth of that vehicle!

Just look at my Vic for an example!

Do not let Cat C put you off, check to see if its due a VIC test. Most if not all cat C cars require one in order for you to receive the log book.
Get some pics up,let's have a Pat Butchers at it.
I suppose if u were buying it to sell it then that is going to b the only downfall you will have as like yourself,no1 wants to buy a Catted car its a put off to the majority but if u r keeping it and going to b a project then as long as its safe and drives straight,you'll b fine.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
D16a9 called Vic

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
99mrbe
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by 99mrbe »

Just to confirm the above, cat c and d write off doesn't mean the car is dangerous! As long as it has all its certificates you'll be fine!

People take advantage of insurance companies scrapping them, so they can fix them up and sell them to make a profit!

The only issue with cat c and d! Is trying to sell them! You'd normally expect around 20% of the book price on the car!
Dylan161
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Dylan161 »

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, this has put my mind at ease now. I'm glad I found this forum! I have found out the car does not need a vic check, and upon some close inspection I have determined that it was shunted in the back end, I think this because the rear bumper is slightly squiffy, now I have always realised the bumper was dodgy but I thought this may have been just warped over the years or a result of a car park ding or something, not a write off accident. After getting under it I have found that the rear bumper off side bracket is broken and held on with cable ties, the number plate mount is also a bit battered causing it to rust but I have another one in the shed I will put on when I source a new bumper.

So that brings me on to my next question, anyone have a bumper? :)
There is somebody on here selling one off a crx for £20 I was thinking I could cut off the top of the crx bumper under the black strip, and do the same with my gl bumper, and join the top piece of the gl bumper to the bottom of the crx one? What are your thoughts?

I have also noticed that my off side rear light is slightly pushed in, maybe 6-8mm not much but enough to enfuriate me, :D

Pictures to follow, please alow the slightly tatty appearance I am doing the rear arches and sills soon, followed by a re spray, thanks guys
Stu-VT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Stu-VT »

Sounds familiar and you have no worries. You have PM. :-)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

I wouldnt worry about it in the slightest. I have owned a few 4g's that have been written off. 6 years i got a dx Cat C because headlight filler panel and cracked indicator.

As far as i'm concerned who cares on a 20 odd year old car, at the end of the day we all know most incidents don't get reported. so its pretty unlikely your ever going to get a old car thats not had the odd bump. Far as im concerned when buying them if its not rusty ill buy it.

My current catC had 33 on the clock when i got it last year now nearly 41k and not a spec of rust 8)

1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
bryan
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by bryan »

Ah sure mines wrecked aswell :lol:
89' civic EF-3 Si
96' INTEGRA Xi-G 4 door
03' vauxhall corsa sxi 1.7 DTi
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

Cat c/d is nothing as far as I'm concerned.
I find it good fun bringing them back to life.
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi