Rear caliper seizing!!!!!!

Brakes, Suspension, Steering, Handling,
Chris.p
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Rear caliper seizing!!!!!!

Post by Chris.p »

I noticed a bobbling noise while going down duel carrage ways, pulled over in garage and notice rear passenger wheel is getting hotter than the rest. Ive taken the wheel off and check the hand brake cable is moving freely, it seems the caliper is seized.

Could i get away with just freeing/cleaning the caliper up with some oil etc, or would it make more sence to replace the seals? is so how hard is it to change the seals? is it somthing i could tackle myself?
the longer I own the 4g the harder it is to let go!
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

You could try oiling the rear caliper and free it up....but rear discs are always prone to seizing unfortunately. I have never had to replace rear seals within calipers myself but I would have thought it is not too difficult.
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

It's not too bad to do. But for the price of the repair kit (£20) you may as well try and find a new caliper. And you may need a new piston as they start to rust where the seal sits.

- Undo the bolts for the caliper
- Slide it off, and remove pads
- Undo brake hose, then undo carrier bolts and remove
- Then ideally, you want to stick a compressor on the hole where the hoses fit to push the piston out. Depending how sticky they are, you may need to try a few other methods of removing it from the caliper
- Now you can remove and renew seals, and grease it up.
- Put back together, happy days.