Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Post by James4g »

thats sick u got it for free
what are ur plans?
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

Very nice.

Keep a close eye on the interior floor though, especially in the corners, also the A post behind the wings, known for hidden rust.
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
Adam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Adam »

James4g wrote:thats sick u got it for free
what are ur plans?
At the moment just restoration. Things I know it needs doing are:

Clutch - Nearly gone completely
New Windscreen - Quoted roughly 150
Indicator Stalk - Replacement on its way
Drivers Rear Light - Pair of rear clusters on their way
A crack in the rear bumper needs fibre glassing/filling
Paintwork needs some love
Rear arches need spraying
New thermostat needed

That's what I know so far from the limited time i've had to look round it.

dida4g wrote:Very nice.

Keep a close eye on the interior floor though, especially in the corners, also the A post behind the wings, known for hidden rust.
Cheers for the heads up Kev, I'll have to have a good look through it all at the weekend
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

Leading edge of teh sunroof. Remove the headlining.

There is no removable sunroof tray. It's part of the roof itself.
It's also a crap design flaw. The water is forced to pool in the front as it has to run up hill to go down the drain tubes.

From memory on a 3g Sport I had for a week before selling it due to mega problems in that area.
Adam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Adam »

nominous wrote:Leading edge of teh sunroof. Remove the headlining.

There is no removable sunroof tray. It's part of the roof itself.
It's also a crap design flaw. The water is forced to pool in the front as it has to run up hill to go down the drain tubes.

From memory on a 3g Sport I had for a week before selling it due to mega problems in that area.
:shock: Thanks for that Dave! I will have a look asap!
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

^ I hope you don't find too much wrong, it would be nice to see this restored to its former glory - plus some.
Rich4thGen

Post by Rich4thGen »

Love these things, I can't believe you got it for free, wish i had mates like that :lol:

Good luck with the restore
Red EC9 - sold
Red EE9 - sold
Black CRX siR - new toy
HONDAB88
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by HONDAB88 »

very cool , love the steering wheel, best of luck with it!
Adam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Adam »

I spent a bit of time on the civic over the weekend :lol:

I started by giving it a wash, which made it look much better. I then decided to T-Cut a section of the bonnet to see how well the paint comes up. As you can see from the picture below, the section on drivers side came up really nicely 8)

I then got the front end up onto the ramps and had a good look underneath to see the state of affairs. Everything seems really solid! :D

Until this weekend I hadn't really run the engine at all. My mate had mentioned something about the thermostat and that he thinks everything needs bleeding as it seems to overheat all the time.

After a few minutes the temperature gauge had made it to the very top. I had a good look round all the pipes, and could seem some were leaking, and there was a lot of crustyness by the thermostat housing.

It started to get dark so i left it for the day and went home.

I wnet out on Sunday morning and picked up a thermostat, anti-freeze, some new jubilee clips and some liquid gasket.

After a quick smoke and a motivational chat with Simon I decided to crack on even though the weather was craaaap :lol:

Started by removing the rad - I guess it was fairly simple to get out but It was fiddly and I ended up jacking up one side of the car to get to the bottom bolts etc.

Started off by removing the bonnet release mechanism, which was also bolted to the restraining bar for the radiator

After that it was just a case of draining the rad and removing the pipes, the fan, and unbolting the bar from underneath the car. Everything looks in good nick although after flushing the rad through there was a fair amount of crap coming out before everything ran clear.

The hoses were also full of crap which i gave a good seeing to :P

With the rad out I had a little bit more room to get to the thermostat housing. I removed the cover and found out that he had taken the thermostat out, and been running it without it.

It was all pretty grim inside and it had been sealed up with a bit of liquid gasket.

I gave everything a good clean up and scraped all the crap off of the cover. I put the seal on the new thermostat and used universal blue around the cover to form a seal.

I then bolted the cover back up and put the radiator back in. I hooked up all the hoses and filled up with coolant.

When I went to start the car it just wouldnt go... I thought I'd nackered one of the leads on the dizzy end when I was messing about near the thermostat... but after a while I realised I had left the earth strap off of the thermostat housing! :oops:

By this time I had killed the battery, So I had to get the GT's Big Brother SMX to give him a jump :lol:

Once I got the car started and gave it all a bleed I was over the moon to see the temperature gauge still sitting at half way after about 20 minutes 8)

Rear lights and indicator stalk should arrive this week and will hopefully get my new clutch ordered too :)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Nice one man this little car is going to be great when your done :) and the paint is came up really well
James4g

Post by James4g »

good work, thats bonkers he just decided to take the thermostst out lol
paint came up well 8)
Adam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Adam »

James4g wrote:good work, thats bonkers he just decided to take the thermostst out lol
paint came up well 8)
I think it was over heating when he was still driving it, so as a quick fix he whipped the thermostat out to get it flowing freely and bring the temp down again.

walsh123 wrote:Nice one man this little car is going to be great when your done Smile and the paint is came up really well
I hope so mate... Looking forward to getting it on the road So i can visit a few people in it :lol:
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Good work :top:

Keep it up
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Nice little project Adam.

Id love a B16B 3g one day.
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

Nice update!....givie it a damn good T-cut/polish and get the little roller skate back on the road! :wink:
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image