Group buy on RHD Quaife quick racks

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Re: Group buy on RHD Quaife quick racks

Post by EE9 CVC »

How much quicker are they, what's the ratio?
Captain_Crustacean
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Captain_Crustacean »

MominF wrote:Are you guys that have asked for these using them for road purpose or track only?

These racks are very hard to use on the motorway, a twitch of the steering wheel can make you swerve lanes.

A 16V steering rack is a better option IMO.
Have you driven one?
Andy TF
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Andy TF »

Im in!
MominF
**Trader**

Post by MominF »

Captain_Crustacean wrote:
MominF wrote:Are you guys that have asked for these using them for road purpose or track only?

These racks are very hard to use on the motorway, a twitch of the steering wheel can make you swerve lanes.

Have you driven one?
Sorry, not driven a product that doesnt exist/isnt produced as off yet.

However done a 3 point turn in a 106 with a quaiffe rack. Something you'd have to get used to. Owner of the 106 wasnt a fan of motor ways either.
Captain_Crustacean
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

MominF wrote:
Captain_Crustacean wrote:

Have you driven one?
Sorry, not driven a product that doesnt exist/isnt produced as off yet.

However done a 3 point turn in a 106 with a quaiffe rack. Something you'd have to get used to. Owner of the 106 wasnt a fan of motor ways either.
I can understand the heavier thing, as you say, its something you'd have to get used too, but really dont understand the motorway thing unless someone was a complete retard of a driver.

I'm not having a go at you at all, just struggling to get my head round it. Yes it'll be more sensitive but not so much as to swerving into other lanes etc, like I say, unless the driver was a moron. What does he do on ordinary b-roads if it swerves into a hedge? :lol:
MominF
**Trader**

Post by MominF »

Out of all the people i would have thought you'd be the first to grasp this concept coming from a racing background lol. :lol:

Think about it logically, how little do you have to turn the wheel to change lanes in a normal car whilst on the motor way,, especially at higher speeds? Now imagine with a quicker rack which is very sensitive due to the quicker ratios, every knudgle/knock of the wheel will get the car turning.

You only have to google it to find many discussions on this topic so i dont think the drivers are morons imo.
g.h.o.s.t
4GUK Donator

Post by g.h.o.s.t »

I've driven my mates 400+ bhp evo VI and that has a quick rack. Is strange getting used to it
4GUK's only black GL.... B18 powered ;)
Captain_Crustacean
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

MominF wrote:Out of all the people i would have thought you'd be the first to grasp this concept coming from a racing background lol. :lol:

Think about it logically, how little do you have to turn the wheel to change lanes in a normal car whilst on the motor way,, especially at higher speeds? Now imagine with a quicker rack which is very sensitive due to the quicker ratios, every knudgle/knock of the wheel will get the car turning.

You only have to google it to find many discussions on this topic so i dont think the drivers are morons imo.
I understand why you think it would happen as its less turns lock to lock so the same small input will move the car further etc etc. But unless your driving the car like your in an old 50's movie, I cant see it being such a problem.

I'll be honest, I used to own a car with a quick rack and just never really had the same problems you described, I hardly even noticed it really on the road, I think thats why I'm struggling. Yes smaller inputs would make the car move further, but then I didn't drive it like: :drivegear:

I spose this is one we'll disagree on.........until I put it in the wall at croft! :lol: :OD :lol: :OD
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

g.h.o.s.t wrote:I've driven my mates 400+ bhp evo VI and that has a quick rack. Is strange getting used to it
Evo do have a quick racks, the last 7 I drove I noticed that, but I realy liked it.

Also, a quicker rack is obviously going to mean the car turns sharper for a given movement, thats the whole point of it, but if you're a good driver I can't see it being a problem.
callum0892
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by callum0892 »

My old 205 had a quick rack.
No problems on motorway, made the car so much more fun to drive. Totally worth it. Great in combo with a karting wheel.
Captain_Crustacean
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

callum0892 wrote:Great in combo with a karting wheel.
Thats what I had on my westfield, was heavy but felt awesome! :top:
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

im interested, but how much 'quicker' are they?

i found my VT was a bit twitchy on the motorway as it is now, but if you have decent tyres and suspension and your a competent driver, should be ok, however, ive never driven a car with one
civicracer
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by civicracer »

A quick rack on a race car is almost essential, my race Capri in the wet was a real handful and without the ability to get it onto opposite lock would have been a disaster. As for road use, have driven a couple of rally cars on the road and only takes a few minutes to get used to them , anyone who says that a twitch of the wheel changes lanes is away with the fairy's. Would be buying one but will be selling our 4G race car at the end of the year.
Lee4391
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Post by Lee4391 »

Anyone from here still interested in this?

Quaife will only make them in a run of 25.

The thread on CRX UK says we need at least 7 more people.
g.h.o.s.t
4GUK Donator

Post by g.h.o.s.t »

Yep I defiantly want one!!
4GUK's only black GL.... B18 powered ;)