Is it worth it ??

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
rallyeluke
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Re: Is it worth it ??

Post by rallyeluke »

A tzr would savage! especially one of the later ones with delta box frame YPV system ;) I used to own a Honda nsr 125 rr italian import and it was 33 1/2 bhp and went like stink to 90 and then was all out of puff! you dont want to do more then 90 on a 125 anyway ;) little screamers ;)
D16a9 Powered dream machine!

No greater fun then backing off the throttle at 7400rpm and spraying fire out the exhaust ;)
joe f

Post by joe f »

Daewoo matzo is a good shout. Chopped springs and minilites, bodge on some mini arches. Jobs a goodun!
bryan
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by bryan »

rallyeluke wrote:as Marc said £4000 insurance is too much for any car, have a look into other options like parents insurance etc

my first years insurance was 4k.

had to do it!

luckily for me my car was a mint grey '90 25x limited ed. civic

pricy but worth it!
89' civic EF-3 Si
96' INTEGRA Xi-G 4 door
03' vauxhall corsa sxi 1.7 DTi
joe f

Post by joe f »

My insurance is gonna be £1150 without mods declared, 2 years no claims :shock:
I can insure a 1.8t golf gti for £1200! So how is a 1.4 that much??

Is it worth it??
bryan

Post by bryan »

maybe the golf has better crash / safety ratings than the 4g?

also less risk of it being stolen?

insurance companies are funny feckers when it comes to older cars :evil:
89' civic EF-3 Si
96' INTEGRA Xi-G 4 door
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

If it was going to cost me £4000 for insurance on a 4th gen i would do it tomorrow Bryan 8)

But i cant bring myself to pay that much to drive a 1.0 polo or something :(

:lol: its because its japanese joe, JDM tax

Also its definately worth it for you, as its not a 1.4 is it :P and Golf's :not top:

At least you can get insured, think of it this way you can get insured on a 'Gl' for £1150.

I cant even get insured on a Dx Automatic for less than £7000 or something ridiculous :roll:

Well i couldnt get insured on it anyway as its a Cat C :lol: But still the fact they even qoute that much is mental i could understand if i was asking for insurance on a Evo or something but a 1.3 civic
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
joe f

Post by joe f »

Times are crazy! Yeah that golf I was just using as a comparison. An ek4 is the same for me to insure as the GL too! 160bhp compared to 90.

I'd get a bike but you can't trust other road users! It's bad enough driving having people pull out all the time.
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

I was complaining about my insurance but now i dont feel so bad :oops:

Mine is £325 fully comp, protected, agreed value £2500 :top:

But then i am 65 years old, wee my pants and have a stannah Stairlift :(
No longer on the 'sucker list'
rallyeluke

Post by rallyeluke »

widowmaker wrote:I was complaining about my insurance but now i dont feel so bad :oops:

But then i am 65 years old, wee my pants and have a stannah Stairlift and smell like rotten tuna :(
D16a9 Powered dream machine!

No greater fun then backing off the throttle at 7400rpm and spraying fire out the exhaust ;)
Owen92
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by Owen92 »

I dont understand why your insurance is soooo much! I thought mine was bad at 18, i pay £2200 or something on my Gl, and i thought that was ridiculous! Have you tried ringing around literally everywhere, and putting parents or any experienced drivers onto your policy? Im also on an apprentiship, so the moneys is obviously not the best, but ive just had to get used to that kind of money comming out of my bank every month, and to be honest, i think its worth it! yea it may only be a little 1.4 but i dont know of a car i could have more fun in for less insurance cost.
Like stated above, insurance companys are out to sting young drivers, but if you want to be on the road, then you've just got to bite the bullet! I dont know where all my money would go if i didnt drive!
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

joe f wrote:Times are crazy! Yeah that golf I was just using as a comparison. An ek4 is the same for me to insure as the GL too! 160bhp compared to 90.

I'd get a bike but you can't trust other road users! It's bad enough driving having people pull out all the time.
I imagine you put the value of the Ek4 higher though ?

As insurance will think if he's young driving a old Honda it will probably be a death trap and fast so whack the cost up, not to mention if the value you state is quite low.
rallyeluke wrote:
widowmaker wrote:I was complaining about my insurance but now i dont feel so bad :oops:

But then i am 65 years old, wee my pants and have a stannah Stairlift and smell like rotten tuna :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed how did you get them to agree to a value of 2.5 k :shock:
Owen92 wrote:I dont understand why your insurance is soooo much! I thought mine was bad at 18, i pay £2200 or something on my Gl, and i thought that was ridiculous! Have you tried ringing around literally everywhere, and putting parents or any experienced drivers onto your policy? Im also on an apprentiship, so the moneys is obviously not the best, but ive just had to get used to that kind of money comming out of my bank every month, and to be honest, i think its worth it! yea it may only be a little 1.4 but i dont know of a car i could have more fun in for less insurance cost.
Like stated above, insurance companys are out to sting young drivers, but if you want to be on the road, then you've just got to bite the bullet! I dont know where all my money would go if i didnt drive!
I havent tried ringing around all over, but mainly because with the qoutes i was getting i didnt think it was worth bothering but at the time i was only in college anyway and didnt have a job or anything so would have impossible.

I tell you what if my insurance was on £2200 id have two Gl's :lol: For fun you definately cant beat a 4g 8)

Haha my other problem is if i do get insurance it wouldnt be for the Dx and i wouldnt have any spare cash to spend on the Dx for parts or track days so it would just end up sitting there :(
All my cash goes into the Dx at the minute TOO MUCH really but it beats spending it on Xbox games or something :lol: Why pretend on Forza when i build something for real and track it :drivegear:
1990 Civic VT Daily
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

The agreed value is the costs to buy a decent solid gl, the costs of the modifications cam, exhaust, suspension, brakes as they would cost new.

If you add them all up it comes to £2500, i had to send a load of pictures, receipts, adverts etc for them to see before this value was agreed.

Otherwise if it was stolen all i would get is market value £500-£700
No longer on the 'sucker list'
Owen92
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by Owen92 »

It really is worth shopping around big time! I mean ringing everyone you can find! I had mostly £5k+ quotes until i found the one im on now. Im with directline if thats any help to you. When i first passed my test i literally spent a whole day shopping around for quotes, and it was deffinately worth the money i saved had i have gone with the first quote i got.
Im pretty sure you will find a simlar(ish) price to mine if you have a good hunt around, im only 18 and have no, noclaims bonus.
And yea it is hard to find the spare cash to spend on the car for the bits i want whilst getting raped for tax, insurance, mot, petrol etc etc, but im pretty used to that now.
bryan

Post by bryan »

true what Owen92 says dude,

shop about!
89' civic EF-3 Si
96' INTEGRA Xi-G 4 door
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

widowmaker wrote:The agreed value is the costs to buy a decent solid gl, the costs of the modifications cam, exhaust, suspension, brakes as they would cost new.

If you add them all up it comes to £2500, i had to send a load of pictures, receipts, adverts etc for them to see before this value was agreed.

Otherwise if it was stolen all i would get is market value £500-£700
Ahh cool, sounds like it took some convincing :lol:

I wonder what the value of my Dx would come out at with all the modifications actually i probably dont want to know :lol:

Ill have a shop around soon then i think also pretty soon i will have had my license for a year which means i can get classic insurance :OD

My girlfriend is going off to Uni in scarborough soon aswell so she hasn passed her test yet. But she has a 1990 polo Classic sitting in a garage not doing anything she said i could use if i wanted so i wouldnt even need to buy a car which is a bonus :lol:

So ill shop around when ive had my license a year, Few weeks away, see if i can get any reasonable qoutes on her polo.

Would be nice to be able to get around myself and collect parts myself aswell 8)
1990 Civic VT Daily