1.8 Civic VTi

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
Optimus
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

1.8 Civic VTi

Post by Optimus »

Anyone on here owned a 1.8/1.6 Civic VTI, from around 1998-2000, i think the chassis code is MB? Unfortunately i can't access pics from work to show you the model i mean! Think it was the one where they made a VTI-S model :?

May have to sell the VT to bring in some cash, depends how some things work out in the next few weeks, so looking at cheap potential replacements, and have seen these around for under a grand...
Adam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Adam »

Supposed to be very good mate! I thought about getting one.. seems to be a few minters around between 1500-2000!

Have a look on piston heads :top:
Optimus

Post by Optimus »

I'd definitely be shopping in the sub-£1000 price range unfortunately, so wouldn't be after a minter! :lol: There's a silver one near me going for £750! :shock:
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

These are Ins. grp 14 i think.
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
Optimus

Post by Optimus »

Yeah, that's the one, not exactly Honda's most stylish effort, but at least its got VTEC fun in a cheap package!

Insurance group isn't an issue since i'm an old fart... so it really is the car for me! :wink:
Soldier456

Post by Soldier456 »

are they quick then? What do they weigh? handling?
Optimus

Post by Optimus »

Soldier456 wrote:are they quick then? What do they weigh? handling?
No idea, was just attracted by the price! There seems to be quite a few people over on Honda Evolutions (formerly Revolutions) who have them, seems to be plenty of options for modding them too.
166bhp
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by 166bhp »

Soldier456 wrote:are they quick then? What do they weigh? handling?
my mate has one, they're quick for their size

1.6 16v 166bhp...
nath h
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

chat

Post by nath h »

my m8s got 1 of them civic pushin around 175bhp an its not far of my m8s standard ITR (jdm) :shock:
ec9-sold
ee9-sold
Jeffro
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Jeffro »

'box ratios cripple them in terms of 0 - 60 but from 3rd gear onwards they've got plenty of punch! I like them, quite understated cars and considering the price I'd definately go for one 8)
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Ive had a VTI-s in on a V reg. Very comfy, the body is based on a Rover, no lie. :oops:

The engines are good but they are not as strong as B16's and sometimes they do feck up. Handling on a standard one is poo, its like a boat. Good to turbo apparently :D

Apart from that it was a fun drive back from Kent (250 miles). Didnt keep it for long though.
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
Kai Vaksdal
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Civic VTi

Post by Kai Vaksdal »

Hi,

I have had two of these - both the Aerodeck (estate version).

First was a standard company car which did 100,000 (HARD) miles in just over 2 years. Nothing went wrong and it was plenty quick enough. Just a bit low geared for motorways.

Second was a silver one which I tuned with intake, exhaust, v-tec controller and chip. It ran about 190bhp and was a real sleeper. Bought it with 40k and ran it (VERY HARD) for another 20k miles. Engine was very strong and pretty fast. Played with Type R's at Silverstone, no problem.
Weak point is the standard (SOFT) suspension. Shock and springs will sort it all out.

Never heard any problems with the engine s before. A guy from here somewhere has the engine in a 4G and uses it at the ring.

Haave been thinking about finding an engine for mine actually. Seen a few from 600 to 800 quid all in......
Luck will often help you out if your courage holds
Optimus

Post by Optimus »

Cheers for the responses, definitely considering it now if the VT has to go...

On a completely unrelated note, were Honda making two different types of Civic at the same time? It just that i seem to see both the MB6 shape and the EK with the same year reg plates?! the MB6 code also doesn't fit the usual pattern for Honda either (EE, EF, EG etc), is this due to the Rover tie-in?
eg9 adz
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by eg9 adz »

The pic of the vtis above is/was my car :lol: they are quite good fun, you need to spend a bit of money on them to get quick, pas/ac removal is a good mod to do.

I would change the gearbox with an itr/ek9 box it makes a big differance, I had a mugen plate type diff in mine which made it awesome at cornering

any more questions send me a pm :wink:
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

168bhp
suppose to be same 0-60 as a B16