my GL, 1st car, 1st project!

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

my GL, 1st car, 1st project!

Post by conors »

well got this civic about a 2 months ago. i was only 16 and have only recently turned 17 so am currently taking lessons etc! It all started after i had been searching for an ej9 (1.4 ek) and noticed they were pretty common shizzle! also 2 of my mates just got them, so i slung that idea and started looking at 4g's. however i noticed these were'nt so common in to find in good nick!

luckily i found a guy on jdmy0.net who had one for sale, so i went to see it! bought it for 550 squids! needed arch work, and a bit of the sill was actually hanging off :/ lol, but was mechanically sound and everything else was mint!

here it is the day i got it.

and the rust...
the flap
and the arch (similar on both sides)

only got the one pic of the back as it went striaght into the garage for certain reasons it was too be off the road! heres anoth pic but with the wheels that are going on...ok ok i know they've been around but there c00l as f00k and got em off a mate at a good price!

had a couple of sticker on the windows so i got those off, no disrespect to privateimports i just didnt like em (must have been the guys mate or something, non the less they came off.)

burnt my fingers god knows how many times...so got my wee brother to it! :lol: Image

came with cool window deflectors, but both were kinda pooped, with cracks and marks, so i took em off...siliclone and sticky tape anyone?! :evil:

anyways i decided that, that couldnt stay in that mess, so i began scraping it off, took AGES!!, but i used sandpaper and wet and dry too to get it smooth. Took quite abit of paint off so i bought some satin black from halfraunds (quite a few tins, you'll see why soon) borrowed a bed sheet and a newspaper, and set to work 're-furbing my window frames' :lol: came out good!

wee brothers keen as f00k so he helps? crazy fool!

and how it came out!

looks ok i think!
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Hi there, wlecome to the forum.

Nice motor minus the rust. Nice how to on removing the old tape and silicone. I have the same problem you had with silicone and old tape stuck to the window frame. Have wind deflectors waiting to go on :(
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

ah SH!T clicked post by accident, theres so much more...think i need to res-size pics! :oops:

and yeah im from scotland, perth! :P
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

interior was fine but, i decided i liked the stripped out look, mayb not the best idea for learning but to hell with it, i like it! bit noisyer and my dad hates it but, ohwell!!

heres how it looks! (also got a sparco harness off my mate for a tenner, cheers paul)

bit off messing about with masking tape on rear window! :oops:

anyway, time came to sort the rust, got a good deal off a mate (cheers stewart!) and got it booked into his boss's garage, there was a car being done so mines was sitting about for a bit, so me and my mate decided to spray up my bumpers matt black! used abit of filler and some other things (cheeky i know) and got them looking abit better as they were a bit worse for wear! Also got that vt rear lip to f00k as it was tatty as hell, sad to see it goe as it was quite nice imo!

pics!

front! with plate tilter also (cheers paul, again! lol)

and that was that!
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

in that last pic you can see i chucked the resonator box and oem feed pipe, and stuck on that other one, also done the carb tricks and removed the plate across the front of the box, going to drill it soon and cut springs.

anyway, day came for the rust to get tackled, me and my mate were'nt going to touch that so we let his boss do it...just as well eh.

new arch clamped and welded on

grinded flat

filled

smoothed

sitting outside befour painting

primered and ready for paint!

all painted w00t!

liked the advan above indicator story and jumped on the band-wagon! stuck a set on. Common on 4g's but i like em! Sorry for camera phone, does the job and im only an apprentice! need to get my damn figer out the way haha!

purchased a tow hook jdm y0 woot whatever lol from ebay us! looks cool, but its off for reverse parking atm!

thats it i think, there probbably a few ive missed, as its not really a build...move of a 'to date'!
Last edited by conors on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

got some 40mm lowering springs to go on soon, just when weather birghtens up abit! I bought a VR6 lip after looking at gizmo's on his old dx for ages...impulse buy, tryed it on and i aint a fan, so going to get a crx one off my mate paul, good ol' tenner prices! hehe cheers dude!

hopefully get the spriings on this weekend or next, giving it a service, new plugs and oil (any idea's of whats best would be a help cheers)

so still to come:

D2's
New backbox as that ones full of cracks, bummer, although its stainless stright through from manifold back which is nice, jsut going to get a custom box made and stuck on.
front and rear strut braces
ebay manifold
get my advans stuck on
painted rocker cover
and whatever else i can afford on this apprentice sparky wage! lol

thanks for looking, great forum btw, ive learned a rake off here! :D :oops:
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

cryz2 wrote:hahahahhahaha it is a cracker

fast updates i can't keep up lololol

welcome good to see a GL bought back to life

si
hope those hahah's werent nasty ones! si! LOL
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

ok ok, while i was on my posting spree i realised i didnt actually stick any pics of the black rear bumper up, apart from on that one of the tow hook...
heres some anyways. Remember, this was BEFOUR the rust was done, as you can see
^^ sprayed up that bashed to f00k plate holder in etched primer and then in black so its looking lush! :P

and the current state of affairs!
Last edited by conors on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

cryz2 wrote:i have been using castrol oil high mileage for a few year

seems to like it , and
ngk spark plugs
thanks alot, will get that done this week!

any type of plugs? cold or what...not too clued up on that!
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

cryz2 wrote:BCPR6E-11

stock plugs ,

cheep and work very very well ,

shouls have a sticker on the timing belt top cover with the part numbers on
thanks alot, just go to honda for them aye? or will halfrauds be ok?

cheers for the help dude! :D
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

glad to hear it!

anyways im off just now, speak to you's later!
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

Welcome onboard conors

We love 4gs here especially GL's 8)
No longer on the 'sucker list'
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Bout time you made it on here :wink:
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
Richy
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Richy »

Looking good mate, keep the updates coming.
HOMEGROWN HONDAZ
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

haha i know giz! and cheers rich!

well, this came today...says i <3 my (ef)

any idea's on where to stick it? its white so i was thinking bumper or one of my windows :roll: