The ED2 GL - Project Jap Scrap - Manual Box, Trumpets & Cam!

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
CharlesK
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

The ED2 GL - Project Jap Scrap - Manual Box, Trumpets & Cam!

Post by CharlesK »

Alrighty :lol:

So here goes, after owning VW's and Audis and nothing else since I started driving, it was time to turn to the dark side :OD
This EF Sedan had been in the For Sale section on ScottishVAG and RetroRides for ages, but it was too much moneys. Circumstances changed and I needed something to drive because my mk3 Golf (Sooty) was out of tax and insurance, and was due to be going to a new home shortly. After realising this was still for sale, and only 2 hours drive away I made arrangements and picked it up.

This is what Im replacing:

That's how it got the name of Sooty.

Anyway, no great pictures of the car yet, and not much done to it due to work, but at the moment it doesn't need anything other than for me to burn the slushomatic gearbox :not top: but I've got a week off starting Friday so there will be progress.

Always had a huge soft spot for the EF Sedans. Time has come to get myself one. Dinnae know huge amounts about Hondas, but my neighbour's a Honda nut, so he'll keep me right :top:
Last edited by CharlesK on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CharlesK
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Re: The ED2 GL - Project Jap Scrap

Post by CharlesK »

So been tinkering with this a little bit. Got the rear seatbelt in seats back in, they'd been removed for its MOT because one belt had snapped. Started with a box of random bolts and brackets, but got her in the end :top: unfortunately the belt is brown, and I still need the buckle for the bottom. (excuse pish phone pics)

Had time off on Weds so managed to get down to the unit and do some stuff.

Firstly I wanted to get some of the rust sorted, the previous owner started to treat the rust, but some areas were bare metal. As ahin was shut on weds, I wasn't able to get any K-Rust or carb cleaner. For now I've used silver Hammerite. You can see the paint on the roof has been attacked with some very course sandpaper at some point too... The back window's also leaking, hence the tape

Next was lowering it! The car came with brand new 60mm springs, so these went straight on, after some fannying about trying to work out which springs were the fronts and rears...

My motley team of mechanics posing for the camera...

Mk2 Golf spoiler anyone?

Anyway, S*!t's still settling, the front's come down nicely, the rear is still pretty high, so might have to trim a wee bit off the rears. Next job, wheels!

mattj
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by mattj »

"Gary glitter is a c*nt" lmao.
benwh555
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by benwh555 »

So I take it a manual conversion is on the cards then? Any other big plans?
CharlesK
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by CharlesK »

Haha, yeah I didn't realise that was in the photo until I uploaded them :OD

Yeah manual box is on the table. Got the box and shifter sitting for it, just need the pedal box and cables (and maybe an ECU?) Still trying to figure out if it's worth putting a 1.6 in it (it's sitting here also), does mean converting to a hydro clutch though. Biggest job on the list so far is a respray...
CharlesK
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by CharlesK »

No progress so far.

Couple of issues with the car so far though... (isn't there always?!)

Not only is the back window leaking, but it turns out the front pass. foot-well has a lake under the carpet. First guess is the windscreen leaking, as there's also a shite load of wind noise when driving. It may be a split sunroof drain or dodgey bit of seam sealer somewhere, but I think both windows will need to come out at some point so I can re-seal them, may get the front one done through my insurance, as it's scratched to hell too.

Fuel economy is awful! I was expecting it to be bad compared to the Golf, I could touch 70mpg in that. So carb's will be coming off soon for a clean and tune. Should hopefully sort it out, it does run very rich at low RPMs. Automagic box isn't helping either.

Anyway, took the car up Backwater Reservoir today with the dog, got a couple snaps. Car has settled fairly nicely now, wheels needed though! Anyone got 175/55/15s?

SuperDOHC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by SuperDOHC »

looks pretty nice now that its lowered
ImageImageImage

White GL
Unique Edition
Connarbrown
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Connarbrown »

Looks sweet :) even on the steels
CharlesK
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by CharlesK »

Decided to try and tackle the leaks in the car. First of all, remove the seat, interior trim and carpet. Got the heatgun under the carpet and left that running, carpet is now dry, although probably not for long.

Seems to be coming from the top corner (N/S) of the windscreen. Had no way to try and seal it, and tbh the window seals look goosed (not to mention the windscreen is scratched pretty badly). They work out at about £55 for genuine ones, so this'll be another job for when I have cash (or get the Golf sold), so Gorilla Tape to the rescue again... Still need to source new seals for the rear window

Another problem I've had is that the boot lid collects a LOT of condensation, and everything was soaking. Picked up some spray glue the other day with this job in mind, so started chopping and gluing bits of loft insulation in the panels (had a woman's touch for this :bigthumbs: )

Filled the small areas first, then doubled up over them. I'll make a panel to fit to this with carpet at some point...

Then started fannying about with the carbs; it runs rich so I thought a clean would do it good. Not driven it any distance yet so can't say if it's helped anything, but I got a good bit of crud out of them. Made a half-assed attempt at polishing the tops too

dazec8
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by dazec8 »

if u get ur screen done at auto glass tell them ur trims r fucked they should
order you some and ur insurance should pay 4 them if they carnt get hold of them
for your car rover 400 or honda mb6 trims will fit the top trim comes on the glass u just need the sides.
and they prob wont change it just 4 scratches unless it fails a mot so it might have to get broken
(by some random act of god of coarse) and u will prob find its rust in the bond area that is causing
your leak a common thing on all screens
The build viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CharlesK
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by CharlesK »

Yeah, there's a heap of bubbling paint along the top corner, seems pretty likely that's what's giving us grief. If the new screen comes with a new top trim I may not even need the sides, I assumed it came as a complete kit. Cheers for the info :bigthumbs:

Ya, I've had to do that one before, I think I used a pigeon flying into my screen as an excuse last time...
CharlesK
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by CharlesK »

More updates (pretty unusual for me)!

Been snowing up here the past few days so I've not done huge amounts. Got a pair of Scooby seats for the front of Sidney (yes, the car!) for much cheapness. Going to get them in at some point, then get the lot retrimmed to everything matches. Looking for a pair of seat bases though so I dont have to chop mine up, do CRX Del Sol frames fit the ED2? Excuse pishy pants photos again.

My neighbour Levi (hoonda on here; viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) donated a crusty old 4 brancher to the cause, which needed hella cleaning!

Before:

After:

I gave up on the lower half of the fanimold, it's too far gone in terms of pitting. Car seems a little more responsive with it on if anyway, you can here it almost wanting to rasp through the standard system now. Found an exhaust tip lying about too, so threw that on for the now. Replaced a couple of exhaust rubbers too because the old ones had stretched, and the back box was hanging far too low.

Started playing with wheels yesterday, so tested these for tyre size, think Im going to go for a 175/55/15 just to help fill the arches, nae cash for coilies the now. Also removed the front bumper plate plinth, plate is now zip-tied on the lower grill. Will be getting a 6x12 plate made up for it.

mattj

Post by mattj »

They look awful with center caps, but really cool without. Strange how something so minimal can make a big difference.
CharlesK
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by CharlesK »

I kinda prefer them without the centre caps too
CharlesK
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by CharlesK »

So S*!t's been going down. Not alot has been done with the car, so first some obligatory snow pics and stuff...

Sidney did epically in the snow, barely had any problems (unlike me mates Corsa :eyebrows: )

Spent to last week or so slowly stripping the Amil's down to bare metal, they've been repainted so many times before that all the lines/lettering was lost under paint. Came across a new product called Aircraft Remover, beats the hell out of Nitromors, definitely recommend it. Decided to go for an unusual colour, so picked out a Mitsubishi Gold/Copper Pearl for them.

Better!

Fitted wi 175/55/15 Continentals for £80-cheapness. Fitted the roof rack last Friday (and wind deflectors) ...

which enabled me to do this: :v:

Yesterday I got the tyres on the wheels, did some stickering and polished up my nuts

Rear ride height needs addressing, may do that today. Had no work last week, and only one short shift this week, so money is mega tight right now :flush: