Be Safe Be Scene......to space or not to space...WELDING

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Be Safe Be Scene......to space or not to space...WELDING

Post by walsh123 »

Yeah if you aint guessed i cant think of a name :oops: :lol: Anyone got any ideas ?

Anyway heres my little secret build. A 1989 civic GL Auto Early spec y0! 8)

How i got it (rubbish pic i know) :oops:

2 Owners from new, first owner had it for about 21 years with full service history on average 100 miles a year :shock: One year she did no miles and took it back for it MOT :shock: Second owner who i bought it from, her son came into halfords for some service parts got chatting and said those fatefull words if she wants to sell it let me know (Hadnt even seen it at this point) :roll: Has gotten me in some jams before :oops:never learn :lol: Soon as i rolled up to her house and saw it was an early spec that was it, i had to have it :D

So what did i do with such a great standard example ? Ripped it apart of course :twisted:

Engine and box pulled, started cleaning the engine bay, 20 odd years of dirt build up :shock:

So with the bay looking alot better it seemed a shame for it to be covered in wiring, so let the tucking begin ! The last time i did this i swore i wouldnt do another for at least a year Such a PITA, the cutting and extending is easy as pie but the re-routing etc is enough to drive anyone mad :o

BUt as photobucket has decided to commit suicide i cant upload any more pics :x So ill finish this off tomorrow as there is alot more to post :)
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
perfectionist
4GUK Donator

Re: Project errrr project....Another one ?!

Post by perfectionist »

Fuk off :shock:

:lol:
A person who wants everything to be perfect and demands the highest standards possible.

Friends call me Nas ;)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

:lol: :lol:

You like :P

Ill have to upload some pics of the history litterally most mileage she did was 400 miles one year :drivegear: Ive already done that and ive owned it for a month and its been on the road a week tomorrow well today :OD
1990 Civic VT Daily
perfectionist
4GUK Donator

Post by perfectionist »

Coars i like :top:

I want a white early spec to keep forever once the VT has gone :wink:
A person who wants everything to be perfect and demands the highest standards possible.

Friends call me Nas ;)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

White early spec for the win, i've always wanted a good nick early spec :OD

Haha i'll swap you Gl for Vt :wink: :P
1990 Civic VT Daily
perfectionist
4GUK Donator

Post by perfectionist »

walsh123 wrote: Haha i'll swap you Gl for Vt :wink: :P
Anyday :wink:

Friends call me Nas ;)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

45 minutes il be at yours :lol: :drivegear:
1990 Civic VT Daily
perfectionist
4GUK Donator

Post by perfectionist »

Bring the trailor, you'll need it :lol:
Not done owt since cleaning the bay :oops:

Ahh man this white early spec looks too good, Fuk off again Eth :lol:

Friends call me Nas ;)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

:lol: Part timer :P

Feck that ill build it then drive off in it :OD :drivegear:

:lol: It looks better in the pics than reality sadly had to do a little welding but nothing too major original inner arches were still there I saved one gromet and all but cba with the other side was in a mad rush for JAE so just welded it up. Ill get the rest of the build pics up tomorrow :top:
1990 Civic VT Daily
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Keep going....
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
bryan
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by bryan »

minter!
89' civic EF-3 Si
96' INTEGRA Xi-G 4 door
03' vauxhall corsa sxi 1.7 DTi
bryan

Post by bryan »

............oh and you have caught the bug ethan! :shock:
89' civic EF-3 Si
96' INTEGRA Xi-G 4 door
03' vauxhall corsa sxi 1.7 DTi
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Gizmo wrote:Keep going....
:lol: Ill continue it after work today dude gonna be a pretty big start to a build thread :lol:
bryan wrote:............oh and you have caught the bug ethan! :shock:
:lol: Tell me about it ! Way too many cars !! :shock: Heres my cuurrent list :oops:

1989 Civic Dx (Race spec)...just without an engine :lol:
1991 Civic Gl (madge)
1989 Civic Gl (Granny spec)

1984 Civic Gt (joint project)

Not excessive at all for one man :OD :civic:
1990 Civic VT Daily
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

Awesome 8) 8)
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Continued

Ran the wiring through where the wiring for the doors goes fitted quite nicely

Then just zip tied along the chassis, alll wires soldered heat shrinked taped up, then conduit then all the conduit taped up to water proof. Seriously time consuming :shock: Took me about 2 weeks working after work to complete it staying until 12 some nights :lol: Mainly pushed on as i told my boss oh im only swapping the engine wont tae me long :oops: :lol:

Driver side

So onto removing the auto pedal box, HUGE PITA hate doing it, also routing all the engine bay fuse box wiring under the dash to the fuse box which i hid under the centre console.

Oh also COMPLETELY off track but hows this for an interesting upgrade. Subaru impreza WRX servo fits onto a Gl perfectly lines up with the pedal spot on, would have to run an impreza Master cylinder but food for thought :lol:

Annnd back on track

Engine bay looked awesome all cleaned up all the dirt had clearly protected the paint, so what did i do scotchbrited the whole thing nd wiped it all down with thinners :twisted:

A little welding here and there

A skim of filler and a lick of paint

Wasnt going for a full smooth bay for a couple of reasons the main one being time my bos was getting close to cutting the car in half, really couldn't get his head around wtf i was doing...I just said it'll be worth it you wait and see :lol:

Secondly just abit of a pain and i dont like the idea of filler in the bay i have a VERY light skim over the welds i did but for the original spots you would have to use a fair bit in total and no point going to all this effort and have it crack as it will get tracked anyway so wonbt have a trailer queen life thats for sure :twisted: :drivegear:

So all thats missing the final coat, now after doing all this white just seemed abit mundane, i wanted something different so had a good look around on forums and searching through paint code books at halfords (damn Halfords actually came in useful! Helped me look busy at aswell :lol: )

I thought midnight purple from a skyline but feck me is that a hard colour to get not to mention expensive, then i had an idea which i cant reveal yet as its not completed. But its far from over. After a little debate and some advice from a few guys on here i settled on a colour :wink:

A litre of laquer later *shiny* :OD Turned out suprisingly well considering we painted it basically in the dark after work :lol:

Seriously happy with it, cant thank John the sprayer at work enough for this, it might be the colour of turd but if id done it would have looked like turd aswell :lol:

Soo with my engine bay looking much more refreshed, my boss thinking i am actually insane to spend cash painting my engine bay when it was only going to get scratched putting the engine in. My response you have no idea how crazy i am i garuntee you you it wont get a single scratch :wink: £10 on it infact :lol: Him haha done !

He certainly didnt look as smug the next day when he arrived to this :idea: :lol:

ONe huge roll of bubble wrap and a big roll of masking tape :D

Now as for the engine.... A nice low mileage D14A1 on bike carbs.....Nahhh that would have been obvious a little bit of borrowing later and ...

And plonk one Z6 in the bay no scrathes £10 paid for the bubble wrap and tape :lol:

Thats all for now but there is more to follow, Hope you all like so far :top:
1990 Civic VT Daily