Civic GL 1990 - Did you say turbo?...

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Site
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Civic GL 1990 - Did you say turbo?...

Post by Site »

Thought I would wack up some photos and some bits on my build...ive had the car for over a year but its only really in the past month or so Ive actually done some proper work on it...

I bought the car off Tom the guy who owned the flop of a company All Time Industries...when i drove to bristol to look at the car it was pretty awful but it was bought for pretty cheap!
I got the car plus a d16a9 engine, an injection tank, plus the injection engine and dash looms in exchange for a little cash and my old rota circuit 10 wheels from my coupe...

I got the car home and instantly needed to sort out little silly things which I was amazed were missing, didnt notice then until i got home and got the car jacked up...

These bolts where missing off the rear trailing arm setup...it instantly hit me why they went out of business so quickly...i wouldnt want them working on my car...let alone paying for this work...

Anyway those bolts were put in the day after i got the car as I still had my coupe to break a few parts from.

Next I got some new wheels of SimonF on civiclife...just some EK9 replicas 16x7...i thougth 16's might be a bit large for the car but they sit nice enough for me!
And I also got some brand new coilovers. Purchased with Money i got from the Daily Mail and the Telegraph for some good old photo theft!

Heres how the car sat at JAE...has a ghetto rattle can'd paint job due to the car being multiple different colors when purchased...still needs the seals welding which will come very soon!

I ordered all my fuel line parts...concisted of 8m of braided -6an fuel line, an Earls Inline 35Micron Filter, 4-5 Hose ends, a few 90 Degree Bends (WHICH ARE BlOODY PRICEY!) and some thread adapters....

While I waited for these parts to arrive i ripped out the old carb tank...i made the mistake of leaving a 1/3 of a tank of fuel in it...took ages to drain and it was awkward as anything to do...but it all drained it got ripped out...

I bought some adapters they were AN6 to M12x1.5 for the fuel rail and the Fuel Feed on the Tank...once again the internet resource I looked at was a lie...they were actually AN6 to M12x1.25 fittings which I had to reorder...Once they had arrived I could crack on with fitting my walbro 255 and then the lines to the tank...

I originally used a 90degree fitting to get try get the feed back through where the original lines were fed but it didnt work...I ended up guessing where to cut the whole in the rear of the car and it was nearly spot on...used a circle cutter...then i realised that it was literally 2-3mm off...so i just went mad and made it fit...will be neatening it up when i know its all correct!

Once the lines were all in i started to rip the dash out to fit the dash loom and then have it ready for my CRX dash swap to go in...I could of killed myself whilst doing this but it should be worth it...I had a headache at all the wires :/

I got around to tucking the drivers side headlight loom as well...had to extend a few wires but nothing to major...

Then the d14 had to be ripped out...i have a gravel driveway which makes life very hard so i just dropped the engine out underneath the car...and will be using a crane to get the new one in from the top...I then gave the bay a good scrubbing...had CV grease all over the subframe and what ever else it could get to...

I thought I would give my fuel lines a quick test fitting to make sure it will all go in...i basically just wanted to see some bling in the bay for a brief moment...

Ive also fitted some 262mm Front Brakes and Hubs etc...

I also was concerned I was gonna have problems with what gearbox to run my D16Z6 with...i removed the D16A9's box from the engine I had and counted the splines...luckily its the same amount to the z6 which has a lightened flywheel and stage 3 clutch....it was pretty dirty so I got around to cleaning it with masses of gunk and a good old wirebrush and drill :D

Last edited by Site on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:56 am, edited 10 times in total.

Click^^
zakflip
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Re: Civic GL 1990 - Carb to Injection, and D16Z6 Swap...

Post by zakflip »

Good work, looks like you made the most of the Bank Holiday weekend! :top:
1990 Silver ED7 1.6i-16 SOLD
1991 Silver ED7 1.6i-16 SOLD :(
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Nice work man :top:

Damn scary about those bolts being missing :shock:
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
Connarbrown
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Connarbrown »

Wonder why those bolts were missing in the first place? Other than that looks good! Is it staying matt?
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

Those bolts, especially the front one missing is seriously dangerous. Unbelievable that they would sell a car in that condition I'd shop them to trading standards before they kill someone.

Take it that you are going to use the midshaft with the conversion ?
The Z6's generally have the holes for that tapped already even tho they don't use it in the EG's.
Handy :)

Love wiring. Favorite part :)
Lee4391
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Post by Lee4391 »

nominous wrote:Those bolts, especially the front one missing is seriously dangerous. Unbelievable that they would sell a car in that condition I'd shop them to trading standards before they kill someone.

The Z6's generally have the holes for that tapped already even tho they don't use it in the EG's.

This is what I was going to mention. You cant run un equal length shafts with an a9 box, unless you swap the oil seals.

This is looks well. Will keep an eye on it. Top work man.
MrJacobsSedan1992
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by MrJacobsSedan1992 »

That box looks spanking! Nice work man
ED2 sedan-91
avesta89
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by avesta89 »

Site wrote:

looks awsome even with the matt black

is that simmon Fs car ?
Site
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Site »

Connarbrown wrote:Wonder why those bolts were missing in the first place? Other than that looks good! Is it staying matt?
yer sod knows why they were missing...i know they ended up stopping their business because they basically RUINED someones car...and after buying this i can see why...i didnt notice the bolts even after having a quick look under the car...drove it home like 150miles i think on the motorway :| Im hoping to get the car resprayed but im moving to paris for a month or two over summer to squat so it all depends on how much money i come back with really...

nominous wrote:Those bolts, especially the front one missing is seriously dangerous. Unbelievable that they would sell a car in that condition I'd shop them to trading standards before they kill someone.

As i said shocking work, his welds were worse! He said sorry i havent got around to doing the filler...i was like THANK feck you hadnt got around to doing the filler...i didnt want sills welded like that...got 2 spares to get welded on in the next month or two...

Err i have no idea, am i going to have to run the midshaft like on the d16a9? i have them plus the z6 and my d14 shafts....so will try sort something out...

Yer the wiring hasnt been as bad as i thought but i know im going to have to do a bit to get the d16z6 wired up with the d16a9 loom....probably running a lot of extra wires and using half an EG loom anyway :)

Lee4391 wrote: This is what I was going to mention. You cant run un equal length shafts with an a9 box, unless you swap the oil seals.

This is looks well. Will keep an eye on it. Top work man.

So im going to have to use the d16a9 shafts as ive used the a9 (think its an L3 box) ?? or can i just swap the oil seals of the z6 box i have? (i would of used the z6 box with an actuator but my mate blew it to peices at santa pod...can feel bits move around where the driveshafts go in haha)....

thanks will be cracking on when the weathers nice again...want to have the engine in and running at least!
MrJacobsSedan1992 wrote:That box looks spanking! Nice work man
Yer its amazing what 10-15 minutes and a wire brush can do...i dont really like painting engines etc I would rather wire brush and take it back to original or as good!
avesta89 wrote: looks awsome even with the matt black

is that simmon Fs car ?
thanks! i dont mind it in matt black, i just would prefer for once to actually build a nice clean car...my coupe was a bit of a dog but i preferred driving it hard thank staring at it parked up...so didnt want the nicest looking car going....but with the 4th gen i had wanted one before my coupe when i passed my test 3-4 years ago now but i couldnt insure one....now ive got it would like to make it one to keep! and yep thats simons eg...met up just before going to JAE and me and the misses went to help him setup early! just meant i got to start drinking earlier!

Click^^
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

From what i understand you can use the a9 box if you swap the oil seals from the GL box. However The a9 equal length shafts would be a better choice IMO.
mattj
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by mattj »

As stated I'd also prefer to run the equal length shafts, massive reduction of torque steer. Also when you've wire tucked, i'd use some gromit strip around the edges of the hole in the wing. I've seen a few cars have problems occur from wire tucks, having being vibrated while drving and eventually the sharp edges rubbing the way through the insulation on the wires. Looking good though mate, those wheels suit really well.
Site
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Site »

Lee4391 wrote:From what i understand you can use the a9 box if you swap the oil seals from the GL box. However The a9 equal length shafts would be a better choice IMO.
think I will use the a9 shafts...need a bit of putting back together as they had pulled them apart etc as they didnt remove them properly...might even look for a cheap cv rebuild kit so i know they are fresh!

mattj wrote:As stated I'd also prefer to run the equal length shafts, massive reduction of torque steer. Also when you've wire tucked, i'd use some gromit strip around the edges of the hole in the wing. I've seen a few cars have problems occur from wire tucks, having being vibrated while drving and eventually the sharp edges rubbing the way through the insulation on the wires. Looking good though mate, those wheels suit really well.
yer the edges are mega sharp where they have been cut...but yer you have made me think twice im defo gonna cover them up properly...just in case it does slice through and ground something!! yer i like the wheels...just need to get some decent tyres on them when i can afford XD

Click^^
mattj

Post by mattj »

You can get 'gromit strip' from electrical wholesalers, or places like screwfix etc. I'd get a hot glue gun and glue it on though.
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

Sorry, I thought it was previously a carb not a FI.
Wiring wise then, I would make / buy an OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness for the ECU, then the dizzy connectors also need converting.
Cut the plugs off your old dizzy or go raid a scrap yard.
Same goes for the ECU.

No need to replace the whole loom. - stripping down the EG loom and laing over the top is doable, but you've already got FI, so IMO it'll be the harder route.

The only thing the A9 loom is missing is VTEC stuff & O2.
Water temp sensor needs moving and IIRC MAP sensor wires, possibly one of the solenoids (tho that might be a shuttle only thing).
Site
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Site »

mattj wrote:You can get 'gromit strip' from electrical wholesalers, or places like screwfix etc. I'd get a hot glue gun and glue it on though.
will have a look and see what i can find!
nominous wrote:Sorry, I thought it was previously a carb not a FI.
Wiring wise then, I would make / buy an OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness for the ECU, then the dizzy connectors also need converting.
Cut the plugs off your old dizzy or go raid a scrap yard.
Same goes for the ECU.

No need to replace the whole loom. - stripping down the EG loom and laing over the top is doable, but you've already got FI, so IMO it'll be the harder route.

The only thing the A9 loom is missing is VTEC stuff & O2.
Water temp sensor needs moving and IIRC MAP sensor wires, possibly one of the solenoids (tho that might be a shuttle only thing).
Ive already got an obd0-obd1 conversion harness i bought...so i know i need to convert the dizzy plugs gonna get onto that in the next few days hopefully...

i havent got FI....ive been doing the conversion from Carb to FI...but i have an injection interior dash loom and a d16a9 engine loom...which im struggling to work out which plugs are what...im used to obd2 wiring XD but I cant find the MAP sensor plug so gotta give a search for it or just run my own wires and solder a plug on...

Click^^