Fitting a square peg into a round hole

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fitting a square peg into a round hole

Post by nominous »

Well since my sedan got nicked at the beginning of the year the use of it by the Mrs became a bit of a bad idea, considering the circumstances in which wee got it back we decided that it was probably too obvious of a car to leave right back where it was nicked from so we bought a nice diesel for her to use as a daily.

So, I got to play with it more than I would of.
Now originally I wanted to stick a derv lump into it, because she was driving it. her new car means no point to that.

So what other swaps can be done reasonably easily but taking the view of a pikey budget...

Take one working MB6.
Drive it home 200 miles to be sure it's all ok and break it for the running gear.
Sell a couple of bits and weigh in the shell.
For bonus points, chose to break it at the same time as 3 others appear on the various fourms you go on :lol:

Hybrid the wiring harness so that it's all completely removeable (well, just because), thus transplating to new shells is easy enough.
Fuel tank from a 16V (thanks Sordfish), re-using the 8mm hard pipe and run a 6mm rubber pipe from the tank through to the fuel rail. Clip into holes on chassis conveniently left by Mr Honda.

As this car was a manual it had been converted by welding a plate over the auto shifter cables.
Well I discovered in the MB6 that they are all made to be autos!
They fit a plate to fit the shifter hole and a rubber bung for the cables.
The bung would have fit the sedan but the welded plate is doing nicely.
However the metal work fits the sedan like it was designed to and fills in some of the gaps which were previously there. Only two holes to drill. The stock ones get covered up by the plate and a rubber on it :)

Sparing no expense, the shifter linkage from the MB6 was also trimmed down to fit the sedan 8)

As per a recent thread (which is why I've taken some piccies) I've retained the stock cluster.

This came with a VSS which I've wired up to the ECU and also the choke light is now CEL.
Cute :)
Also like the idea of the engine redline being way beyond that of the cluster and at some point I will have the speedo off the clock on some drag strip.
I might reuse the gear indicators as a shift light, or actually use them as gear indicators !! :lol:
I've retained the stock imobillisor from the MB6 too, although I have a clifford to go on at some point. Recycled from an old CRX in fact. Just fitted the same deal to the Mrs new car as I had a few from various broken hondas.

Here is the rub, if you'll pardon the pun.
The B18C4 is a little too tall.

You can probably see the bonnet is a little proud. Well I've dropped the mounts a touch and it's still touching the underside. I think a B16 would have been ok with it. Looks like I'll have to trim the underside of the bonnet webbing. I was reluctant to do this as this was a good bonnet, but like a total utter tit I've just left something on top of the valve cover and slammed the bonnet on it, so hacking will commence this weekend for clearance.

Insurance starts at beginning off August, so then let the fettling begin :)
I've driven it 10ft so far, mainly wheel spinning mos of the way across my concrete paving slabs to test for engine deflection in the custom mounts I built.
Didn't want too spend much on mounts, so I made stock ones fit with a bit of cutting and welding here and there.
Currently got a hasport cable hydro shifter but I will replace that.
I converted the stock pedal box to use a hydro master cylinder and them promptly lost the damn slave cylinder :lol: :roll:
Again, the ethos being don't spend what you can DIY !

Spec (so far...):

nominous engine mounts - have welder and scars to prove it.
D2's - refurbs, lighter springs up front. Might need to change back now it has a B18 in it !!
Wedsport 15's - nearly in need of two new tyres. August should probably sort that !!
282mm front calieprs with 262mm discs
rear drums - will be swapping the prop valve and going for a 1" MC. Might be swapping to MB6 rear calipers (with custom mounting) if I can rebuild the damn things first.
B18C4 with S9B, stock ECU - P28 easy swap but need alarm first!
Bone stock interior, other than gear stick. :roll:
2" powerflow in need of replacement - 2.5" nearly ready for it plus replacement for OEM manifold.

Coming soon, ploy bushes, derust of suspension bits.
Extended ball joints, camber adjustment and full align.
Adaption of PAS to fit the B18.

Might fit my meisters. They've been in thee loft for probably a year waiting to go on the shuttle, but Gizmo will have his running 500bhp before I ever get around to finishing it. :roll:
This is going to be the winter car. The shuttle the summer one. So this needs a bit more work to finish it and finally I can have something fun to drive cos it's been a damn long time !!
jonny f
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Re: Fitting a square peg into a round hole

Post by jonny f »

Awesome!!!
Jared
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Jared »

B18 sedan :O thats fookin epic i want lol nice work man :D
Louis
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Louis »

Nice one Dave.

Why i cant do something like this? lol

Honda Civic DX - D16a9 Conversion - 860kgs
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

Louis wrote: Why i cant do something like this? lol
But you did ? Nice A9 into a DX shell. 8)
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Nice one.

Did you manage to get the wheels back when it was stolen?
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
joe f

Post by joe f »

Love it.
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

Nar they are long gone.
Tho I did find out what they were. I forget again now, but they are standard fitment on something Italian so on ebay from time to time.

I like the Wed's due to the crazy Engrish written on them, but Mrs suggestion of Tein green on the originals may happen again if I were to find a cheap set. Dunno.
PowellyEG
Thats Bostin that is!

Post by PowellyEG »

Dude I mite hit you up on helping me convert my sedan later in the year :-)

How did you find the wiring??
Y U KNOW ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) its all about the Papier-mâché arches.
JDM Collective
The site: http://jdmcollective.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Forum: http://jdmcollective.forumotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JDMCollective" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

I like wiring, so generally ok.
Not having a manual for the MB6 wasn't a huge help, but once all the plastic and tape was off it's just a question of figuring out what to chop out.
Then just shortening everything, cutting out unneeded bits and extending a couple of wires.
Lots of heatshrink and soldering really and the old measure twice cut once.
I busted a faithful old iron in the progess, I've had it 20 years :(

Once you seperate the PGMFI stuff the rest of the loom it's only about 8 wires that actually need to be hooked up beween the two looms.

The adapter loom in the engine bay just takes the oil light, alternator light, RPM signal, temperature plus some power wires back to the main harness.

TBH the wiring took a good while. But it paid off cos the car started up first time without any mis-wires.
PowellyEG
Thats Bostin that is!

Post by PowellyEG »

Oh my..

Sounds like a mission but im not one to be deterred.
Y U KNOW ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) its all about the Papier-mâché arches.
JDM Collective
The site: http://jdmcollective.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Forum: http://jdmcollective.forumotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JDMCollective" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
perfectionist
4GUK Donator

Post by perfectionist »

Love it :top:
A person who wants everything to be perfect and demands the highest standards possible.

Friends call me Nas ;)
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Looks like the peg was a lot smaller than the hole.
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
m@rk
4GUK Donator

Post by m@rk »

b18 4g's :top: ....loved mine

standard map dave??..... are you going to tune/play with it
16i TURBO FOR SALE

pm me if intersted

nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

Stock MB6 ECU at present. Staying as is till the alarm goes in.
Then yes, I will probably switch out the ECU for a P28 with IAB support and have a play with it.