Spence's EF9 siR (Karma)

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Spence
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Spence's EF9 siR (Karma)

Post by Spence »

I have spent the majority of my younger years and driving life buying and selling hondas for profit.

I have never spent a penny or time on any of them to a certain extent.

Now when i own the honda of my dreams i have never had so many problems.

Karma?

Yes i am from Birmingham, yes if your honda has more then 6 owners ive probably owned it at some point, no i have never wound the miles off any of them.
All the ones i have sold have been nice clean straight cars.
They may have had paper mache sills but whatever....

Just kidding.. I often wonder why do us Birmingham lads have such a bad name for ourselves in the honda community. Then i take a drive around town an go, ohhhh yeahhh!

Now im growing up i seem to be spending more time and money on them so i feel its appropriate to have one for keeps and stop selling them and finally give it, the one ive wanted since i can remember the love and care it deserves

So i thought id try to stick to one an represent the good Birmingham guys that werent like me or any of the rest of the traders in Birmingham an hopefully learn somthing about myself in the process.

For those that are like just shutup an show me pictures of Honda goodness without further ado.
It started with.

An it will end with
Basic spec consists of.
B20 built in jdm land
b20b bottom b16a head
Itr Inlet
Itr TB
Itr 4-1 Mani
5zigen exhaust
Insane 2 way diff (Pain in the A$$ cusco? mugen? who knows)
The wheels were removed by Cue as i have no interest in them. Few goodies i found when i started getting rid of the crap inside.
JDM RAINX YO
JDM TOUCH UP PEN YO
COST 100,000 YEN NOT INCLUDING IMPORT FEES YO!
(Will be selling on ebay later for about 700 pounds... jdm scene tax ftl..)
A PIAA nakajima with a very very used potenza track tyre. Shame there werent a set, its very light and i think would look good on this.
Few pics inside.
Bay!
First TOA meet in it.
Changed the steering wheels from
This
To this along with my skunk 2 knob

When i picked the car up the thread had snapped on one of the bolts upon removal of pass front wheel. Then when i changed the wheels a few days later another snapped same side i wouldnt mind but when i did the dirty deed they were only finger tight.
That week i also lost my job but thats another story.
So with that sorted i went to santapod with a friend in his Nova van in hopes to make a base time befor tuning and further messing. But Karma were there to shoot me down with a big fat M16. Had years of selling cars caught up with me? You can make up your own minds about that!
The bonnet pins had failed at 60 mph on the motorway ending up with the bonnet flying up smashing my loverly bronze windscreen and creasing my loverly dentless roof. We werent far from santapod so did the best we could in bodging it all back together and carried on with our journey. Once there met some cracking lads from crx uk and had a lovely day and a good chat with most of you (Sorry dont know names but thanks for taping my bonnet back together i apprichate it haha) Whilst their decided not to run my car as id had enough bad luck that month without adding more. How wrong was i?!

Just getting onto the m5 about 6 miles away from home and my car starts shaking like mad then the smell of burning oil then when i accelerated it pulled me badd to the right when i decelerated bad to the left. By this i'd had enough and decided to carry on my journey home with a very slow 50 mph drive down the motorway, once off it were as if my clutch was slipping bad. My worst fear were that the gearbox had given up so when i got home the next day draged her into the garage and heres where the fun begins.
We later found out that what had actually happened is that the bearings in the driveshaft had given up and spat the driveshaft out from the gearbox which in turn leaked very expensive greeny yellow gearbox oil out of the side and ended up all over the underside of my car
Any idea of a brand? Anyone with any idea about what the oil is at all?

I thought to put the standard y2 box we had lying around as the 2 way were doing my head in with the clunking and banging and shaking. when my dad bought it many moons ago the engine and box only had 14K on them and were taken out of a stolen recovered ee8 that had apparently been in a serious wild police chase.
Being 14k box youd think it were a very good working condition....
Nope.. The gearbox is a dudd wont select 3rd 4th or reverse.

So the car has earned itself the name Karma. But this is my punishment im going to take it like a man an get on with it. Surely it cant get any worse?
Or can it?
I apologise for any iPhone fails that may have incurred during this post.
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Re: Spence's EF9 siR (Karma)

Post by walsh123 »

Bloody hell man thats some bad luck :shock: You've stuck with though, it will all be woth it in the end :top:
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

The only way is up now dude!

:civic:
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
m@rk
4GUK Donator

Post by m@rk »

you know exactly what i think AND said to ya spence........ :not top:
16i TURBO FOR SALE

pm me if intersted

Lee4391
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Post by Lee4391 »

At least with oil that gear box oil everywhere it won't rust ;). keep at it mate will all be worth it in the end.
Spence
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Spence »

Cheers for the kind words... Except you meandmejulie you can get fucked! Haha
You were right tho! Hoping maybe I can dispose of theese bad singing screaming vibes though... ;)

Funny enough Lee my dad said the same thing when it happened! Il call it an expensive explosive waxoil replacement! I say explosive because if you looked under my car looks like I've hit a badger it's bowels have exploded and the remainder of him and his bowels have made it's new home on my car :D
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Spence wrote:Funny enough Lee my dad said the same thing when it happened! Il call it an expensive explosive waxoil replacement! I say explosive because if you looked under my car looks like I've hit a badger it's bowels have exploded and the remainder of him and his bowels have made it's new home on my car :D
:lol: Niice :lol:
1990 Civic VT Daily
Spence
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Spence »

Yesterday was a busy day, after finding out the y2 is absolutely shot and my attempts to source a standard y1 lsd just stupid, Ive decided that my y1 were going to have to go back in despite the shaking, banging and knocking it still has a vicious lsd and its somthing that is really handy to have in any ef. Also we have sorted the driveshaft problems so thought with any luck some fresh oil some sort of additive and the driveshafts would stop the shaking and quieten down the knocking.

I searched the internet a few days befor finally decidiing the above about using different oils in plated diffs im told mine could be a mugen or a cusco 2 way diff but its just word of mouth/peoples oppinions so i took it with a pinch of salt, both being high end diffs i though oil would be key even if it were some odd jdm cheap 2 way! I searched honda tech with little to no luck found myself trawling through page after page of drift forums (as there is obviously more use and knowledge of after market diffs) and had some great ideas but still no concrete evidence it would work on a fwd honda!

So after speaking to Mugen and Cusco about it and both giving similar answers both useful and helpful but both promoting their own oils and at around 30 pounds a ltr not including shipping import tax etc etc it was looking very expensive. I decided in the end to go with http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-415-red-lin ... -mtfs.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and a bottle of "ford friction modifier" Driftworks supplied the oil but couldnt find anyone that had even heard of friction modifier and realising the only way that i will get some is by buying some from the US i will have to do without for now, or order in some redline shockproof additive im undecided yet!

Gunna be putting my old fat 5's on as im struggling for clearence at the moment
After a 300 mile round trip to hull and back and a good chat with Walsh (Pleased to meet you sir) i finally have a oem black bonnet HURRAHH! bye bye shiterglass
Old.
New.
The old man finally doing somthing useful... Haha
With new bonnet, had to tilt the rear to clear the rocker cover.
Random dark picture!

The result and finally a little sunlight, the shaking has gone completely, its not trying to throw me in any direction under light or full acceleration and finally its not knocking on full lock at half/full throttle. It still knocks and bangs and low speeds on full lock but its alot quieter and less irratic an unmanageable, thats without any modifier or addative too so great result im very happy. Means i get to keep my lsd too :D

Ive found a local lad that brakes a few 4g civics so should be able to get a new windscreen albeit not bronze but anythings better then cracked he very kindly deleivered me drivers side seat rails so now i can get rid of the bride and find some recaros to weld in. As for the roof im going to leave it for now and just enjoy the car, it was never preety or show standard so im just gunna call it my stamp somthing to remember whenever i feel the need to sell it. Haha
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Was good to meet you too mate :)

Good to hear the knocking sound has been quietened down, its look good with a standard bonnet on aswell and latch at least you dont have to worry about it flying up again :top:

Also are you going to sell the Bride ? I might be interested as i need another seat for mine to go with the recaro :)
1990 Civic VT Daily
bryan
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by bryan »

looks great man, best of luck with it

that gearbox oil looks bad.

looks like water got in somewhere and made sh!te of it
89' civic EF-3 Si
96' INTEGRA Xi-G 4 door
03' vauxhall corsa sxi 1.7 DTi
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Nice to see a positive update on this thread.
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
FEEL's Civic
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by FEEL's Civic »

PM'd you again mate ;)

As said dude that gearbox oil doesn't look good, it does look like water has got in there at some point, as its like that sludge you get when water and oil is mixed over time. Hence maybe the reason for it loosing its coating and protective capabilities resulting in the bearings going and the diff going noisy?

Who knows. Pretty horrendous luck your having though, keep at it mate.
Garage Velocity - Honda Performance Auto Works ......Building, Breaking & Dismantling, Spares, Parts & Engines..etc

Project Kanjo EC>EF9...... tons of rare JDM parts here we come! SS Works, JUN, Blitz, CRUX, FEEL's, C's, 5zigen, Cusco, Enkei...etc
Spence
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Spence »

So its been a long time since ive updated this, an if im honest it has been a slow progress.

There is so much ive wanted to do but needs a must at the moment, on the plus side ive started a new job so things are back on track so to speak.

Mods ive done!

Front discs were warped so ive chenged them for drilled and grooved items. The problem i faced were my new discs are a fair bit wider then the rover ones. So the 2 guides between the actual floating part saw a little angle grinding action.
Also ive added some recaros from my fellow 4g enthusiast Owen. i quite like them harder wairing then i thought and very comfortable.
Because ive changed the discs i can no longer run the lensos as i have absolutely no clearance, so finally after a lot of messing around i can use the scabby old fat 5's.

Onwards and upwards from here
SuperDOHC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by SuperDOHC »

Good to see updates on this again

It looks much Better with the recaros :top:
ImageImageImage

White GL
Unique Edition
Tahir