How To - Modify seat rails for Recaros

Dedicated to Gizmo and his love for well documented and photographed How To's. Please add comments and pics of your experiences whilst working on your car.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

How To - Modify seat rails for Recaros

Post by Gizmo »

This is a basic guide to fit Recaros into a 4th Gen.

Its not as easy in a 4G due to the un-equal heights of the rails, the Inner rail sits 1.5" higher than the outer rail, making it a pig to fit aftermarket seats!

The bolt pattern width on 4G Seats is 13", on Recaros is 16" (the distance between opposite bolt holes), and on top of that, the Recaro seats have a flat base, 4G seats compensate the height in the rails already with an un-even base.

Heres a quick guide to get them to fit, with pictures!

Id first like to say, that this is how "i" did it, things in this guide might not relate to resources you have and therefore you may need to substitute certain parts.

The seats im fitting are from a 90' Toyota Hilux SSR-G with Factory optional recaro interior, they are pretty old-skool, and known as "Fish Net Recaros"

Here is an overall look of the rail ive made.

The inner rail is to the Left, Outer rail to the right (This is the passenger seat up-side down)

The outer rail can bolt directly to the seat with no issues, it just needs 1 hole drilled, Theres 2 holes on the back section of the rail, use the inner one to bolt it directly to the seat, this hole already exists.

To find the position of the next hole, i got a screw and rested it on the bolt hole in the seat, i then got the rail (Loosly bolted to the other end) and scraped it on the screw, this got me the position to drill the next hole.

The hole i drilled was located here (I forgot to take a picture after i drilled the hole for location :oops: )

Its a bit of a pig to bolt down aswell, if your using the allen bolts that come with the recaro seats, its a bit easier, otherwise its a 10mm bolt. i had to use an allen key through the bolt hole on the runner.

The other side gets a bit tricky, Not only have to got to find a way to position the rail 1.5" from the seat base, but you have also got to find a way to get the rail 3" inwards to the seat!

Now, when i got my seats, they came with the rails from the hilux (Again, as mentioned above, you may have to substitute parts ive used for something else!), Lukily for me, the hilux rails have a section that raises/ spaces the seat, thats exactly 1.5" tall, only problem is, its rivited to the seat runner.

Grinder and 1 minute later, i managed to free it.

I used some paint to locate a hole i drilled on the spacer and drilled a hole.

i then started to work on getting the rail to sit 3" Inwards, i used some 3mm thick L Bar i had lying around, cut it in half, drilled some holes.

And overall look of the outer rail...

Underside.

And there you go! Sorry its not an In-Depth how to, but i just assumed not everone is going to fit Recaro seats from a Hilux, therefore not using parts of the Hilux rail.

Enjoy!
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Nice How-To Giz i might have a go at this tomorrow :)
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Gizmo, king of how-to's.
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
clipsed
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by clipsed »

Very nice seats, how much do those run you guys?
Mfisher
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Mfisher »

Been looking for a guide :D
Owen92
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Re: How To - Modify seat rails for Recaros

Post by Owen92 »

Very good how to, however do you sit really high once the seat is bolted in? I bought a set of evo recaro's and am worried about sitting really high as i like a low seating position, but cannot find any rails for sale, so may have to resort to making some.
Any help appreciated
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

They sit nice and low 8)
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
Owen92
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by Owen92 »

Made and fitted my rails today, used this thread quite a bit for referance, thanks!

Mine also sit nice and low :drivegear:

Cheers for the good how to :top:
gazelle
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by gazelle »

Do all Recaro's have the same bolt hole pattern/arrangement?
richef9
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by richef9 »

Really helpful, I kinda understand but I'll have to give it a think. I got a EP3 Type R red recaro that im struggling to fit.

(ps sorry for raising this post from the dead)
richef9
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by richef9 »

Really helpful, I kinda understand but I'll have to give it a think. I got a EP3 Type R red recaro that im struggling to fit.

(ps sorry for raising this post from the dead)