knock in steering ef2

Brakes, Suspension, Steering, Handling,
HONDAB88
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

knock in steering ef2

Post by HONDAB88 »

my steering has started making a slight knock in the rack when turning the wheel at a standstill, ive replaced both tre's last year and changed powersteering fluid earlier this year to comma ATF.

inner tie rod? wrong grade of oil?

any info appreciated

bryan
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

CV joint?
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image
Craig G
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Craig G »

Oldskool J-EDM wrote:CV joint?
That's what sprang into my mind too.
EDIT *Melbourne Blue Shuttle Crew
Superior Blue Shuttle Crew
EE17 Superior Shuttle
HONDAB88
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by HONDAB88 »

well i replaced both not too long ago and the inner bearings on drive shafts are good i greased them, its not clicking on full lock etc, just the odd knock when turning the wheel when the cars stationary can be felt through the pedal box it has to be from the rack i reckon :?
Colin_D13B
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Colin_D13B »

top mounts??
EF_Russ
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by EF_Russ »

Could be a worn or stiff steering knuckle, it's the part that joins the bottom of the steering column to the rack.
'91 ED7 (Black) 8)
HONDAB88
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by HONDAB88 »

cheers lads

colin ,

top mounts are new with new poly bushings so i reckon thats ok

ef russ,

im thinking the same , theyre a bit of a bolox to replace iirc. hopefully i can get the oem ones as i think the ef2 s limited has a short rack , i could be wrong but it seems a lot shorter than any gl or dx etc that ive owned i may be wrong as the tierod ends are prob the only difference

si,

ive heard that before but always used atf without problems , i might change it anyway just to be safe

edit; ef russ you mean the column knuckle with the 10mm pinch bolt? i get you now :lol: could be i had that out replacing the column bushings, maybe i damaged the knuckle :roll:
EF_Russ
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by EF_Russ »

Yea that's it, the one with the pinch bolt. If you've had it off it may be a case of the knuckle is not fully on and is causing parts of the knuckle to touch on turning. Or could just be worn.
'91 ED7 (Black) 8)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

If its the knuckle i have spare one if need it bud

But i dont see how that would cause the knock ?
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
HONDAB88
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by HONDAB88 »

cheers lads i might pull it out and have a look for wear , it might not be sitting home properly so ill grease it and lock it up with a new bolt
HONDAB88
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by HONDAB88 »

well update , gave the girlfriend the ef2 and she rang me, the car wont go into 1st gear and shudders when in gear. when the clutch is released it wont move and is making noise :cry: i reckon either the 265,000km oem clutch has broken up or pressure plate is fecked or worse the gearbox! hopefully she just popped a shaft, the cars abandoned miles from me! im heading out now to see what i can do with it! hopefully its still there :cry: :cry:
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

:shock: thats bad news mate hope the car is still there, its sounds like a popped shaft if when you release the clutch nothing happens. It happened to my gl after i did the engine conversion one of the clips came off and the shaft just popped out :lol:
1990 Civic VT Daily
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

:lol: ^^^ :lol:

I thought it was just me that had done that but thankfully it didnt knacker the thread on my drive-shaft
1990 Civic VT Daily
HONDAB88
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by HONDAB88 »

well car was there , the vultures were circling though ( boyracers glanzas and civics) no drive going into gear but no bite , shafts look ok reckon the clutch is gone, its oem from factory , was very high bite on it the past two years but never slipped , could be pressure plate or flywheel? cost me 170eur to tow home on recovery truck :evil: :cry: well shes home and safe now so its not too bad , the beaters in primer so its walking for me at the min! :roll: even the tow truck guy said another night here and i would have been stolen or stripped :shock: i might start pulling it apart tomorrow , the bellhousings going to be a bolox! hasn't been disturbed in 20 years :lol: ill bring my trusty pry bar
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Good to hear it was still there mate, im impressed the clutch has lasted aslong as it has :shock:

I wouldnt pry the gearbox off though you might crack it. Just a decent ubber malet and some plus gas :)
1990 Civic VT Daily