Prices of K20 engines!

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
Ben_theEFking
4GUK Donator

Prices of K20 engines!

Post by Ben_theEFking »

Been looking at engines as eventually I want to do a conversion on my ED7.
Ive been looking at all options, B16, B18, B20 etc. I thought Id have a look at k20 engines and I was shocked at how much they have come down in price!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-TYPE- ... 286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-HONDA-CIVIC- ... 286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-TYPE- ... 286.c0.m14

I know a JDM EP3 or DC5 engine would be a much better option because of the extra power and the LSD and I also know its a hell of a job to get a K20 in and running, but there roughly around the same price as a JDM B18.
Would like to know peoples opinions really?

Ben.
91' Civic EE9 I-VT
Tahir

Re: Prices of K20 engines!

Post by Tahir »

efking wrote:.... I also know its a hell of a job to get a K20 in and running...
This is the reason they are so cheap imo.

Id have loved to K20 mine but I could'nt justify all the work and extra money.

Saying that you have a D series chassis so its a tad easier for you.
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
Rich4thGen
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Post by Rich4thGen »

Think Ts right. I think the extra work and cost of putting a K20 in wouldn't be worth it when compared to a b18 swap.
Red EC9 - sold
Red EE9 - sold
Black CRX siR - new toy
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

To do it properly (traction bar, k-pro, hasport header, mounts etc) your looking around £4-5k in parts.

Then there is labour if your getting someone else to do it, which would be a minimum £1200 depending on chassis and how far you want to go with it.
alih369
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by alih369 »

Tahir wrote:To do it properly (traction bar, k-pro, hasport header, mounts etc) your looking around £4-5k in parts.

Then there is labour if your getting someone else to do it, which would be a minimum £1200 depending on chassis and how far you want to go with it.
I dont think it'd cost THAT much bro - but its deffo not cheap.

I've been adding it up recently, and if you wanna build one and get it running its not actually as expensive as people think.

Using a budget traction bar, oem ecu, and a non-branded header alone gonna save you alot of money - and theres lots of other smaller things to do to save money along the way.

Although it wouldn't be the ultimate k-swap, its still gonna be mental, and have room for improvement in the future :)
1988 EC9 D15b Vtec

Tahir

Post by Tahir »

alih369 wrote:Although it wouldn't be the ultimate k-swap...
I get what you mean but that's what I meant when I qouted that price, the ultimate K-Swap.
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

I can't see many reasons to go K-series unless you get a low-miler on the cheap or for longevity with regards to parts availability. Performance wise there is very little difference between the B18 and K20 and they weigh fairly similarly to each other....I guess the K20 can take alot more boost though on stock internals...reliably...but a B-series is a little more raucious and sounds better at full chat IMO.

I reckon you can get all the parts for around £2k as a block, loom and ECU can be had from £1500.
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Even the cheapest K swap is going to cost you around 5k+ if you don't do it yourself.

Engine, mounts, header, driveshafts, ECU, Exhaust, traction bar and then all the other bits and pieces you need such as fuel setup, it all adds up.

And imo the K20 is only worth it if you are going to tune it as it had a lot more tuning potential than the B series, if you are just going to run it stock you may aswell go B series with a few choice upgrades.

B's definitly sound better too. :D
WELLZ
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by WELLZ »

Yeh as echo'd above, the main reason not alot of people are doing K20 swaps is the price to actually get the engine in and running!

Tuning wise, there is a lot more potential with the K20, however throw the £4k you would spend on swap parts at a B Series, and you could have a preety astonishing turbo setup!

I was planning on doing this swap over the winter, however i have now decided against due to the cost and putting the money towards buying a house instead! :lol:

One day though, as i want something different!
'90 B16B ED7! - SOLD :(
'96 Subaru Impreza WRX V-Limited
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

what about B16B? thats the only swop i would consider personally... :twisted:

im going through a similar train of thought, as i need new rings and head work, i may as well do something good, so i may get B16B bottom end with pistons/rods, but im not sure what it entails to be honest :roll:
Last edited by Marc_EE9 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

Ha ha ha and theres me dreaming of a D15 swap :(
No longer on the 'sucker list'
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

widowmaker wrote:Ha ha ha and theres me dreaming of a D15 swap :(
Not many on here can say they drove a brand spanking vt out of a showroom though can they?
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Marc_VT wrote:what about B16B? thats the only swop i would consider personally... :twisted::
Its a good swap, not any better than B18C just different, it can rev more but has less torque at lower revs. With a remap and exhaust mods its a great swap, makes for a very fun but very engaging drive, to get the best possible from it you have to be on it, I've had mine for over a year now and still love it.

im going through a similar train of thought, as i need new rings and head work, i may as well do something good, so i may get B16B bottom end with pistons/rods, but im not sure what it entails to be honest :roll
Should be quite straight forward if you can find a B16B block (not likely), all you would have to do is change a few sensors (as they are located in different places) and get a longer manifold to clear the block.
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

...and a 2.5 inch exhaust system.

Maybe an FPR and defo a remap.
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Tahir wrote:...and a 2.5 inch exhaust system.

Maybe an FPR and defo a remap.
2.5" not needed but definitly of benifit, could run it with the stock ECU if its just the block probably but without a remap you would't see proper benifts.