How To - install front bottom ball joints

Dedicated to Gizmo and his love for well documented and photographed How To's. Please add comments and pics of your experiences whilst working on your car.
danxs
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

How To - install front bottom ball joints

Post by danxs »

right i suppose this is only really half a job as dan very kindly removed the lower ball joints for me as they had seen better days before i got my front knuckles off him

for the first part i presume its a case of mounting the knuckle securely in a vice and hitting it out with a large hammer and a suitable drift. i guess if it doesnt budge you could apply some heat with a suitable blow lamp?

this is what i use and it works fine (12 quid from b&q)

obviously i didnt have to do this first step as my ball joints were removed

i cleaned the hole and removed any traces of dirt and general crap that had gotten in there since the removal of the ball joints and the transit to me.

next i got my ball joints (qh ones, supposedly the same for civic and integra) these were around 13 quid each or so and i removed from the packaging and put them in the freezer for half hour or so while i went about wire brushing and cleaning the knuckles and preparing it in the vice so it was secured well.

next i used the said blow lamp

and applied heat for around 5-10 minutes till the arm was getting very warm (lamp wasnt good enough to make it glow red), it was obvious it was getting hot due to small fragments of the metal glowing orange when heat was applied.

i left my dad to continue adding heat whilst i popped to the freezer to get a ball joint, i covered the boot in tape to protect it a touch from the heat as i pressed it in.

as if by magic it pushed into the hole with my finger as if the hole was way too big. at this point just to make sure i got a 34mm socket and placed on the top of the ball joint and hit it a few times to make sure it was fully seated

by this time the arm had cooled enough to have held the joint in, i left it to cool down then proceeded to do the next arm

:D

very easy, i was suprised how little effort was required to push the joint in.

i-vt gone
b20 gone

mb6 :(
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Nice one!

I was lucky, mine both just popped out!
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
danxs

Post by danxs »

what about back in though? i did try to knock them in first but this way was much much easier and faster and wont damage the ball joints :)

i-vt gone
b20 gone

Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

My Dad did them, took him 10 mins to do the whole job! :shock:

He did say because it was so low, the ball joint was practically out anyways :)
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
danxs

Post by danxs »

it is easy with the right tools but low wont affect the ball joint as its held in by the nut on the underside of the lower arm so it wont matter where that is

i-vt gone
b20 gone

Sowler
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by Sowler »

danxs wrote:it is easy with the right tools but low wont affect the ball joint as its held in by the nut on the underside of the lower arm so it wont matter where that is
Trust me they can come out, like dislocating your shoulder. Ball joint pops out of the socket. I have done it and suffered the damage to my car.

Fitting them, they are easy enough to fit. Just whack it with a decent sized lump hammer.
danxs

Post by danxs »

Ah actually out the socket, i meant its hard for the whole joint to come out. :)

i-vt gone
b20 gone