HID bulbs for the 1.6-16.

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
Soldier456
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

HID bulbs for the 1.6-16.

Post by Soldier456 »

dunno much about these things. My mate put em on his EG, and they are great. They are very bright, and give great visability! Anyone got these? Are they legal? Where do i get em? I know they ain't cheap, and come with some sort of power pack to power them.
simpo
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by simpo »

i had these on my 4g they are gud but if you buy some makesure you get the ones with hi/lo beam. alot are sold with just low beam so when you put hi beam on you have no lights at all. can get them on egay
Soldier456

Post by Soldier456 »

my mate can get some for an EG. Will they fit the same as my ED7?
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

^^^ Yes!

They just need to have the same type of clamping mechanism....e.g. H4/H3/H2..etc bulb fitment. As for legallity, this depends on several factors. First up though you need to grasp the fact that OEM manufactured HID's from the likes of BMW/Mercedes/Lexus etc, utilise the curvature of the reflection plate (the mirror) to direct the angle, and dispersion of the light beam. Halogen systems use this but because the colour temperature is usually around 4K, and uses a much broader colour spectrum, this is not sufficient by itself. So with halogen lamps the glass cover has a pattern on them to assist in the angle and dispersion of the light.

I do not know if the 4th gen Civic's (EDM) glass cover refracts the light correctly....but I don't think it is too far off being correct....I've been told the plastic JDM covered/HID combo are fine for the MOT. Some cars do not work at all well with HID conversions because of the incorrect light refraction from the glass cover.

I would suggest getting 5K or 6K as for colour temperature. My friend has put 8K into his S2000 and they are way too blue IMO...and is consequently getting stopped all the time....and you can't actually see that far with them despite the level of brightness from the headlamps because of the narrow spectum of light.

The power pack is called a 'ballast' and they will tuck nicely, immediately below the headlamp/behind the front bumper with some cable ties. For MOT time, I personally would just unplug the ballast/HID bulb and lead and whack in the original bulbs in place.....or at least go to a friendly testing centre and bring the originals with you.

As already mentioned there are generally 2 types of kits. You want the HI/LO beam kit that does both main and high beam applications. This will only differ to having a seperate Hi and Lo setup if you have the JDM twin headlamps.

I shall be getting some for my GL soon and have opted for the 6K HI/LO...and can be picked up from around £50-£60.

Hope this helps :wink:
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Id opt for more expensive ones more than the cheap ones.

Local lad here with a Pulsar got some ebay jobbies for £60, and they glare WAY to much! they BURN MY EYES!!!

Some guy on CRX-UK called "Hondaoflove" sells sets for £120 for a hi/lo kit with very good results
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
jinjur
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by jinjur »

I stuck a set of "Pilot" branded HI/LO ones off eBay.

There are plenty of 50-60 quid kits out there and they are complete turd.

These worked out at about 110 delivered from HK with a Paypal discount and they are bloody excellent.

Just DONT buy cheap as i have heard of horror stories with our cars about them melting the reflectors inside the lights :shock:

JJ
Andy @ Belfast @ Northern Ireland
=============================
1990 Civic 16i-16 - matt black - evil
Soldier456

Post by Soldier456 »

cheers for the advice peoples. :D
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

jinjur wrote:i have heard of horror stories with our cars about them melting the reflectors inside the lights :shock:
I have heard this about alot of cars...although...I am wondering if this is just a myth as I have never met anybody that has had a problem with them. Some of the cheaper kits are a bit crappy....but there are some cheap ones that are fine. To be safe though, get a recomended brand.
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image
jinjur
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by jinjur »

Oldskool J-EDM wrote:
jinjur wrote:i have heard of horror stories with our cars about them melting the reflectors inside the lights :shock:
I have heard this about alot of cars...although...I am wondering if this is just a myth as I have never met anybody that has had a problem with them. Some of the cheaper kits are a bit crappy....but there are some cheap ones that are fine. To be safe though, get a recomended brand.
Marty55 on CRX-UK is one of the guys i know this happened with and had to source new headlights which as you all know aint too easy....

Better safe than sorry.

JJ
Andy @ Belfast @ Northern Ireland
=============================
1990 Civic 16i-16 - matt black - evil