my new projects page for the GL!

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
jamcgee11
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

my new projects page for the GL!

Post by jamcgee11 »

Hi my name is James (quick hello to Si, Ed and Pete hope you guys are well and the motors are tip top - sorry for the not getting on site recently damn work). Iam a mad air traffic controller Manc currently residing in sunny Troon Scotland who loves 3 things.

Flying
ImageImage

Elbow

and my GL H894 NRD (nicknamed the Nerd from work)

ImageImageImage

a trusty 1.4 manual which i have had for just under 4 years now and today with the help of mate Pete (Old Skool J-EDM) i have decided to start going beyond just servicing the car. I thought for its 160,000 birthday soon i would start modding her lol!

Now i know she has 160k on the clock but you just cant beat the ride in a 4G am i right........and i love my car as standard god knows what it can be turned into with a bit of dosh and alot of time......so whilst i wait for my dream car

my attention is focused solely on this silver 4g.....

Have just done the carb mod today, what a difference. Will put my pics and my guide to help all you guys if you get stuck. previously i removed the air box vent, replacing the fuel filter, oil filter, plugs (ngk), air filter (not a k&n yet but saving for one), a back box (cheers si) and replaced the bushes with blue print one (cheers ed), managed to get my heater to work on number one (the best post ever )

by the way if you know any one who wants to join the dark side and take my other beast let us know have to service her and as soon as that is done she is good to go...i love the celica but i love the 4G more - my girlfriend just doesnt understand lol!

Image Image

will post my carb mod pics tomorrow and going to have a shot at tappets and timing tomorrow - cheers for looking!
Last edited by jamcgee11 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

Glad to see/hear you are well and still loving the 4g :D

Will you be making the trip to JAE ?
No longer on the 'sucker list'
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

Hey, nice one James

...only took nearly a year for you to start your diary...lol :lol: (still waiting for yours Si/Ed?? :roll: )

Well I am glad that you have a tiny bit more time now to start giving the 'Silver Bullet' some toys 8) Hope to see you on here ALOT more. :wink:

Peter

D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

Point taken Peter

I will get on it :oops:
alih369
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by alih369 »

GL's.. you gotta love em :D

Best of luck with the build mate, make her special!
1988 EC9 D15b Vtec

jamcgee11
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by jamcgee11 »

cheers man, gonna do the tappets today and give it a good polish (any advice for a tappet newbie)

when payday arrives

am gonna wrench that damn rusted manifold out of the engine bay
and replace this .....and hopefully the exhaust the month after:

the exhaust system is the one thing that has to be changed first.....its situation critical seriously its embarrassing driving to work with the current manifold rattling and the exhaust blowing albeit Si's back box is still going strong

:top:

As for the JAE meet will keep you posted working mornings on the sat/sun but am 90% i can get the leave
Last edited by jamcgee11 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamcgee11
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by jamcgee11 »

Alih369,
hello mate cheers for the post , what have you done to her this is kind of the look i was after.

Oh disregard mate just seen your section will check it out
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

The 4-2-1 manifold will make a huge difference both in power and sound. Definately the best ££££ i have spent on mine.
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

widowmaker wrote:The 4-2-1 manifold will make a huge difference both in power and sound. Definately the best ££££ i have spent on mine.
Agreed! 8)

Hahahaha :lol: ...I spy ...someone going for a spin round the block in a Boeing 777 :shock: :lol: Don't get that happen much on 4GUK :lol:
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

im guessing u know a few of the guys already

welcome dude!
WELLZ
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by WELLZ »

welcome dude! You got balls, id never fly a plane lol!

:civic: looking well!
'90 B16B ED7! - SOLD :(
'96 Subaru Impreza WRX V-Limited
TG1

Post by TG1 »

i'd fly a plane, its crashing one i wouldnt fancy!
jamcgee11
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by jamcgee11 »

cheers si had a crack today with no hassle i know what you mean about the in/exhaust next time something as simple as that would take the hassle out of it.
still unsure what little resistance meant with regard to feeler settings but i basically took thinnest gauge of the two ie: 17mm - 22mm and made sure the 17mm was snug (like a warm knife thru butter - stupid comparison but the only one i can thing of) and the 22mm only just didnt get through. It does sound better but a proper tune up by someone with a bit of experience is certainly on the cards. will put my how to on the forum with pics in the next few days maybe it will help the next guy) and also a how to for the carb mod(god i love it) took a quick trip round the block today after the tappets and the carb mod done!! cant wait for the manifold Ed thats why i went for it if it really does contribute so much then for the money you cant argue with it and it looks beefy!

TG1: lol1! ye you can land anywhere once...........

Marc VT: ye i met Ed last year he kindly spent the whole day with me in southampton helping to get my car back on the road after the MOT wanted just shy of a grand to fix it....bugger that i thought and put a post on the forum for some help which is were i spoke to si for advice and (alot - cheers again) and Pete (Old Skool J-EDM) well we have been best mates since school and are Honda nuts
albeit Iam a bit of nube trying to learn the more advanced stuff.....

quick one guys does this look like a healthy spark plug...

apparently light brown is good/ white is lean and black is rich with regard to mixture settings....would like to get this sorted before the mods begin....
Last edited by jamcgee11 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

Good progress indeed 8)
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

cryz2 wrote:also , looks like you need and oil change too
:shock: ...how black? I have to say, mine looks no where near as dark :shock: ....GUNK time I believe.
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto