The White Wagon

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The White Wagon

Post by Gizmo »

I will, eventually, Mini-Me the beater, as i have 2 good Z6's heads in the shed. But thats going to be something down the road before the end of the year. Will eventually swap over the full Exhaust system from Wagon Attack.

No pics of the mani underneath?
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
BiMU
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by BiMU »

A bit of an update. Not good unfortunately - turns out its over heating and burning oil. Sad times - worst case scenario is that it's dud head. Should be looking at replacing the thermostat to see if that does anything then go onto the next thing.

Anyone have any simple checks I can do apart from compression test? Compression reads fine on cylinders.

Sigh. Cars aye!
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

For the dish you paid. I hope it gets sorted quickly...
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

Gizmo wrote: No pics of the mani underneath?
Yeah.... :lol:

Got mine running up for the MOT this week.
The engine was seriously overheating after getting up to temp. Chucking a good 500ml into the expansion bottle.
Stuck the fan on full time and it's solved. Maintains constant temp now even with a damn good trashing.
Figure it's the thermostat too, if not an air lock (been stood all winter with no pipes or coolant!). Tho the EG rad probably doesn't help.

Wire up the fan and go for a run.
Make sure you have some coolant in the expansion bottle.
At the min line. Check the level when you get back. And then again when it's cool.
BiMU
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by BiMU »

nominous wrote:
Gizmo wrote: No pics of the mani underneath?
Yeah.... :lol:

Got mine running up for the MOT this week.
The engine was seriously overheating after getting up to temp. Chucking a good 500ml into the expansion bottle.
Stuck the fan on full time and it's solved. Maintains constant temp now even with a damn good trashing.
Figure it's the thermostat too, if not an air lock (been stood all winter with no pipes or coolant!). Tho the EG rad probably doesn't help.

Wire up the fan and go for a run.
Make sure you have some coolant in the expansion bottle.
At the min line. Check the level when you get back. And then again when it's cool.
I'll get a pic this week as it's now in my drive! Just waiting on a thermostat then will go for a run, just makes me so sad that it's sitting there - just like Gizmo's sweet prince.

Do you have any recent pics of yours?
Jamez1087
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Jamez1087 »

Im liking the sound of this mini me vtec, not massively good with engine work personally, although i may try it on my donor. Out of curiosity how much did endless charge?
BiMU
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by BiMU »

Jamez1087 wrote:Im liking the sound of this mini me vtec, not massively good with engine work personally, although i may try it on my donor. Out of curiosity how much did endless charge?
It was around £350 for labour, it was the parts that was a huge chunk of the bill to be honest. So if you could find all the parts for the Z6 build slowly you could do it on a budget. Depends how much money and time you want to spend really.

Also have a bit of an update. So firstly thought it was the thermostat, replaced that, then tried a new radiator, replaced that. Then after all that it didn't start and suspected head gasket failure as had the mayo in the head. Had to get the head pressure tested to make sure there were no cracks, then faced off the head as it was out by 5 thou or something - this is what probably caused all the problems. So with that it's all back together and now up and running, I've been pottering about not trying to rag it, but I can't help but floor it coming out of corners (woohoo for AWD). Ironically the head was one of the most important parts of the build but it was one of the cheapest parts coming in at £25 - so for anyone who's going to do the conversion, make sure all the parts you gather are in good working order.

Next weekend I have the Players Show at Goodwood. It's mostly a VAG show but last year they had a few other marques - I applied for a show and shine pass which basically gives me onsite parking and got it surprisingly. So I've decided to go with a Hawaiian/Tiki theme for the Shuttle so I have the following:

Hula shaky hips girl.

Hawaiian leis

Tiki style fencing stuff that I've just used as makeshift blinds

I've also temporarily taken off the front numberplate as I just wanted to see what it was like without one and I kinda like it.

I do have to tidy up the original numberplate holes so will try and find some grommets or end caps to blank them off. I have the numberplate rubberbanded onto the passenger visor so when I'm rolling I'll put it down and when static shove it up out of the way. I should have some more bits and pieces coming over the week so I'll try and update.