Prices of K20 engines!

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
COSWORTH
**Trader**

Post by COSWORTH »

Yep its the b18c4, mb6 vti-vtis have the same running gear although it is often said that only the vtis comes with a lsd box which is a myth.

I'm having such a good time..
alih369
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by alih369 »

A B18c4 is what im about to drop into my EC9.

And yes, all S9B gearboxes come with LSD, irrelevant of trim (vti or vti-s).
1988 EC9 D15b Vtec

Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Chris.p wrote:whats everyone's thoughts on putting the civic vti-s B18 in? there pretty cheap
i was just about to mention that

added bonus of an LSD ;)

they are 170bhp standard. could put in some uprated cams etc and would make good power
Ben_theEFking
4GUK Donator

Post by Ben_theEFking »

EE9 CVC wrote:
efking wrote:I think you could do the K20 swap for around 3.5-4k all in.
If you used cheap or second hand parts and did all the work yourself then you probably could. But whats the point of doing a half assed job?

Everything I do I do properly and to the best possible standards, so if I was to do a K20 swap it would have to be done perfectly.
It wouldnt be a half arsed job! Im just saying that you could get it up and running for that and add to it in the future!
91' Civic EE9 I-VT
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Chris.p wrote:whats everyone's thoughts on putting the civic vti-s B18 in? there pretty cheap
Would make a good engine for a daily driver.
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

how would a ITR swop compare to a B20 conversion?
daz-civic
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by daz-civic »

i personally dont think those engines are cheap at all especially when you can get an actuall type r thats taxed and moted for £4000 and now think how much an accident damaged one would cost but lets say half taht so thats 2k for a whole car pull out all the bits you need and sell the rest yould end up with a k20 for free
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

daz-civic wrote:i personally dont think those engines are cheap at all especially when you can get an actuall type r thats taxed and moted for £4000 and now think how much an accident damaged one would cost but lets say half taht so thats 2k for a whole car pull out all the bits you need and sell the rest yould end up with a k20 for free
Thats a good way to do it, but you also want to make sure you are getting a decent engine that is not already knackered.
daz-civic
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by daz-civic »

EE9 CVC wrote:
daz-civic wrote:i personally dont think those engines are cheap at all especially when you can get an actuall type r thats taxed and moted for £4000 and now think how much an accident damaged one would cost but lets say half taht so thats 2k for a whole car pull out all the bits you need and sell the rest yould end up with a k20 for free
Thats a good way to do it, but you also want to make sure you are getting a decent engine that is not already knackered.

ye i know or i would have said cars from 3k lol as there's one for sale on pistonheads with 70k and a knock on the bottom end, some people dont deserve cars if they aint gona look after them

but doing it my way you might get lucky and end up in profit and be able to buy the other bits such as mounts etc
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Marc_VT wrote:how would a ITR swop compare to a B20 conversion?
I reckon a well built B20 will slaughter a stock B18 in an equivalent car. From the line it wont make much of a difference but up top it would be a hell of a difference, in the Torque that is.

All in my opinion.

We shall soon find out anyways, as my mates EF9 has just been B20'd (Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods, S2 Pro 1 cams, Hytech Tri-Y etc) he gets it back soon 8) 8)
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Tahir wrote:
Marc_VT wrote:how would a ITR swop compare to a B20 conversion?
I reckon a well built B20 will slaughter a stock B18 in an equivalent car. From the line it wont make much of a difference but up top it would be a hell of a difference, in the Torque that is.

All in my opinion.

We shall soon find out anyways, as my mates EF9 has just been B20'd (Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods, S2 Pro 1 cams, Hytech Tri-Y etc) he gets it back soon 8) 8)
excellent 8)

a B20 conversion is roughly the same price as doing an ITR swop?
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Not the above spec, no chance. That engine probs cost him about 2.5k, thats just the engine.

A stock B20b/z block with a vtec head, ITR cams etc is roughly the same cost as a B18c swap.
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Tahir wrote:Not the above spec, no chance. That engine probs cost him about 2.5k, thats just the engine.

A stock B20b/z block with a vtec head, ITR cams etc is roughly the same cost as a B18c swap.
yeh sorry, i was under the impression those uprated parts were needed, im a bit new to the b20 conversion really
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Next weekend, wehn you go to see Daz, he will tell you all you need to know and more about B20's :wink:
alih369

Post by alih369 »

For the same money i think you can build a B18 that makes the same power as a B20 vtec, is more fun, and more reliable.

Lots of planning and money is needed to build a proper B20 vtec - just not worth it imo. Is awesome though if you wanna spend the cash lol :)
1988 EC9 D15b Vtec