NH-537 M 91 i-vt!

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
davidT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by davidT »

Think id go for fixed position ones! but would need to be comfortable for long distance. Also once the car is at the body shop im going to see about my car becoming a tin top :shock: :twisted: , The only worry i have about it is that it will be alot more flexable than the rest of the roof?

Dose anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

I like the full interior look, but it would also look good with full front interior and refurbed VT seats with a stiped out rear with a cage and so on.

davidT wrote:The only worry i have about it is that it will be alot more flexable than the rest of the roof?

Dose anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?
Not really sure what you mean. :?
davidT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by davidT »

well if i was to have a sheet welded over the sunroof whole would it not be pretty flexable? haha sorry if im not making any sence!
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

davidT wrote:well if i was to have a sheet welded over the sunroof whole would it not be pretty flexable? haha sorry if im not making any sence!
i know what you mean.
if you had a very good welder who can spot it on with the right curve needed, and flush off without much filler, i wouldnt see it being a problem, ie not warping or cracking the paint.
but im sure they will need to have a support piece welded to a frame to support it. on a tintop the support under the skin would go across the sunroof, then with a sunroof its missing that point, and therefore giving a point to flex diagonally, but only ever so slightly
Last edited by Marc_EE9 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

davidT wrote:well if i was to have a sheet welded over the sunroof whole would it not be pretty flexable? haha sorry if im not making any sence!
The only way to make it tin top is to remove your whole roof and replace it with a roof from a tintop 4G. The roof metal is too thin to weld.

Other than that your only over option is to get a carbon bung made up and get it bonded in place, this would allow you to remove the glass (obviously) and the motor and most of the other stuff from it.

Saying as this is going to be a proper build I'd go the full way and get the roof swapped.
Dan
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by Dan »

Looks like a great build - hopefully yours won't take as long as mine :lol:

As for the roof, i remember seeing a tintop swap being done - its a windscreen out job, but looked spot on when it was done - As Ian said - you might as well go all the way 8)
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Dan wrote:Looks like a great build - hopefully yours won't take as long as mine :lol:
Have'nt heard anything of yours recently Dan, whats happening, you need a build up page.
davidT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by davidT »

Dan wrote:Looks like a great build - hopefully yours won't take as long as mine :lol:

As for the roof, i remember seeing a tintop swap being done - its a windscreen out job, but looked spot on when it was done - As Ian said - you might as well go all the way 8)
That would be okay as all the windows are coming out for the paint!

Think im going to get a quote on it and see how much its going to be for getting the roof with postage etc and also seeing if the bodyshop is even up for doing it!!
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

davidT wrote:

That would be okay as all the windows are coming out for the paint!

Think im going to get a quote on it and see how much its going to be for getting the roof with postage etc and also seeing if the bodyshop is even up for doing it!!

I posted a good link where a guy in the US did a tintop swop on a white 4G... but i cant find it

he drilled out the spot welds along the roof gutters and then welded the new roof in
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

Kanda has just had this done.
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
Dan

Post by Dan »

Thats the one I saw to Marc - I can't find it again either :lol:

Was it on honda-tech?
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Dan wrote:Thats the one I saw to Marc - I can't find it again either :lol:

Was it on honda-tech?
no i found it, i was looking for pics of a tintop conversion... it is posted on 4guk somewhere :(
davidT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by davidT »

Not updated this for a while. The cars in my garage just finishing stripping the rest of the parts off it! so since its going to be in the body shop for a while getting its respray i thought i may aswel start getting some bits i can work on!

So i decided id go for a s2000 speedo!! :twisted:

EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Good luck with the S2000 clocks 8)

I had thought of getting them at some point, but they don't read high enouth. :lol:
davidT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by davidT »

Yeah i thought about that, you can adjust the red line tho! so you can get 9500 out of them 8) .

hoping to get started on them soon!!