EFK9 B16B - The Speedboat

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Ben_theEFking
4GUK Donator

Re: EE9 B16B - The Speedboat

Post by Ben_theEFking »

Exhaust looks awesome mate! How does it feel now? Awesome I bet! 8)
91' Civic EE9 I-VT
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Glad to see you've got it all sorted. Tailpipe looks good, I want a nosey at the rest of the system though.

I want to know how you found the B16B, Bet you liked the sound it made.
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

It has a nice low subtle rumble, you can tell it has an induction kit, but not over obvious.

I will get some more pics up tomorrow. The backbox is a bit smaller and over to one side a little as they have put a flange above the axle, so the pipe that goes into the backbox is curved as it goes it, looks cool in a race car kind of way. :P

It just amazing taking it to 9000rpm. Daz asked where I wanted the rev limit, and I thought 9500 might be a bit too ambitious although they do still make good power up there.

I couldn't really test the LSD out tonight, as its quite greasy out and raining, but 1st gear going round a corner is fun! :o
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Surprised its not more of a screamer, mine was really loud from induction and exhaust at anything over 5000rpm full thorottle.

9000RPM is good isn't it. They can rev to 9000 RPM all day stock but theres no way I'd ever take it past that without upgrades. Also I don't know who told you they make power up to 9500rpm but thats just wrong, the only way it would make power that high was if it had some big crazy aftermarket cams. With stock cams they definitly start to drop off quick if you go above 9k.

2nd gear is the gear I'd expect you to notice the diff most in. Try putting your foot down on 2ns and 3rd gear corne exits, you should find you can put full power down earlier than you could with the open diff.
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

EE9 CVC wrote:Surprised its not more of a screamer, mine was really loud from induction and exhaust at anything over 5000rpm full thorottle.
I meant at cruising speeds. TBH I've been paying more attention to the road, and not crunching 3rd gear at the moment. But yeah it definately screams.

EE9 CVC wrote:9000RPM is good isn't it. They can rev to 9000 RPM all day stock but theres no way I'd ever take it past that without upgrades. Also I don't know who told you they make power up to 9500rpm but thats just wrong, the only way it would make power that high was if it had some big crazy aftermarket cams. With stock cams they definitly start to drop off quick if you go above 9k.
I might of got that wrong. I've been talking a lot of Honda with people recently :lol:

Vtec crossover is definately different to the A1. With my old engine as soon as it hit 5k it was off, and the B seems to pick up more after 7k, but still a crossover at 5k.

2nd gear is the gear I'd expect you to notice the diff most in. Try putting your foot down on 2ns and 3rd gear corne exits, you should find you can put full power down earlier than you could with the open diff.
Thats the thing, I can't really in 2nd as I will get an aweful crunch into 3rd, and not many corners I can exit or go round in third, not round here anyway. Just need to get use to it and start driving it, but I have decided to not drive when it's raining now. Mainly because the new position of the air filter, and I'm getting to that point where it's a proper driving car now and I don't need to use it for work or anything. Higher costs of fuel don't help either.
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Man now your car is well sorted!
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
callum0892
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by callum0892 »

Have you thought about hydrolock problems??
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

callum0892 wrote:Have you thought about hydrolock problems??
I don't know what you mean..?
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

Marc_EE9 wrote:
callum0892 wrote:Have you thought about hydrolock problems??
I don't know what you mean..?

Low filter, heavy rain.
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Ow, well hence why I'm not driving the car in the rain...
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

The only way you could ever get hydrolock problems was if you completly submerged the filter. I've had that filter setup for years and I drive in the rain, after modding the arch liner (just used a sheet of plastic to seal it off) in the wheel well so water couldn't run down the back near the filter, the filter doesn't even doesn't even get wet.

The only thing that could cause a problem would be very deep puddles, but I wouldn't have my car out in a flood so thats never going to be a problem.
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

It's been well made, but I'm not too happy with the backbox position or that angled pipe on the right. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they will alter it for me.
2b4u
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by 2b4u »

9k RPM and exhaust :top: well done mate. You need a proper photo session for that "Speedboat", PM me if you interested :wink:

Honda i-VT H2B
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Thanks, but I may have something in the pipeline already. 8)

Marc_EE9 wrote:I'm not too happy with the backbox position or that angled pipe on the right. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they will alter it for me.
Getting it altered on the 16th. 8)
callum0892
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by callum0892 »

IIRC, didnt you have some custom stickers made for this? 1.6-iR?