been "told off" for the Spec II

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

been "told off" for the Spec II

Post by Gizmo »

In the carpark earlier, chatting to mates as usual, been parked up, engine off for bout half hour.

then this copper comes in, not to do me, but some other bloke whos been ragging his 106 round the 1 way system (which he does, like a twat).

Anyways, one looks at my car, and shouts, "is this the one with the stupidly loud exaust"

I replay, "Maybe".

So, he asked me to turn it on, so i did, started and sat at 800rpm, and asked me to rev it, i sorta paniced, because at 2500rpm, it "snaps", so i just bliped it, and it went to 3000rpm, Oh joy.....(Crowd of people watching now, as my mates KNOWN how loud it is)

So he pointed at it, and went "Thats Stupidly Loud! you went through the town center 2 weeks ago (EF2 been sat on the road with flat battery for 2 weeks), i saw you on my day off going up and down, and the exhaust drowned out all noise, i couldnt hear my wife speak, and it pissed me off"

(So Wait, hes having ago at me for pissing him off on his day off? 2 WEEKS AGO!)

So, he then told me to sort it out, make it quieter, so i told him i had a custom Bung/ Baffle at home for trackdays, and ill use that, they then left.

Didnt give me a fine or anything.

Tossers
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Can they do you for it without some kind of test?

I heard mine without a backbox today and it was stupidly loud, sounded good though, I wouldn't have minded taking here up the gears to see what it is like. :lol:
WELLZ
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by WELLZ »

I would have told him to do one, if he asked me to start it! :twisted:
'90 B16B ED7! - SOLD :(
'96 Subaru Impreza WRX V-Limited
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

lol

they have to be under 100 or 102dB for trackdays dont they? somewhere near that

im sure they have some kind of gadget to test it, if not they will be sure to get one made
browndk04
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by browndk04 »

DB meter yeah. And they can fine you £30 if it's above the vehicles standard db level. I know i've been fined twice, once more and it's hello asbo ...again :oops: I can understand yeah it annoys some people but it's not hurting anyone. Pisses me off :evil:
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

cryz2 wrote:DB meter !!!
Yep!

In the U.K. there are no official laws defining at what dB level a vehicle becomes illegal....yet! (due in 2010). Although I believe there are more strict guildlines towards motorcycles.

There is however a law (since 1970) that states that a stock OEM exhaust is not allowed to be made louder by modification. And an aftermarket exhaust is not allowed to be 'excessively loud over a similar car of same model/engine type fitted with an average condition OEM exhaust'.....or wording to that affect (I don't own an MOT manual)

There is no legal dB limit / meter test laid down by VOSA....although there is under the Environmental Health act which states that ANY "noise from a vehicle should not be excessivley loud" ...and as such should not be heard from more than approximatley 300ft away.

If you were unfortunate enough to be sumonsed to a Magistrates Court.... your defence should be to draw upon the comparrison with an ice cream van on full chat and the discrimination against your vehicle. This has been a winning arguement in countless cases across the U.K as most modern vans are fitted with a 120dB capable speaker (same type as a car alarm).

This 'loophole' was first brought to light by Wayne Harris, the sound-off legend and creator of dB Drag Racing, he successfully helped defeat the "boom car" legislation in Arizona...which has spread throughout USA, which evidence has since been used here in the U.K.....successfully.....so throw that lot at your local Bobby next time he has a grumble at your exhaust!

On the otherhand, your exhaust is frakin loud Gizmo! :lol:
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

bah, just annoyed me, as its been sat with a flat battery for the last 2 weeks, and i managed to jumpstart it using my missus's car so took it for a leasurly spin, not loudness or anything (not on cold anyways).

and then this :?
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Some coppers cant stand old cars, I dont know why. They always look at some excuse to slate it.

I once got pulled on the motorway, copper goes to me can I ask why you have a dustbin on the back ofyour car (5zigen fireball), I said to him can you tell me why you walk around with condom hats on :lol:

Tossers
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
Soldier456
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by Soldier456 »

Oh dear Giz! My mate is selling his spec II now cos he can't be bothered with the hastle! Grannys shaking there sticks at him, dogs barking at him, police givin him evils!!! :evil: Whenever we drive past police..... Clutch down, coast!!!!! 8) Don't hold me to this, but if we can get the money we want for the spec II without the bung, Then you can have it mate. :wink:
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Need bung! :lol:
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

...all you need Gizmo is an appropiately placed 'back-fire' to deafen all of your neighbourhood...then they won't be able to hear you any more. :lol:
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
WELLZ
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by WELLZ »

My mate an MOT tester, and has just told me there is new legislation that an exhaust cannot be louder than an OEM system? Whether this only apply to cars over a certain age, i dont know?
'90 B16B ED7! - SOLD :(
'96 Subaru Impreza WRX V-Limited
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

WELLZ wrote:My mate an MOT tester, and has just told me there is new legislation that an exhaust cannot be louder than an OEM system? Whether this only apply to cars over a certain age, i dont know?
Re-read my post...it is explanined there...this rule has stood since 1970.

....They have not finalised the 2010 legislation:...because they are trying to enforce a measurable noise limit by vehicle model and chassis No..... the problem is that some vehicles OEM exhausts design may change throughout the life/course of its manufacture...and hence dB output may differ....although the model and chassis No. of the vehicle will stay the same.
Last edited by Oldskool J-EDM on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Oldskool J-EDM wrote:
WELLZ wrote:My mate an MOT tester, and has just told me there is new legislation that an exhaust cannot be louder than an OEM system? Whether this only apply to cars over a certain age, i dont know?
Re-read my post...it is explanined there...this rule has stood since 1970.
ive just had my mot re-test today, and nothing mentioned. but that was before the skunk2 decat was fitted :twisted:
daz-civic
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by daz-civic »

and it says nothing on the vosa site about it
but it does say this
MOT testing stations are not required (or permitted) to
use noise meters assess the levels of exhaust noise