tech specs wanted

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
yarmouth civic

tech specs wanted

Post by yarmouth civic »

hi all !! im new to this forum (was at 105speed.com before ! if you like ford anglias??)

anyway ive just brought a 1990 1.4 16v dual carb civic from ebay (51 quid with mot!!)
ive read what a lot of you are experiencing and mines the same :cry:

1/ sounds like a diesel !
2/ bad smell of petrol !
3/ i want more power !!

also as it was smashed up a bit (maninly bumper /indicator and bumper apron) most of it fixed now! ive converted the front sidelights to indicators but the bulbs i got were only 5 watts so indicators flash fast

does anyone know if you can get bulbs to fit the sidelights in amber at higher wattages??

also im after tech info for valve clearances and what the timing should be?
any help would be great as id normally go to the local libary and get a haynes manual from them (lot cheaper than buying one!!)

thanks in advance and hope there are some more civic owners near me!!

happy motoring :)

simon
SteveRowe
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by SteveRowe »

ford anglia !!!your the man !!! c'mon the classic fords hope uve bought your copy already 8) bought mine :D welcome to the site mate
yarmouth civic

tech specs

Post by yarmouth civic »

hi and thanks cryz2 & steve !! just the info i needed !!
as for classic ford mag .... i gave up buying it ,i just read it in asda while the other half is looking at her mags lol

simon
SteveRowe
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Re: tech specs

Post by SteveRowe »

yarmouth civic wrote:hi and thanks cryz2 & steve !! just the info i needed !!
as for classic ford mag .... i gave up buying it ,i just read it in asda while the other half is looking at her mags lol

simon
ahhh.. a part time fordy eh *shakes head * tut tut lol
yarmouth civic

tech specs

Post by yarmouth civic »

lol i can only afford 1 car at a time !! last anglia i had (astra 1.8 inj with opel manta g/box)i had to break it as it was too far gone ..even for my welding expertise

plus i have no garage and wanted something i could just jump in and drive so for 51 quid plus front set of brake pads and a front bumper ...bargain car !!
just done the carb mods today and it did improve !!

whats the best thing to do with the exhaust for more power (cheaply) do away with the back box and put a more freeflowing box on it ?? i was thinkung about cutting the rear box open and gut it then weld it back up ??
any 1 done a good exhaust mod on the cheap ??

simon
SteveRowe
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Re: tech specs

Post by SteveRowe »

yarmouth civic wrote: wanted something i could just jump in and drive
lol but the old stuff it the best , take my mini , sometimes the lights work , if they dont leave it 2days and they start working again great fun :lol: ull miss the retro feel :P
yarmouth civic

tech specs

Post by yarmouth civic »

cryz2 ive got no probs welding as thats my trade ! a write up on those mods would be great ,i just didnt know what would be best as far as which boxes to remove etc (its too easy to make mistakes and ruin a good exhaust system so its better to learn from other people sometimes as all cars are different !)

steve my first anglia was a bit of an animal to drive
ford 2.0 engine
4 spd g/box
mk2 rear axle (jacked up at rear)
13x8j chrome weller wheels
standard steering box
and one of those really small steering wheels for a mini

you couldnt steer it you just had to point it a bit in the direction you wanted to go and just use the power in the engine to bring the back end round !! (my best mate drove it and he said it was like a 5 yr old trying out his dads bull worker pmsl) a right carlos fandango car :D but no cigar !!
only good thing i can say about old cars now is going into the post office and not paying a penny for road tax :) (im not slagging them its just not for me anymore/my body cant take too much more abuse! if youve used air tools as much as i have and lifted silly wieghts (gearbox and engines on your own ,letting your back get too cold etc)you'll know what i mean!!

simon
UK CIVIC B16A2
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by UK CIVIC B16A2 »

To slow the bulbs down, just wire up some extra bulbs in parallel to the exising ones and put them out of the way somewhere.
U'll miss that hot air pipe come winter time!!
jacked up at the back..... :roll:
Soon to be faster...

www.futureracingdevelopments.co.uk - Fast road and track day car modification of the highest quality in the north east. You tell us how fast you want to go, or how much you've got to spend and we'll do the rest.
UK CIVIC B16A2
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by UK CIVIC B16A2 »

No, i know bud. it will ice up on the cold days, even when its warmed up. mine did and my filters were straight off the carbs, not at the front of the bay where the airs colder. we used to sell a cold weather kit for cars running similar setups, u might wanna make youself one for about jan, feb time. it consisted of a bit of pipe and a shield to cover up some of the filter (so that it only draws hot air) plus fixings. Iceing up is a real pain in the arse. u wont miss the power then anyway, unless u've got spikes on ur tires!
Soon to be faster...

www.futureracingdevelopments.co.uk - Fast road and track day car modification of the highest quality in the north east. You tell us how fast you want to go, or how much you've got to spend and we'll do the rest.
yarmouth civic

Post by yarmouth civic »

lol@si how many simons do you know then in your area ?? i knew about 9 at 1 time !! pmsl

anyway si youre a bit too far away from me as im just outside gt yarmouth but thanks for the offer !(even tho i do go down to cambridge sometimes (^5 91civic-vt small world hey !!)

as for starting in the cold as long as the engine is set up pretty well and the battery is good you shouldnt have any problems id refer to the "other car"that never had a choke at all in the carb but this is a civic site ! i dont want to get cussed too much even tho most people love cars regardless ,well with exceptions to maybe russian or cheq cars pmsl

but then this is the first honda car ive owned so i dont know what theyre like in cold weather (i have probably had about 300 cars in my life ffs

simon

p.s no tumble weeds going through this forum with me about pmsl
oh yeah i found 2 crx's at the same house at hemsby when i went out for a drive earlier (i havent seen any other civics yet apart from lsi at yarmouth front with the just cruizin convoy sunday night :)
91civic_VT
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by 91civic_VT »

yarmouth civic wrote:91civic-vt small world hey !!)
It sure is mate! :D
Michael

Civic VT - B16a1
CRX 1.5x - D15b
yarmouth civic

Post by yarmouth civic »

si ive done the carb mods and just removed the air filter plate, im just waiting for some cheap k&n filters to come up on "flea bay" (name i picked up from 105speed lol)
it does seem a lot better ! :)

ive got an idea for a bonnet scoop mod which i have done in the past that will let more cool air under the bonnet (basically cutting the middle front of the bonnet and the middle sides ,lift it up and weld in some plates at the sides then put in a mech grille) has anyone done done this on a civic and got any pics just to see what it looks like??

simon
GLPoomobile

Post by GLPoomobile »

Yarmouth Civic, go get that exhaust off Si, he'll more than make up for the trip with cups of tea/coffee :D

With regards to the removal of the hot air feed from the exhaust manifold, my GL never iced up after I removed this, and I fitted my Megan Header during winter when I was living in Edinburgh. It's not exactly warm up there you know :wink:

I wouldn't bother cutting vents in the bonnet cos it would look too chav. The trade off for the miniscule performance gain you MIGHT achieve isn't worth it. But that's just my opinion.

Nice touch putting the indicators in the sidelights - I also thought of that :lol:
91civic_VT
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by 91civic_VT »

zc@hybrid from crx-uk did this to one of his old mk3 civics Image
Doesn't look to bad on that to me.
Michael

Civic VT - B16a1
CRX 1.5x - D15b
merce
4GUK Donator

Post by merce »

So if i pass my test on monday, should I buy a Civic GL? Im easily old enough to insure it and I want a cheap car that I can get easy power out of - it wont be a daily run about just something for the b roads I guess?