Civic VT

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
big_joe1
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Re: Civic VT

Post by big_joe1 »

Update time! Been busy over the last couple of weeks with some major work on the civic.

First up fitting the hydro gearbox. It's an S4C fully rebuilt with mfactory carbon syncros, 5.1 final drive and an mfactor plate LSD. it was previously fitted to the Tegiwa CRX Race car

work begins

First up remove the ultra rare (maybe) mugen centre caps to slacken the drive shaft nuts. these came off without much of a fight, infact everything did really. i guess thats a benefit of the engine only being fitted a couple of years ago

jacked up and it has an underbrace fitted. it's been taking a bit of a beating but protecting my 5zigen manifold atleast which doesn't have a mark on it.

removed the front cross member as this will need to be modified and the manifold

battery tray out and got everything ready to come out on the top side

this mount was chopped off the cross member to make way for the hydro actuator

Box off without too much drama

hydro box

Decided to give it a lick of paint - old vs new

at this point i thought i would fit my Quaife steering rack which also came from the Tegiwa CRX

I'm using Uprated Innovative mounts all round to compensate for losing the front engine mount. Fitted the Innovative to the new subframe and fitted up the rack

Removed the rear bracket. 2 of the bolts are thicker on the hydro box - m14 rather than m12. Picked a couple of bolts up from my local bolt shop and enlarged the holes in the bracket to suit

fitted the new clutch cable. I'm using a longer Honda Concerto cable which is the perfect length for the new system

bought a new exedy hydro clutch kit

removed the passenger side lower cover which gave me access to the crank pulley. used my crank pulley tool which i bought years and years ago to lock the crank and fit the new clutch and flywheel

ITR flywheel off - Fidanza flywheel on. couldn't believe how much lighter the fidanza is!

fitted with a new OEM spigot bearing

clutch on

Box on and hydro actuator on with innovative mount

the box was initially tight up against the side of the engine bay - a bit of bending with a crow bar and there's a couple of mm clearance all round

the mounts are so stiff that it was a bit of a mission to get them all lined up, but got there eventually and all the bolts in

new bolts in the rear bracket

new shafts in

first problem - the o2 sensor fouls on the innovative bracket. Had to get a new boss welded in further up the manifold and blanked the old one off.

Custom exhaust has a good size bore!

All finished! you can see here where the front mount bracket had to be cut off the cross member.

refitted the steering rack gubbins in the footwell

centered the steering wheel on the rack and took it to Andy Turner motorsport for a full alignment. the result

So the verdict!

Well first up - the car has lost it's road manners. The engine mounts are HARD and the car shakes at idle. The steering is much stiffer with the new rack and the diff kicks like a mule when slow maneuvering. It also sits at 4600 RPM at 70mph in 5th now. Do I care about any of that..........not one bit!

The gearbox feels amazing. The shift action is so much nicer and no more crunches what so ever. The car is also SO MUCH quicker! It flys through the gears with the 5.1 final drive and light flywheel, it revs HARD in VTEC to 9000+ RPM, i'm staggered at the difference. The Diff is seriously aggressive and a real handful on the road, it feels like a completely different car. It's going to take some time to learn to use it properly, will be getting on track next month and I can't wait to see what it will do!

a few pics from the last track day at blyton to finish off!

big_joe1
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by big_joe1 »

Spec update

ENGINE:
- B16B engine
- Innovative engine mounts
- ITG Maxogen air filter
- DIY s/s long reach induction kit
- Hondata intake manifold gasket
- EK9 short throttle cable
- 5zigen 4-2-1 manifold (2.5")
- Longlife custom 2.5" 100% s/s exhaust
- Original 0BDO ECU w/DNR map
- NGK Super Power HT leads
- NGK Iridium spark plugs
- Spal 11" radiator fan
- Artel silicone coolant hoses
- Cusco radiator cap
- Refurbished B16A1 cam cover
- Refurbished OEM radiator
- Magnetic sump bolts
- Brake resevior sock
- Satin black plug cover
- Bolts replaced with new OE brass ones

GEARBOX:

- S4C gearbox
- Rebuilt with new bearings and Mfactory carbon syncros
- 5.1 final drive
- Mfactory Plate LSD
- Exedy clutch
- Fidanza super light flywheel
- Energy Suspension shifter bushes
- Energy Suspension shifter bushes
- Innovative cable to hydro actuator
- Honda Concerto clutch cable

SUSPENSION/CHASSIS:
- Bilstein Shocks with Eibach springs
- Energy Suspension front LCA bushes
- Energy Suspension rear LCA bushes
- Cusco ST front upper strut bar
- Cusco V1 front lower strut bar
- Cusco OS rear upper strut bar
- Beaks rear lower strut bar
- Full Setup by Andy Turner Motorsport

EXTERIOR:
- Custom cold air feed in bumper
- EF9 window visors (bought brand new in 2006)
- EF9 rear bumper
- EF9 rear spoiler
- EF9 plastic headlights
- EF9 door decals
- Blue pinstripe
- 66% rear window tints
- Rear wiper & boot lock removed
- Fog light in right tail light
- Mudflaps all round
- Custom 1.6iR sticker on the bootlid

INTERIOR:
- Near mint EF9 floor mats
- OMP divers bucket seat with Sparco 4 point harness
- Dashmat
- B&M short shifter
- Momo Corse 320mm steering wheel & hub
- DC2 gear knob
- EF9 armrest, retrimmed black suede
- Brand new OE Honda stereo blank (no speakers either)
- Flare holder
- JDM seat belt holder

WHEELS/BRAKES:
- Mugen RNR 15" alloys w/Yokohama AD08R
- DC2 TYPE R 282mm front brakes (DS2500 Pads)
- MG ZR 260mm rear brakes (DS2500 Pads)
- DC2 1" master cylinder & servo
Last edited by big_joe1 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Good stuff. Nice to see it gerting better.
sixteen16
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by sixteen16 »

nice update on a awesome car.
keep up the good work
D16a9 called Vic

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ernie
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Ernie »

Exellent mate!

Shorter gearing is defo what the b16 needs.. really bring them alive.

We are all at Cadwell on Thurs 2nd.. (20+ Hondas) bit short notice for you to make it?
big_joe1
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by big_joe1 »

Thanks guys.

Ernie - I would but I'm working mate. I'm looking to do 16th July at Cadwell, details on CRX-UK track day page if you fancy it!
Ernie
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Ernie »

big_joe1 wrote:Thanks guys.

Ernie - I would but I'm working mate. I'm looking to do 16th July at Cadwell, details on CRX-UK track day page if you fancy it!
I wanna do TOTB at end of month so to do 16th aswell would be pushing it.. :(
Hakosuka
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Hakosuka »

Must be a real beast with that gearbox and flywheel combo! Good stuff!
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

What's been going on with the Speedboat recently?
I was flicking through my photo's showing a guy at work tonight... kind of miss it a little bit... :(
big_joe1
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by big_joe1 »

Well it's been over a year since I did anything with the civic, so time for an update. I've been concentrating of the Evo really and the civic has just been sat in the garage. I few weeks ago I decided to sell the Evo so over the last couple of weeks I decided to give the civic a bit of love ready for the track day season.

First up I picked up a second hand Tanabe rear anti roll bar and fitted it. It doesn't look like it in this pic but it's much thicker than the standard item

Next, for some reason while it's been stood the front washer yes stopped working.

If anyone's interested the pump lives behind the passenger arch liner. Had to destroy the stupid scrivets to get this off, but managed to find some dirt cheap on eBay

Rigged up a test on my battery and the pump was indeed fucked. Stoo sent me a decent second hand one and that was that sorted.

Then I decided to fit the baffled sump I bought from Jeff years ago. It was full of swarf because his old b18 failed, took bloody ages to clean it all out.
When I took mine off I was greated with this mess!

Looks like my car must have hit a speed bump or something which dented the sump and smashed in the oil pickup! Rather than mess around with it I thought best to order a new one from Tegiwa.

Sump ready to go in with a new OEM Honda gasket. I didn't bother using any gasket sealant as the manual suggests, just torqued to spec and it's remained leak free :)

I've had problems with the car dropping out of Vtec exiting fast corners on track before so hopefully this will help, and I'll be running some stickier tyres after the AD08Rs die too.

Hamp oil filters have changed colour since I last messed around with Hondas

Filter change a piece of piss with no ABS :)

Next changed the gear box oil for some torco stuff and some friction modifier, which is the advised setup for my diff. I was hoping this would calm the aggressiveness of the diff down a bit and it really has, it's much less snappy coming out of junctions / tight corners now. Also found a fluid pump in the random aisle at Aldi which made changing the oil a doddle :)

Next up some more exciting bits arrived from Tegiwa

Yellow speed premium race coilovers and an innovative traction bar.

I've been wanting a more track focused suspension setup for a while now. 14/16kg springs should do the trick :D. I wasn't sure about the brand but the civic cup cars are using them so mist be alright. Whipped off my bilstein and eibach setup

On with the yellowspeeds.

And the traction bar.

Old vs new

I dont think there's much weight saved here as I anticipated as it's a solid blooming thing, the radius arms in particular are bloody heavy. I'm sure it should firm the front end up a treat though.

Used some longer bolts for the lca connections as per forum advice

I just wound the sphericals all the way in for max caster. To be honest I dont think they give that much extra caster, I expected a bit more at max attack. Just a little push with a scissor jack alloweded me to get the bolts in

Caster is noticeable just about

After pissing about loads with the ride height this is what I ended up with

It's pretty low, I had to remove the front mud flaps as they were constantly scraping. I might go a touch lower on the front to create a bit of rake but will see how it goes.

Caster shot - doesn't look like a huge amount to me

So that's it for now. This is pretty much the spec it will remain in for the track season, then I think it will be time to add more power. Unforutnely I haven't been able to properly test drive the new setup yet as my MOT has ran out and I've been waiting for new inner tie rods from h-tune for weeks, as one of mine had loads of play. Hopefully they will arrive soon and i can get out for a blast.

Also the bodywork has unfortunately taken a bit of a turn for the worse over the last year, the passenger rear arch in particular unfortunately is rusting a fair bit now

The bonnet also has chips which have gone rusty and the spoiler has decided to shed it's skin and turn red :)

It's a shame because it was mint when I bought it. I really need to think about whether I now use this as an excuse to strip it and go full track car, as I don't really see myself spending thousands getting the arches sorted. I'll sort out the spoiler in the mean time and I'm on the lookout for a nice carbon bonnet if anyone has one :).
big_joe1
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by big_joe1 »

Small update. These are absolutely the last improvements I'm doing this year bar any breakages :lol:.

My brakes have been vibrating a bit since Cadwell last year and the front discs were a bit lipped. The DS2500S still had plenty of life after 3 track days, but I've always wanted to try some Carbotech pads. So in they went with new Mintex 282 discs

I've bedded them in and my God they are powerful now. I'm slightly worried that the front may be too powerful for the rear ds2500 pads, but we'll see. I'll keep the front ds2500s handy on the next trackday just incase the fronts are locking up too easily.

Next I had a slight missfire at low revs which has been getting worse. Tahir lent me a dizzy and set of leads to test (cheers buddy), and luckily it turned out it was just my leads that were goosed so ordered some new NGKS from Tegiwa.

Cam cover is getting a bit flaky...I'll probably never sort it :o

Next up, I've had a bit of play from my drivers side inner tie rod for a while. I ordered these hard race ones from H-tune which after a long delay finally arrived

As I need to get the Geo done anyway, I got Andy at Andy Turner Motor Engineering to fit these at the same time. The steering feels so much tighter now, huge difference. I'd encourage anyone to replace these if your steerings a bit wooly as they often get over looked.

So onto the Geo, there's quite a bit of camber I've gained from lowering, but seems to be a bit more on the left side for some reason. I thought I'd set the ride height evenly, so I'll double check that, maybe camber adjusters might be on the cards in the future. Also slightly disappointed that caster seems to be just under 4 degs with the traction bar almost fully maxed out, was hoping for a bit more than that :?. I also asked for a bit of toe out on the front and a bit of toe in on the rear, so we'll see how that works out on track.

I also took the back seats out so I can take all my tools etc to the track, I have to say I prefer the noise of the exhaust now.

Finally, fitted my Gopro mount in place of my interior light

Gives a pretty decent view from here - a short clip of some B16B goodness

https://youtu.be/tGYzZIsRJwU

That's all, next stop Blyton Park for the CRX UK track day next month
lordame
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by lordame »

Too bad, all the pics are missing...
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Photobucket has f**ked everyone over nicely.
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

Tahir wrote:Photobucket has f**ked everyone over nicely.
Photobucket is now crap, changing the IMG to URL didn't work either.
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

I guess Flickr, imgur etc will all follow suit.
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport