Lee4391s GL Build.

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Lee4391
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Re: Lee4391s GL Build.

Post by Lee4391 »

Cheers gents!

Engine will be in this weekend 100% i've almost finished all the prep. I should be able to get it running aswell, fingers crossed.

Evalex i can see why people lash stuff up to be honest. Doing things properly takes so much fucking time and expense! Hence why cleaning the outside of the engine has been left out. Plus aesthetics of an engine is not high on my list of priorities, as long as its all god internally.
evalex
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by evalex »

Lee4391 wrote:Evalex i can see why people lash stuff up to be honest. Doing things properly takes so much fucking time and expense! Hence why cleaning the outside of the engine has been left out. Plus aesthetics of an engine is not high on my list of priorities, as long as its all god internally.
Tell me about it.. I was cleaning my sisters B20A9 head just last weekend. Took me 2 hours, but result will be smoother running and a peace of mind! ->Picture<-
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

Yo!

Managed to get the d16 in and running this weekend, started in the morning saturday removing the d14 and had the D16 bolted up and running by Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately i've got no pictures of either engine being pulled or even installed, and other than the mechanical fuel pump not being in the engine bay and the shiny cam gear it looks no different to the D14!

However here is a shitty video of it ticking over with the delta cam;

It runs sweet and touch wood it will proceed to run sweet! Its a little lumpy down low as you'd expect from a cam with alot of over lap but above 3K RPM its goes very well! 3rd gear is definitely the new 2nd, the down low torque was instantly noticeable and response up top is just as good. Overall i'm pleased with outcome.

I managed to pick up a new TIM vacuum gauge cheap and round the corner so i bought that and also a wideband so i can check the fuelling as i may have a little fettle with it too, but i bought the wideband mainly as a safety measure and in preparation for the dellortos whenever i put them on.

Overall i am very pleased with the outcome, i shall put a few more miles on the engine between now and saturday, then give it a once over; ensuring the carbs are balanced and re-checking the valve clearances as they may have changed due to the cam being new and wearing in. Everything else service wise has been replaced I.E plugs, oil, oil filter, coolant so it has a relatively fresh bill of health.

The only thing i do think is that my exhaust or lack of is holding it back a little bit as i am currently running a DC sports manifold with a stock GL mid pipe and no rear silencer and at WOT the d16 is considerably quieter than the d14 it almost sounds like a turbo car its not very honda like. On over run however it sounds the same so i think there could be a little back pressure.

Sunday if all is well it'll be going to the 4G dyno day so it'll be interesting to see what it makes.

Enjoy,

Lee
pikey-pete
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by pikey-pete »

As said over text man get a better exhaust!! It held mine back badly!!! An get the wideband on to make sure your not leaning out.
double D power!!

check my build http://4guk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

YO!

Been busy recently so haven't had time to update the thread. Went to the 4G dyno meet was a good day out as normal, a few pictures were taken...

A video was made...

A graph was formed;

It should be visible but if not it made;
116BHP @6321 RPM
111Ft/lbs @ 3567 RPM

Which i am relatively happy about, the engine definitely has more to give as i think the exhaust is holding back a bit its still on a stock GL mid pipe which is 1.75". I'm hoping to book it into Solid fabrications for a full 2.5" system ideally i wanted a custom manifold too but i cannot justify the extra just yet as i am looking at moving out in the next 6 months.

What would be great is if i can keep peak torque where it is but carry it on through out the rev range as atm as soon as it hits 4.5K it tails off, but a larger exhaust and a bit of fettling with the carbs will definitely yield some more power.

Tis all for now,

Lee
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

Evening all,

Got my exhaust built this weekend, went up to Solid Fabrications on Friday to have a manifold back made up. I did want to have a custom manifold made too but the expense was too much as later in the year i plan to move out.

I opted for a full 2.5", i went up there with the intentions of having exit from the drivers side but steve said he wouldn't have enough space for sufficient silencers to keep it below track day regs, so i was forced to have it exit out the correct side of which im kinda glad about as it looks spot on.

that was the finished mid pipe

The rear silencer being mocked up.

The rear silencer and tip being mocked up.

The finished product

I took a gamble with the turned down tip as i didn't know how it was gunna look. It turned out very well it was either that or a stock looking twin tip which albeit looks classic and original i wasn't keen on it looking exactly the same as a scorpion etc. Steve also informs me it tends to make them a little quieter.

I couldn't recommend Solid Fabrications enough! They did a great job and quality is second to none, i watched all of the silencers get packed and TIG welded up in front of me, even the way Steve welded small bends into the pipe work before and after the first silencer for linkage clearance was spot on.

I also finally had a place to fit my wideband sensor of which i did this afternoon...

The above picture shows the bends welded in for clearance. It also sounds great a nice deep tone, i'll get some sound clips when i get a chance.

Overall i'm happy i can now begin playing with the ignition timing, cam timing and fuel to try and eek out some more power.

Enjoy,
Lee
evalex
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by evalex »

Awesome job done on that exhaust 8) How much does an exhaust like that cost in UK?
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

I'll PM you evalex.
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

YO,

After having the exhaust done i finally had a place to put my wideband sensor, so after hooking it up i went on a long run to see what my AFRs were saying.

Idle was quite lean at 17
Cruising 14.5 - 15
WOT 13.5 - 14

Essentially it was running a little lean everywhere. So i ordered some main jets first to sort WOT(wide open throttle) out, stock D14 carbs come with #180 main jets which strangely enough is larger than those in the D15b carbs which are #160. I opted for a set of #185s and #190s.

I also bought 4 x .5mm shims to shim the needles up as at half throttle my AFRs were around 15 which again is quite lean.

Removed the carbs

Removed the stock jets

Installed the #185s

I didn't get any pictures of shimming the needles but if anyone is curious i can post up what to do. I shimmed both needles 1mm.

With the #185 main jets installed my WOT AFRs dropped to around 13 and it felt alot better at the top of the rev range where it was lacking power before the exhaust. It feels really nice and responsive and more willing to rev. I tried the #190s but they were a little too rich at 12.5, Pikey pete has tuned his D16 to 12.5 and he says it feels great but it seems this engine prefers the slightly leaner mixture.

Shimming the needles was a strange one as i expected it to change my half throttle AFRs alot and tbh they didn't even change, which i thought strange but my cruising and light throttle AFRs have dropped to 13 and the car is so much more driveable around town. I honestly thought cruising and light throttle openings would have been controlled by the idle circuit so i shall do some research.

Unfortunately one of my idle screws was stuck so i haven't had a chance to adjust the idle AFR yet, i have since freed it off just lacked the time to play about with it.

I am confident that the WOT throttle side of things is sorted so i shall leave the #185 main jets in there for now, which is handy as they require the carbs removing to change them. I shall carry on playing with needle heights and Ethan (Walsh123) is kindly donating me some different needle profiles to play with so i shall see how they do.

Enjoy,

Lee
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

NIce to see some more tinkering Lee, get a littel how to or add it in how you achieved the shimming would be interesting to see.

Reading this you just reminded me about the needles ill check the part numbers after college make sure i have the right sets :top:
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
pikey-pete
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by pikey-pete »

Forgot to say to ya man when I was tuning my carbs adjusting the idle mixture screws did just the idle! Adjusting my needles stopped my horrible stumble from idle. Different profile needles will be interesting though.
double D power!!

check my build http://4guk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

Cheers Pete, I went back to the #185s and wot feels better than it did with the #190s pulls really well now. So now any adjustments will only affect drive ability. The way the needles are now feels great, part throttle is nice and responsive. I shall remove one needle shim to see what difference it makes as I could gain a little fuel economy round town.

My idle is now around 16, I shall try richen it up a tad but if the idle quality doesn't get any better with a richer mixture I shall lean it off again, just so it's not chucking in a load of fuel unnecessarily.

Also I shall chuck up a small how to of how to shim needles Ethan.
pikey-pete
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by pikey-pete »

Yeah I gained loads of mpg by adjusting my needles.
My idle is also around 16-17 mark any richer and it stinks of fuel on tick over haha
double D power!!

Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

YO!

Made a start prepping my SOHC twin choke manifold over the weekend. I wanted a vacuum source from each runner so i could take them all to a vacuum manifold and provide everything with a nice stable vacuum source.

The manifold already had 2 1/8 BSP holes drilled into it so i just drilled out the other two blanks and sourced some stainless steel hose barbs. Also bought a cheap chinese vacuum manifold as all they are really is a billet of aluminium that has been machined out so spending out on a brand name item isn't really necessary. Either way for £17 quid i couldn't have asked for more. The finish is pretty good and it looks no different to most brand name jobbies it also came with all the barb fittings. Also the company fucked up and sent me a red one first and never asked me to return it so i got two :top:

Also tryna find someone who can mill some of the excess material off the carb mating face, although it wont affect the performance i just don't see the point in having material somewhere where it doesn't need to be. I'm hoping a friend can sort me out cheap.

Also drilled some 'feature' holes in the webbing between the manifold, again it doesn't need to be there its a cast aluminium manifold so it doesn't need it for support or strength just laziness or cheapness by the manufacture not machining excess material. For now i've just drilled some pilot holes i will finish them at work on the pillar drill. I was thinking about drilling a bigger hole in the middle and putting a countersink on the hole so i can feed the vacuum lines though the manifold so they exit from the bottom of the carbs as this will clean up the look of the set up. Hoping to finish these this week,

Enjoy,
Lee
Stu-VT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Stu-VT »

Excellent work. Proper thinking outside the box engineering!