How To - Repair your Rheostat/ Heater Speeds

Dedicated to Gizmo and his love for well documented and photographed How To's. Please add comments and pics of your experiences whilst working on your car.
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

I forgot to put the plug back in :oops:

i have 4 speeds!!! at last!!!! :top:
callmeleon
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by callmeleon »

you fooking legend, i tried to fix this problem numerous times on the bumblebee and failed. thats another thing a can sort out before i sell it. nice one
1.3 deluxe jap import with Sir facelift, power steering and A/C (bumble bee)

Vt t3 Turbo' at 5.5 psi until further mods

Soon to be selling the bumble bee. power steering, a/c just needs a b16
pics coming up
Slammedgti
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Slammedgti »

tryed this tonight and what a head ache the wire is. The thinnest wire for Speed 1 was just crumbling up so chopped it out.

Replaced with some other wire and was too thick so not enough resistance. then got some thinner wire same. Ended up using a strand of speaker cable!

Didnt last long so just ordered some new coils of ebay! £6. Wait for those to come through and chop the rest off and use new ;)

Jay
87 Civic E-at slammed on SSR's
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Slammedgti wrote:tryed this tonight and what a head ache the wire is. The thinnest wire for Speed 1 was just crumbling up so chopped it out.

Replaced with some other wire and was too thick so not enough resistance. then got some thinner wire same. Ended up using a strand of speaker cable!

Didnt last long so just ordered some new coils of ebay! £6. Wait for those to come through and chop the rest off and use new ;)

Jay
headache? ive repaired 4 now, and never had any problems. i just used some old springs i had lying about
Slammedgti
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Slammedgti »

I can see how you have fixed them without any probs its just having the right thickness of wire lol Also myne being 22yrs old probabley dosnt help

Has anybody tryed running it outside the fan housing? I wouldnt try it as the fan cools the springs to stop them from getting too hot. just my 2p dunno if it had been mentioned ;)

Jay
Sowler
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by Sowler »

I'm not sure if its been mentioned but they sell repair kits on repair with all three of the resistors you need for less than a fiver. Search for rover fan speed repair or something like that.
Slammedgti
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Slammedgti »

8) lol thats what i did yesturday lol Atleast then there all new and will last yrs to come
GLcivic
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Re: How To - Repair your Rheostat/ Heater Speeds

Post by GLcivic »

I spent most of my day trying to fix this only saw this how to do guide From a mate will see if I can get speed one to work tmo:)
Hakosuka
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Hakosuka »

This thing is impossible to solder! Crank the machine to 400°C, still nothing :/
BiMU
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by BiMU »

Sorry for the thread revival but this really helped me out!
griffo20022
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by griffo20022 »

Tried having a go at soldering mine but I think the wires that cruddy it doesnt conduct anymore anyway! Gonna have a look for those repair kits!
hondamad22
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by hondamad22 »

you have some wkd how to bud used a few ov yours on here now all four are working now was just 3-4 :top: al my coils where ceroded it was like cement anyway cheers gizmo a live in scotland so need good heaters :D
sistri
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by sistri »

My 209,000 miler now has 4 speed fan!! Thanks Gizmo. :drivegear:
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

no problem
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
Bigworm
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by Bigworm »

I previously used this very helpful guide to repair the lack of 1 and 2 on the fan speed control, but after about a year we lost 1 and 2 again.

So searched ebay for a replacement, couldn't find one specifically for the 4th gen, but they all looked to be the same so I ordered one anyway (£6.50 I think). After removing the old one I noticed they are not the same shape! The electrical plug fits the new one, and all fan speeds work too. But the plastic it is all mounted to is a different shape and the screw holes are in a different position. I considered un-soldering the wires on the new one and putting them on the old one, or even removing the pins completely and putting them into the old one.

But after a bit of a bodge, I'm happy with this solution...................................., blue tack and gaffer tape! :P