Grinder in the face. Be as safe as you can dudes.

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
Stu-VT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Grinder in the face. Be as safe as you can dudes.

Post by Stu-VT »

Today I was replacing some sections of wheel arch on my wifes EC9 and suffered a freak accident. I only know what happened because I was up my workshop and luckily had 3 other guys there. One of which took control and helped clean me up and calm me down.

Basically, I had the corse sand paper disc on my grinder and was grinding down some welds, it seems that the paper disc shredded and snagged on the car, sending the grinder down to the floor, which then bounced up with tremendous force and went under my safety sheild and hit me in the face.

So, gouged top lip, diagonal cut/ graze under my nose, a cut nostril and a large patch of my left cheek sanded down, I am a little uncomfortable tonight. Blood everywhere and I didn't know what hit me.

So, please use this as a warning and always use as much safety equipment as you can and use caution when using powerful spinning things.

The blokes I share the workshop with said it was a freak accident and they had never thought it was possible unless they saw it.
God knows what I would have done if I was up there on my own or if it was a cutting disc. Workshops in the middle of nowhere and although I have a good first aid kit, the blood and the pain of being hit so hard caused me to go into shock.

I bloody well finished the rear part I was doing though. Then after going home for nursey wife to clean me up, decide I was bloody lucky and she can sort me rather than go to hospital, I went back to workshop and finished the other side.

Not looking forward to going out in public though!
g.h.o.s.t
4GUK Donator

Re: Grinder in the face. Be as safe as you can dudes.

Post by g.h.o.s.t »

Not good man, similar thing happened to me when I was under a car grinding a sill, the grindstone shattered and would've smashed me in the face hadnt the mask got
In the way. Dangerous stuff.
4GUK's only black GL.... B18 powered ;)
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

geeees :shock:

glad your "ok", could of been a lot worse
perfectionist
4GUK Donator

Post by perfectionist »

WOW :shock: But glad you can tell the story dude.

Stu-VT wrote: I went back to workshop and finished the other side.
^^^ Crazy B*****d ^^^ :wink:
A person who wants everything to be perfect and demands the highest standards possible.

Friends call me Nas ;)
jonny f
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Post by jonny f »

So easy to go into shock when there's a lot of blood on your face! I got a bike handle bar to my eye once, luckily it hit the socket first so I didn't loose my eye. Almost makes you faint when it runs down your face.

Glad your good though. Could be much worse.
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Lucky if you ask me, could've cut your face in half if you had cutting disc on there!
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
1988rt
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by 1988rt »

dam that sucks, glad to hear you're ok..................I just grinded my nuckle trying to grind the spot welds on my front wheel drive shuttle trying to convert it to all wheel drive
skull-candy18
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by skull-candy18 »

I normally only wear goggles, may invest in full face protection.
Alex
CRX 1616
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

me too. i got a bit of nitromorz in eye a year or two ago, always wear goggles now. and dust masks too even sanding stuff, and sweeping up the garage.

safety first yo
fasterfasterfaster
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by fasterfasterfaster »

Nasty, im quite used to getting little nicks on my hands at work with those flap disks and even they hurt like a bitch cant imagine getting hit in the face with one!! hopefully you don't get scarred to badly as i have a few small ones on my hands from them!

Bloke i used to work with was cutting one of the under floor supports out of a tipper lorry once without glasses or a face mask on, had the grinder at face level because the body was up slightly, long story short the grinder bit and jumped back and he got the 9" cutting disk lodged into his eyebrow right beside the bridge of his nose, cut into bone and all!! very easy to get badly hurt playing with grinders!!
If its not broken fook about with it till it is or ya make it better!
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

I HATE using grinders for this exact reason!

I took 3 huge chunks of flesh out my thumb yesterday making my Short Shifter, Again, after the grinder snapped and ripped it out my hand. To say its sore is an understatement!
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
skull-candy18
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by skull-candy18 »

I was going to grind my rusted manifold off tomorrow but now I'm too scared :lol:
Alex
CRX 1616
Ben_theEFking
4GUK Donator

Post by Ben_theEFking »

Grinders are extremely dangerous. As mentioned safety gear is a must and even then it's not 100% safe as Stu found out.

Hope your cool mate and there's no lasting damage.

Ben
91' Civic EE9 I-VT
Stu-VT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Stu-VT »

I've learnt people stare when you have a facial injury. Thats not helping confidence.

Thanks chaps, and I finished the arch's yesterday. Some filler sunk as I was needing to get it done so the wife could use it for work today, but at least theres no rot anymore.

Hopefully get the rest done for Mimms on sunday. Its a downgrade from my EE9, but the wifes cool with me playing with hers.

If you're at Mimms, you'll easily spot me. ;-)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Damn glad your ok-ish dude, could have been much worse very lucky. You should have gone and bought a lottery ticket :top: :lol:

I've had a couple close call with grinders, normally when using the metal wire wheels. Had one snag while sanding down a brake booster flew back caught in my top and shredded it luckily missed me and only burnt out the motor i couldn't turn it off so just had to hold onto for dear life :lol:
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)