Wheel wobble x(

Brakes, Suspension, Steering, Handling,
Marc_EE9

Wheel wobble x(

Post by Marc_EE9 »

I've just had two new tyres on the front of the car, and had all my wheels balanced, but I am still getting a wobble from the steering wheel above 50/60mph. My discs are fine, albeit I haven't driven the car in 10 weeks and the drivers front caliper is sticking a tiny bit, not even picked up on the MOT it's that minor, so I can't see that warping the discs.
I've had the engine out in the past few weeks (and new RTA's fitted), could that be the cause? Do I need the alignment done again? It seems to steer and brake straight...

Or have the garage not balanced my wheels properly?

Thanks,
dida4g

Re: Wheel wobble x(

Post by dida4g »

Swap wheels front to back, see if it changes.
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
EF_Russ
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by EF_Russ »

Wobble at that speed I would most definitely put down to wheel balancing. I'd get whoever fitted the tyres to check it again.

It may be something simple like the machine on the wrong setting for the distribution of the wheel weights, easily done, as different types of wheel require the weights in different places.

Quickest and easiest way to check yourself is do what Dida said.
'91 ED7 (Black) 8)
99mrbe
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by 99mrbe »

Wheel balance by the sounds of it! If they've used stick on weights one may have fallen of!
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

i've had them re-balanced, its better but still have some wobble. its down to the wheels, they cant stick any weights further inside the wheel, because of the design, so means if I want it completely wobble free I need to have a weight on the outside rim.
:(
fasterfasterfaster
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by fasterfasterfaster »

Check out your front tie rod bushings!! Have had a wobble myself for ages and had it in a garage a few times, all was sound, when i was doing the gearbox i noticed the passo side tie rod, the bushings felt looser than the drivers, (wobble was on passo side) fitted poly bushings, yet to have it back on the road so i dont know if it will be sorted yet, worth a check though seeing as ya had the engine out!!
If its not broken fook about with it till it is or ya make it better!
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

I didn't have the wobble with my old set of wheels, and the better balancing has made it better by half, so I'm satisfied that's the cause, it just means having a weight on the outside.
rallyeluke
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Post by rallyeluke »

Dont over complicate anyone... Get the wheels balanced properly. are they straight and true? are you using spigot rings? is the hub clean from debris? My bet is the wheels have been static balanced and only spun up once or The wheels have been gunned up and torqued far higher then they are supposed to be which will make it wobble.
D16a9 Powered dream machine!

No greater fun then backing off the throttle at 7400rpm and spraying fire out the exhaust ;)
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

I have no spigot rings, I need to order some, you reminded me!
rallyeluke

Post by rallyeluke »

Marc_EE9 wrote:I have no spigot rings, I need to order some, you reminded me!
That will be the issue then.. what size rings do you need? as I have some from my old Racing hart cybers that are probably perfect for you.. I think they were 72.6mm down to standard honda size hub ;)

When I ran the cybers without spigot rings it wobbled like hell at around 60 but weirdly would not do it all the time.

Does the steering wheel wobble when you apply the brakes? as one of my front disks was slightly warped and once warm it exaggerated the runout and caused it to feel like I had a massive imbalance on my front wheels when I braked

No greater fun then backing off the throttle at 7400rpm and spraying fire out the exhaust ;)
rallyeluke

Post by rallyeluke »

rallyeluke wrote:
Marc_EE9 wrote:I have no spigot rings, I need to order some, you reminded me!
That will be the issue then.. what size rings do you need? as I have some from my old Racing hart cybers that are probably perfect for you.. I think they were 72.6mm down to standard honda size hub ;)

When I ran the cybers without spigot rings it wobbled like hell at around 60 but weirdly would not do it all the time. (due to the wheel not being hubcentric)

Does the steering wheel wobble when you apply the brakes? as one of my front disks was slightly warped and once warm it exaggerated the runout and caused it to feel like I had a massive imbalance on my front wheels when I braked

Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

i will have to check the size tomorrow. I thi they are quite big iirc

im going to clean up the hub faces as well, as im sure there will be some blobs of hammerite on it.

thanks