Opening top suspension bolt

Brakes, Suspension, Steering, Handling,
R3H4N
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Opening top suspension bolt

Post by R3H4N »

Just tried to open the bolt at the top of the suspension and realised someones already had a try at it and has rounded the hex,how do i open the bolt with the hex being rounded?
R3H4N

Re: Opening top suspension bolt

Post by R3H4N »

Anyone...?
SuperDOHC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by SuperDOHC »

The top nut that holds the top hat down ?
ImageImageImage

White GL
Unique Edition
EF_Russ
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by EF_Russ »

Firstly, before attempting to remove the nut, make sure the spring is compressed using the appropriate spring clamps (if you have the shock removed and just undo that nut, the top strut will try to take your face off!) If you don't have any means of compressing the spring, or you are undoing the nut with the suspension still in place, then be EXTREMELY careful.

My advice would be to clamp some mole grips to the main shaft of the shock (the part that the coilspring surrounds and moves in and out of the shock absorber) as this is the part the nut you are trying to remove is screwed onto. Crack it off, and then remove the suspension from
the car before carefully undoing the nut.

But seriously, I cannot stress enough how careful you must be when undoing/removing loaded/compressed springs.
'91 ED7 (Black) 8)
rusty4g
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by rusty4g »

the only other way to take them off if you don't have spring compressors is to undo your top mount with the shock still on the car and with it on the floor, then jack your car up and take it apart that way.
dual carb v-tec yooooooooo! The car's not rusty, its the hair!

soon to be a b series eg coupe. (not permanently though)
99mrbe
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by 99mrbe »

As above! But I wouldn't undo that nut if the springs are not compressed! Especially is standard springs it will go to the out edge of the earth and take your head with it, Iv seen what happenes and it not pleasant! If a nut if rounded you a smaller imperial socket and smash it on!
rusty4g
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by rusty4g »

99mrbe wrote:As above! But I wouldn't undo that nut if the springs are not compressed! Especially is standard springs it will go to the out edge of the earth and take your head with it, Iv seen what happenes and it not pleasant!
if the shock and spring is on the car and in the same place it usually is how will this take your face off without going threw the strut top first lol?

fasterfasterfaster
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by fasterfasterfaster »

take the shock out, if you dont have spring compressors then get a piece of rope, loop it in through the spring near the top and pull it out 5/6 leafs down then tie the 2 ends together so its a closed circle of rope, then pop a long bar through it and twist, keep twisting it until the rope tightens which will take the pressure off the top hat and then tuck the end of the bar into the spring somewhere to hold it, might be better having someone help you to hold the bar in place incase it slips!!
If its not broken fook about with it till it is or ya make it better!
rusty4g
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by rusty4g »

fasterfasterfaster wrote:take the shock out, if you dont have spring compressors then get a piece of rope, loop it in through the spring near the top and pull it out 5/6 leafs down then tie the 2 ends together so its a closed circle of rope, then pop a long bar through it and twist, keep twisting it until the rope tightens which will take the pressure off the top hat and then tuck the end of the bar into the spring somewhere to hold it, might be better having someone help you to hold the bar in place incase it slips!!
good shout

PowellyEG
Thats Bostin that is!

Post by PowellyEG »

What are you looking to do?

Put lowering springs on ek oem shocks?
Y U KNOW ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) its all about the Papier-mâché arches.
JDM Collective
The site: http://jdmcollective.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Forum: http://jdmcollective.forumotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JDMCollective" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
99mrbe
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by 99mrbe »

rusty4g wrote:
99mrbe wrote:As above! But I wouldn't undo that nut if the springs are not compressed! Especially is standard springs it will go to the out edge of the earth and take your head with it, Iv seen what happenes and it not pleasant!
if the shock and spring is on the car and in the same place it usually is how will this take your face off without going threw the strut top first lol?
I wrote it before you posted ment to be for the one above you :lol: obvusly the strut would be out!!! :roll:
rusty4g
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by rusty4g »

i was thinking that lol

R3H4N

Post by R3H4N »

PowellyEG wrote:What are you looking to do?

Put lowering springs on ek oem shocks?
yeah just got some lowering springs thought i'd put them in,

also thanks fo the replys guys..i know how to take the shock and spring out but the only issue im having is removing the bolt from the top hat as the allen key/hex has been rounded and i cant seem to think of anything else,as i really dont want to destroy the complete shock itself
fasterfasterfaster

Post by fasterfasterfaster »

Take a flat head screw driver and hammer it into it, its pretty soft, but be careful not to split it!!
If its not broken fook about with it till it is or ya make it better!
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

There should be a method of holding the shock piston at the top of it. But as you say, it'll be old, and srewed. I've previously used uber tight mole grips (or a pair of them!) towards the top of the piston, just under the top hat. As the full assembly will never compress enough for that part to damage the seals once it's been mullard by the grips.