Lee4391s GL Build.

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Lee4391
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Re: Kanjo inspired ec9 Build.

Post by Lee4391 »

Cheers lads. Ill see if i can to finish building the box over the weekend. Then possibly fit it next month. Money is very tight atm
civic-ef-uk
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by civic-ef-uk »

this car is pretty cool
civic-ef-uk
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by civic-ef-uk »

hey can you please pm me a link to were you got your trumpets from thanks :)
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

Take a search mate its on here somewhere.
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

My dad making full use of the snap off boss i just bought :| It was a bargain and has bought the steering wheel right where i wanted it to be! Feels better to drive and its a little extra safety :)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

:lol: The best one is wlking around a big supermarket like tesco with the steering wheel in your hand that gets some funny looks haha
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

As crazy as it sounds im looking forward to it haha.
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

Carrying on from the last episode,
This evening i got busy stripping the other gearbox and swapping a few cogs, It was daunting to say the least, but hugely satisfying having one shaft built up...

The shaft on the left is the one i am utilising, i noticed a difference in size for the input shaft bearing at the top, so i used the on applicable to the casing it is going in. The 16v Bearing was larger than that of the GL if anyone is curious, i used the GL on due to it going back in that casing.

I didn't need to build both shafts back up but i did anyway for practice. I really enjoy gearboxes tbh... Its almost the realm of the unknown to alot of people. I look forward to doing a rebuild at somepoint... that is of course if this box combo works as intended.

Also just so you remember what my car looks like heres a crappy snap with my mates valver, She looks filthy in this pic!

Got wood? Finally source a horn button albeit this was months ago i am yet to throw a picture up

I will get the counter shaft done when i can as i need access to a vice and quite possibly a gear puller... i am hoping college can help :)

Untill next time Ladies and gents,
Peace!
DanT
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by DanT »

we have a car in at work with a wooden steering wheel.gotta say they feel pretty cool lol.

im soo tempted to get another 4g,but one rocking a b series lump
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

I love mine dan. Although sometimes i do think a suede one will be nice i am tempted to get a suede one at some point just for a change. Next year alot of parts going on the car will be very fast road/track focused so maybe then. I plan to get a fixed bucket, A proper shifter like an FLP or the tegiwa rep and some uprated engine mounts :). I have been fiending for an OMP WRC wheel since jack sold mine for silly cheap :|
DanT
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by DanT »

yeh you cant beat the feel of a decent suede wheel..fixed buckets make a huge difference as well,they keep you properly secure so your not thrown around,which means you can push the car harder
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

DanT wrote:yeh you cant beat the feel of a decent suede wheel..fixed buckets make a huge difference as well,they keep you properly secure so your not thrown around,which means you can push the car harder
I noticed that as soon as i put my recaro in it felt like the car 'handled' better. They also weigh less than the normal seat :)
Lee4391

Post by Lee4391 »

Gearbox update.

I started to swap gears from one countershaft to the other, however it did not go as expected, the gears came off the crx shaft with ease, yet it took a bit more force and e lever bar to remove the gears from the civic shaft. Also after a few part searches and a schematic diagrams of both shafts on the Honda original parts website i found that one bearing on the civic shafts is 0.2mm smaller than that of the crx. So there is quite clearly some differences in shaft diameter albeit very small.

Also like a c@^t i cracked a tooth on one gear, but not to threat i am sourcing another box this weekend. I will not give up to be honest as i know that it should work, there is no reason why it should not as the yanks have done it and proceed to do it regularly. None the less the battle goes on. I only managed one picture due to being at college and not having much time(This didn't help)

Untill next time.
Ben_theEFking
4GUK Donator

Post by Ben_theEFking »

Good work Lee, you'll get there buddy!
91' Civic EE9 I-VT
pikey-pete
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by pikey-pete »

any more updates on the gear box bud??
double D power!!

check my build http://4guk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;