Mr Clutch

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
Optimus
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Mr Clutch

Post by Optimus »

Anyone ever used a Mr Clutch place before? All i've read on the 'net is avoid them like the plague, but their online quote is £240, whilst my usual garge quoted me £400 to £450!

I don't see how they can charge so little, unless they're using shite parts and doing the job in a really rushed fashion...
Optimus

...and ebay clutch kits

Post by Optimus »

Also, why the difference between the EE8 CRX kit and the EE9 Civic kit, I thought with the same engine it'd be the same clutch?! :?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT- ... 4cf5101c22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT- ... 5642827a6c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone used on of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/F1-RACING-STAGE-1 ... 4aa8c8ca60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rallyeluke
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Re: Mr Clutch

Post by rallyeluke »

Do not use them. My old work colleague worked there and I heard alot of stories about what they would get up to..

I took my h22a prelude there once as they sounded cheap. Left the car with them. They gave me a call and said they had to order in clutch from japan as it has a racing one as standard and that I would need a flywheel as well. Job went from £300 to £800 in about 30 secs
D16a9 Powered dream machine!

No greater fun then backing off the throttle at 7400rpm and spraying fire out the exhaust ;)
streaker

Post by streaker »

They did my old Coupe. They were the cheapest. I didnt have any trouble. Collected the car and did another 10K.

Mr. Clutch will use the cheapest parts available( and get decent discount as thats what they buy )but they have warrenty and any clutch should last 50K miles. I cant comment on the skills, but its not rocket science and if they do them all day every day.......

Just get a binding quote and dont take any cack. Ask to see the old parts afterwards before they start the job.

The CRX and Civic clutch kit are the same, should be the same price. I think Daz has used F1, I havent heard any bad things.
skull-candy18
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by skull-candy18 »

Could you buy a new clutch (exedy etc) and get them to fit it ?
Alex
CRX 1616
rallyeluke

Post by rallyeluke »

skull-candy18 wrote:Could you buy a new clutch (exedy etc) and get them to fit it ?

Computer says no!

No greater fun then backing off the throttle at 7400rpm and spraying fire out the exhaust ;)
lyndonstark88
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by lyndonstark88 »

why not fit it yourselfs? cheaper :)
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

lyndonstark88 wrote:why not fit it yourselfs? cheaper :)
Says you mr "How do you chance a headgasket"
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
rallyeluke

Post by rallyeluke »

Gizmo wrote:
lyndonstark88 wrote:why not fit it yourselfs? cheaper :)
Says you mr "How do you chance a headgasket"
like!

lyndonstark88
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by lyndonstark88 »

i got plenty of engines and plenty of cars so maybe i wouldnt need to ...... besides i did it myself in the end :)
lyndonstark88
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by lyndonstark88 »

oh and by the way its change not chance ! mr honda expert
WELLZ
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by WELLZ »

Ive only had one (stupid) friend who used them. We now call them Mr Bullshit.

Avoid.
'90 B16B ED7! - SOLD :(
'96 Subaru Impreza WRX V-Limited
Adam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Adam »

At the risk of getting an earful I worked at a Mr Clutch for a few months when I was first starting out.

The reason the prices are so cheap is because they knock out so many of them in a day. The most I ever did (including helping out the other guys as well) was 13 in a day!

7am to 7pm lifting gearboxes in and out takes its toll :cry:

They are franchised so it all really depends on the individual garage. There were some eye rolling moments, where customers were told they really should have the flywheel skimmed because the clutch had severely damaged the face (not the case in a few instances).

At the end of the day it's the same problem with any garage. If you go in there knowing what you want and know bullsh*t when you smell it, then I doubt you will find a cheaper price.

They will quote a job time of say 4 hours, and actually do the job in 1.5 - 2 hours, then call you when the 4 hours are up.
Optimus

Post by Optimus »

Think i'll just stick with my usual garage, i've used them for years, and as the car is abandoned there anyway it makes sense! :lol:

Just need to track down a replacement clutch kit at a reasonable price, they can provide one but the prices he was getting quoted for while i was there were around the £150+VAT mark, and i'm sure there are cheaper alternatives to that.

Anyone know the part number/s for getting a replacement from Honda themselves, and usual price?
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

Well, for my GL I am running a stock spec ADL Blueprint one....Nominous kindly helped me fit it...seems fine...can handle a bit of abuse and now I have covered 45,000 miles with it.
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image