PROJECT POS - 4 door Civic EF Saloon

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
ash d-series
**Trader**

Post by ash d-series »

It looks absolutley nuts on the alley cats, loving the grids aswell though. Nice project 8)
bigscott
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by bigscott »

that looks awsome loving the rotas and thought it looked great on the alleycats your mad with the cut springs tho lol
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

very nice indeed

dangerous cutting springs though, easier to just get adjustables
VIP
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by VIP »

flatliner wrote:
VIP wrote:
Oldskool J-EDM wrote:but stop cutting springs...it's dangerous...
*citation required.
???
People moan and wail about cut springs without any real knowledge or intelligence.

You think the stocks springs in your cars were made from a single piece of steel? Nope they were cut from a much longer spring formed on a coiling drum, which then had the ends shaped and formed.

Oh no! We're all running cut coils, we're all going to die!
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

VIP wrote:
flatliner wrote:
VIP wrote: *citation required.
???
People moan and wail about cut springs without any real knowledge or intelligence.

You think the stocks springs in your cars were made from a single piece of steel? Nope they were cut from a much longer spring formed on a coiling drum, which then had the ends shaped and formed.

lmfao. you call that ^ real knowledge and intellegence?

its not the fact how its made, but the less metal on the coil the WEAKER it will be. also the less residence it has means it will bottom out your shocks a lot and rendering them useless as well as being a S*!t bouncy ride, and possibly damaging more parts. cut springs are prone to CRACKING/SHATTERING

not exactly a clever thing is it... going 70mph over a harsh bump/dip and SMASH good bye suspension, good by car, possible good bye life...

function over form!!
flatliner
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by flatliner »

ash d-series wrote:It looks absolutley nuts on the alley cats, loving the grids aswell though. Nice project 8)
Cheers :top:
flatliner
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by flatliner »

bigscott wrote:that looks awsome loving the rotas and thought it looked great on the alleycats your mad with the cut springs tho lol
Thank you mate
flatliner
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by flatliner »

VIP wrote: People moan and wail about cut springs without any real knowledge or intelligence.

hahaha, nice reply dude :top:
flatliner
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by flatliner »

Marc_VT wrote: lmfao. you call that ^ real knowledge and intellegence?

its not the fact how its made, but the less metal on the coil the WEAKER it will be. also the less residence it has means it will bottom out your shocks a lot and rendering them useless as well as being a S*!t bouncy ride, and possibly damaging more parts. cut springs are prone to CRACKING/SHATTERING

not exactly a clever thing is it... going 70mph over a harsh bump/dip and SMASH good bye suspension, good by car, possible good bye life...

function over form!!
hmmmm.... slightly over the top lol!
seems fine to me, the last four cars i've had have had cuts, not caused me a single problem... tho the ride is poor, but you expect that with £170 coilovers...
Form over function for me on such a cheapo car!
flatliner
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by flatliner »

Marc_VT wrote:very nice indeed

dangerous cutting springs though, easier to just get adjustables
cheers.... they are adjustables! just cheap shitty ones from belgium
five
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by five »

Hey tapp!

Eddie is getting some love i see! I'll get some more pics (and probs my own thread!) when i've cleaned him and lowered the front as he sits awful at the minute!

Also what's all this rubbish about cut springs! !'d rather buy cheap coilies, cut the hell out of them, than pay through the nose for a set of coilovers that lower my car about... 1cm! Pfft :P boys!
Enneaitch
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Enneaitch »

I'm gobs go buy my sedan later today!!! Loving the sedan love. I'm thinking about a cheap set of coilover sleeves until I can afford a good set of coilys

You still got those alleycats?
VIP
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by VIP »

Marc_VT wrote: lmfao. you call that ^ real knowledge and intellegence?

function over form!!
Cut springs are no more likely to crack or shatter than an uncut one. They are one and the same. You can clamp a 'stock' coil spring completely shut with coil spring compressors, so if increased deflection was an issue, the spring would 'shatter' well before you'd clamped the spring closed.

Shortening a spring DOES increase the spring rate, which in turn will lead to a firmer ride. It does NOT make the spring weaker.

You should, of course, if removing several coils, match the new suspension travel to prevent bottoming out, but you would do exactly the same if you installed a 'purchased' shorter spring anyway.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

It does not make the spring weaker, However, it Ruins the Geometry of the spring, for one it will not sit right and the spring will lean in the shock bottom and top mounts when compressed.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
VIP
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by VIP »

Gizmo wrote:It does not make the spring weaker, However, it Ruins the Geometry of the spring, for one it will not sit right and the spring will lean in the shock bottom and top mounts when compressed.
Negligible. If at least 180 degrees of the top/bottom coil of the spring is resting on the spring cup when the suspension is loaded (i.e. the car is on it's wheels) then the forces applied through the spring will still be lateral enough to keep the spring in it's vertical shape.