New Member with 1992 Honda Civic 1.6i VTEC

Introduce yourself to the rest of us - what's your car, plans and maybe a little about yourself if you like!
pdh-online
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

New Member with 1992 Honda Civic 1.6i VTEC

Post by pdh-online »

Hi Folks,

Many, many thank to all you guys who rang me to say that I'd got the price wrong - what a pleasant surprise! I dare not say how little we were asking - I'm sure some of you will remember.

So we pulled the Auto Trader ad, polished it up and prepared a web page.

http://box1.host1free.com/~ronda/

Not sure at this point how to get the best price. Thinking of running an Ebay ad linking out to the web page. Is this a good idea or will the really interested buyers miss it? What sort of reserve should I put on it? Can I promote it on 4GUK?

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,
Peter.
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

Nothing less than £2000, it's virtually 1 owner and it's pretty much standard.
I personally would quite happily pay £2200.
I hope it goes to someone nice.
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Worth £2.5k all day long.
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

I remember this its a really nice example id say 2000-2500 easy but reallly depends on the buyers / bidders
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
Turtle
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by Turtle »

Rust on the A-pillar?

Little areas like that aren't a big problem though ideally the car wants to go to someone who will sort all such issues out properly before they become a problem.

Good luck with finding a good home for the car.

-Brian.
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Eagle eyes 8)

Worth £2k all day long now.
COSWORTH
**Trader**

Post by COSWORTH »

Lol he has got it up for £3,995

I'm having such a good time..
Yas SiR
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Yas SiR »

ill give 1500 for it :lol:
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

id say its worth 2000-2300

looks like a great example apart from the slight rust on the drivers A-pillar
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

I bet it has more rust that just that on the A pillar.

Checked behind sill covers and behind back bumper?
pdh-online
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by pdh-online »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the feedback and the phone calls & email too. I can only go off what you guys say and one or two of you have put it up towards the £4k, so that is where I'm starting. Maybe there is a reason for making large valuations privately - if there is I don't know what it is.

Kammi wrote "theres no way your gona get anywhere near £4000 for it as u can get a rust free ef9 for that much, ul be lucky to get more than £2500 and thats pushing it, its got rust on the a piller and front bumper grill has been paited at some point as it comes in black as OME, mirror has been cliped at some point, all these bad points, so it not mint."

Thanks for the offer Kammi, if you wait long enough then maybe it will be yours for £2,500. I'll slowly lower the advertised price till it goes, but I won't be making any big jumps without running again.

I guarantee no driving accidents. Front drivers wing was replaced by Honda Dealer for £425.31(ins) on 22/07/1994 after someone reversed into it. Also on 15/06/1995 following attempted theft Honda Dealer charged £1,120(ins) to replace various components (fuse box cover, steering tilt, locks, door handle, indicator lamps, etc.) and respray of drivers door, wing and bumper. All static damage - they couldn't start the engine!

Recent minor welding for MOT (seat belt anchorage) - no major rust problems reported or known.

No not mint, after all its 18 years old! If you want mint can always buy new.:roll: Even better though, it is genuine, authentic, original and very well looked after.:)

As you've seen, I've got it on pistonheads - where else should I put it? - apart from the obvious.:shock:

Keep the comments coming. TTFN.
Turtle
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by Turtle »

A rust repair around the seat belt anchorage is in one of the usual areas where they go. A typical MOT repair would be a plate that will last for a few years but won't really have stopped the rot. It does make it likely that there is more than just the visible patch on the A-pillar.

I don't know what initial price you had the car advertised for, but lots of forum people rang up to warn that you were selling the car too cheaply.

Now I find myself hoping that the word spreads in a similar fashion that you're after too much for the car.

Don't get me wrong, it does still look and sound like a car that could be very good. But it isn't an immaculate rust free car that might command the kind of price you seem to think it is worth.

-Brian.
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Tahir wrote:I bet it has more rust that just that on the A pillar.

Checked behind sill covers and behind back bumper?
pdh-online
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

A Big Thank You

Post by pdh-online »

I don't know what initial price you had the car advertised for, but lots of forum people rang up to warn that you were selling the car too cheaply. Now I find myself hoping that the word spreads in a similar fashion that you're after too much for the car.
Perhaps I should expand on my initial post. Yes, thanks to the many forum members who rang me, I was saved from selling far too low. I was also warned that there was forum discussion about how to rip me off and I found false reports of vehicle sightings with ashtrays overflowing etc. However, particular thanks must go to the few who also spent a long time on the phone advising me on how to make the most of what I have to offer. I'm not sure who they were now but a very big Thank You to you if you are listening.

I still don't know how much it is worth – that is what I am trying to find out – I have only what you guys are saying in public and private to go on. So, I'm starting high – don't be offended – if you think I'm asking too much then wait till I lower the price – if you are afraid someone might pay too much then perhaps it would make a good investment for you – and if it were to sell high, then yours might be worth that bit more than you thought – what's the harm in asking? Remember, its only because I've been open that you know as much as you do.

Within the spectrum of forum members I'm finding that public talk can be a little negative, apparently talking it down, while private talk can be more supportive and optimistic. When buying an eighteen year old car rust is bound to be a consideration. Even if a car appears to be rust free, it could still be the worst. Similarly, if you can see some rust and assume the worst, then you could miss out.

Keep the feedback coming, good or bad.
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Sir, have you had a look behind the sill covers, behind the rear bumper and boot floor for more rust?