1991 - Civic ED2 Sedan - D14A1

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
EllisG93
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by EllisG93 »

Si, can I ask you a question?
Awaiting It's B16A1
Aleksandrs
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Aleksandrs »

cryz2 wrote:just take the green POD filter off the pipe !!!!! and your done ,

you have a pipe nippel offthe carbs that i think you should block off ,

with a bit of rubber pipe and a bolt and some intant gasket
Right okay! If I was able to get a pipe that goes to the front for cool air would you advise it or wouldn't it make any difference?

Also this "pipe nipple" (whatever one of those is), can you circle it in one of the photos please so I know which one? Cheers.
Aleksandrs
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Aleksandrs »

Right okay thanks a lot for the help so far :)

Because my radiator is the wrong one, should I be looking for one for mine? Could this be part of the reason its overheating?
Aleksandrs
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Aleksandrs »

Alright guys! Just fitted the old filter back in the air box and took the ripspeed filter off the pipe! As I was looking around in the dash I noticed the coin tray which I had failed to look in, and I found... the two rubber ends for the bits on the carbs! I wonder why they were taken off?!

Its another mystery along with why the car had the heat on full whack despite when the guy allegedly last drove the car, it was really hot outside.

So anyway the rubber bits are back on and the air filter is sorted. Now I need to find some way to rip the alarm out.
EllisG93

Post by EllisG93 »

just rip it out... i did
Awaiting It's B16A1
Aleksandrs
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Aleksandrs »

So if this guy managed to drive 70 miles home with his heater on, you reckon this could still be used to go to the shops? It's a massive pain having to rely on lifts as I don't wanna take the car out the village so doing that temporarily wouldn't bother me. Of course if it meant I could do damage then I wouldn't do it.
Aleksandrs
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Aleksandrs »

Should be getting the Thermostat and Radiator cap tomorrow so will see how that goes. Might find the whole thing was just the thermostat is stuck in closed! Radiator fan comes on, but the sensor isn't working properly. (Or so the AA guy said). Will get a new one of those too.

Thanks for the help 8)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Thats harsh bud ive been looking into that aswell but didnt like the sound of it and i cant really pretend my car isnt modified, wish i could :lol:

Also that pipe on the side of the carbs (gold bit) should have a rubber piece over it to block it off check the other side aswell as there should be another one there. I have a black block off piece spare if you want it ?
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
Aleksandrs
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Aleksandrs »

Said a few posts up that I found both the rubber covers mate, thanks anyway! They were just randomly sitting in the coin tray! Got both sides fitted on :wink:
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

:lol: sorry buid didnt see the post as i started typing it before all that was there but got distracted on another page, and just posted it after that :oops:

Good to hear you found the pieces bud 8)
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

*Note for Ellis....cheers for helpfullness....this is what this forum is all about....thanks....but you have a 1.6i-16 which has a totally different air intake system than the D14/D15 Carb engines, and as such your airbox is of no use.

As for a cold air feed, there really is no need on a carb'd engine...they are not affected by heat to the same extent as injection engines....so by removing the mushroom filter, and replacing the stock OEM style drop in panel filter....all is good.

You see this black-block thing that looks as if it is held on to the braided pipe by 2 cable ties.....remove it...it is a bogus fuel filter thing that supposedly does miracles on MPG. In fact it doesn't do anything at all... it's just a big magnet. So bin it.

As Cryz2 said....the heater on full whack recirculates the water from the engine into the cars heater matrix (car fan heater)...this is a known trick to help cool overheating engines....particularly usefull to know if in very hot climates and/or traffic jams...but as you have found out, some unscrupulous types do this to hide problems from potential buyers.
Aleksandrs wrote:
cryz2 wrote:this set up would work ,and quite well , but it needs the Hot air by pass from the manifold blocked off ,

as its open from the heat sheild and its just letting in unfiltered air , in to the carbs :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Okay I am confused now, what bits do I need?
What Si was trying to suggest is that the mushroom filter thing can work out fine....but there is a heat-wrapped pipe (looks like it has a bandage wrapped around it) that goes to just under the round thing on the air intake...as seen in your pics.

This pipe delivers warm air straight from the exhaust manifold into the air intake system at that point....when the engine is cold, upon initial start-up. Once the engine is warm, the round thing on the air intake (dash-pot) closes to stop any more warm air entering the engine. It is designed to help cars atomise the fuel better in cold/damp weather. Back on track...when the engine is cold, lots of air will be entering the air intake at this point....so it would bypass the mushroom filter....hence it would need to be blocked off if you were to use such a filter. As you have fitted an air filter into the correct place (the airbox), this is not a problem as the warm air feed is still going to be filtered now...as Honda intended.

Hope this clears up a few things. :wink:
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image
Aleksandrs
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Aleksandrs »

Thanks a huge amount for explaining all that! I don't know much about engines but learning lots every day! :D

I did notice the stupid fuel magnet thing lol, that was taken off and binned yesterday :D
Aleksandrs
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Aleksandrs »

Almost attempted to put the thermostat in myself but realised I have no sort of sealant of the rubber gasket, and no replacement coolant.

Only things done to the car today is personalising the cabin a bit :D

Have a picture ^_^

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker »

Flange

I love that word
No longer on the 'sucker list'
Aleksandrs
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Aleksandrs »

:lol: