My 1.6i 16V (soon to be track project)

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Yeah - I agree with the above, don't bother with a shortshifter, just put some energy poly bushes on your stock setup.

Also changing the bushes is a good mod as they will be worn, although I would reccommend either Hardrace or Mugen bushes.
Daveymo
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Daveymo »

Sorry to not take your advice guys but I have decided to go down the shortshifter route! :D (as ALWAYS funds are low so its cheap and cheerful mods FTW!!!!!)

Managed to get one through a friend at Japspeed (stupidly seriously cheaply ;) ) so thought its worth a go considering its cost me naff all!

Also getting MOT sorted next week

Then some TEYAKI track unit vinyl decals will be going on rear 3 windows :D

Then if i get any time left and can be bothered, will refurb my wheels :D
ImageImageImage
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Good Luck with the shortshifter, if its a bad design you could find it hard to select gears and it can make your gearbox wear out quicker.
Daveymo
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Daveymo »

EE9 CVC wrote:Good Luck with the shortshifter, if its a bad design you could find it hard to select gears and it can make your gearbox wear out quicker.
Thanks for advice and pointers ;)
I'm just trying it out at first. It could end up being useless but worth a go i spose. If its crap, i'll go back to standard and just chuck it in the bin, and all in all won't be a major loss :D

Trial and error i spose :D
ImageImageImage
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

I still use my shortshifter, but if I was doing it again I would avoid it, it definitly feels better with the stock one, but the shortshifter definitly makes the throw shorter.

It sometimes depends on the shortshifter, cheap ones can be awfull while the better ones can be ok, but I don't think theres a shortshifter out there that feels the same as oem.
Daveymo
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Daveymo »

Managed to get bit of work done on the civic last weekend :)

Massive thanks to Gizmo for his HOWTOGUIDE. Was a big help! ;)

Finally got round to having a go at my short shifter.
I think I'm missing something :shock: :? :lol:

After stripping bottom part of the center console and the gear knob and handbrake trims, this is what she looks like.
Needs bit of a clean, but hopefully my mate will be able to work his magic and spray it clean and smooth looking as the boot! :D

And this is roughly what she will look like when its all finished (fingers crossed :D Ran out of time and spilt my bottle of beer outside on the floor DOH...... so didnt have chance to put it all back together. Just need a few spare hours one night next week :)

ImageImageImage
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

'kin hell, thats a tad short.

What shifter are you using?
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

I'm guessing its not up fully in that pic, theres no way it could be that short :shock:

Would certainly give a new meaning to the term short shifter. :lol:
Daveymo
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Daveymo »

LOL good spot. It's not bolted in properly yet.

I did mention i haven't had chance to put it all back together properly ( mentioned just before second to last pic) ;)

Currently it's just resting there, with most of the shifter dropped down the hole

Hopefully should be getting it all finished in next day or two :D
ImageImageImage
Daveymo
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Daveymo »

New short shifter is done............all finished..........fitted...........complete.........finito.......!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

:top: :top: :top:

Feels so much better. Gear shift throw has been hugely reduced!!!!! LOVE IT!!!! :D 8) Short sharp clicks of gear changes= hell of a lot of fun! Aparantly there was already a short shifter in this car. I can 100% say the one in the car wasnt a short shifter, or was the worst s.s in the world and didnt reduce it at all. This feels very solid, very easy gear changes, no crunches etc etc just cracking fun.

(will get pics up tomorrow if i get chance)

Also quickly fitted another little goody i've had lying round that i've been too lazy to fit last few weeks :D

Cheapo Lower rear brace. Not sure how much affect it will have on the car but it looks pretty cool when car is on the road

:D

For anyone who knew me about a year ago would be amazed that I've managed to do as much mechanical work as i have done in last few months. Might only be minor things to others, but some of these things are pretty big accomplishments for me :D If you asked me a year or two ago to change a set of brake pads and i would have laughed at you lol :lol: The phrase "give it a go and hope for the best" couldnt be more fitting lol!

After this and MOT all sorted- she's back on the road now and love it!
Well chuffed :D

ImageImageImage
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Awesome car mate keep up the good work :)
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

like this! well smart man, did u have to drop ur exhaust to fit the shifter or was it orite? am thinkin bout getting one, make much off a difference?
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

I did mine with the exhaust on :)
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
conors
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by conors »

dude, just got 2 of those black cobra's you have (the 1's with the white 'cobra' on them) what did you have to do to get them on ur old rails? mines dont line up, i got brackets off the crx seats but the dont do the job, any handers? cheers!