147k mileage d16a questions

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
4ghantsmatt

147k mileage d16a questions

Post by 4ghantsmatt »

Hi there I have just bought a 1990 civic 1.6 16v d16a and as above it has done 147k miles.

I do not know when the cambelt was last done so what should I look out for apart from that on such a high mileage engine?

It pulls very well still but 2nd and 3rd gears are sometimes a bit crunchy when engaging them at speed unless you are slow and gentle with them. Is this usual (I guess it has been ragged!)

What am I looking at to keep the car running nicely until next may when I sell it.

I was thinking, oil change, oil filter, spark plugs, cam belt if it needs it (told by a mechanic friend that they are quite an involved job to do on these particular engines and it may not be worth it)

He also told me that the leak of oil from the head area means the headgasket needs doing but this also is not worth doing as the gasket kits are quite expensive (I paid £500 for the car).

Any other ideas for keeping my car in reasonable health?

thanks
SteveRowe
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by SteveRowe »

most of those jobs are easy enough and cheapy done by yourself , if your worryed about the cambelt get it done or sods law ull get to the weekend and it'lll snap and uve wasted your 500quid
Austin Mini 1330cc
Rover Mini 1293cc
SteveRowe wrote:
shak 786 wrote:im intitled to my opinion
in that case my opinion is ... your a fanny ....
91civic_VT
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by 91civic_VT »

Might aswell get the cambelt changed, it isn't a difficult job especially for a mechanic.

The oil is probably coming from the front left side of the engine right? if it is don't worry about it, they all seem to go there where the oilway is.

Gearboxs also seem to go, bit of a weak point i guess. Probably the syncro's are knackered, i think the layshaft bearings are pretty weak too...they will rumble when you drive if they are bad. Not worth fixing if you don't want to spend much as gearbox rebuilds are expensive, should keep going for a while yet. You could try replacing the gearbox oil with honda MTF or land rover MTF, some people say that it helps.

Only other thing is maybe replace the coolant.
Michael

Civic VT - B16a1
CRX 1.5x - D15b