Project EF2 - Rebirth!

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

good day today!

Got some new Airtools and managed to get them working with pretty good torque! also got a 6" DA Sander that works excellent! (No Slow-Downs when touching paint etc)

As a result, Motivation, so i started finding every nut and bolt i could undo with the air rachet and air gun!

so, off the came the subframe!

Subframe and all PAS, All brake Pipes in the engine bay, the prop valve, the master cylinder, brake booster and the rest of the harness!

With the engine bay now completly bare (apart from the Wiper Motor), i got out the grinder, spot weld drills, soft pad and a wirewheel.

I took out all un-needed brackets, but i fucked up on 3, and went through the weld and through the metal...This happened on the passenger strut tower, just behind the passenger strut tower and the bit were the rack enters the firewall! easily sorted though.

Then started on the seam sealer in some places.

Also took out the pedal box aswell! just need to undo the connectors in the doors, then ill be able to take the loom out!

Ive also sold the VT Shell aswell to a mate! so it will live on! hes planning to H22a it!
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Gizmo wrote:As a result, Motivation
I never run out of Motivation, I'll sell you some if you want, I'm sure I've got enouth spare. :lol: :lol:

Glad to see you've made some good progress on her today, you're making me wish I had an EF project to work on from the ground up. Unfortunatly I don't think I ever will, as my next project isn't even going to be Honda.

Keep up the good work.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Oh, i also tested the passenger rear arch for filler today, its about 3-4mm thick at the lip, down to about 0.5mm at the fuel filler, but my mate reckons that the bit near the filler is just thick OEM paint, so im going to take a bit more off just to see.

SEND ME MOTIVATION!!
fasterfasterfaster
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by fasterfasterfaster »

Me 3!!!!
HONDAB88
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by HONDAB88 »

best of luck with the build man, i actually think your ef2 is perfect the way it is! i would not change a thing! the early ef bits and vtec on carbs really make it unique i have thought about the b16a for my own ef2 but i have to admit strange as it may seem ...... i would miss the dual carb setup! hope it works out for you and cant wait to see the car finished i bet it'll be quick am i mistaken or is the ef2 shell lighter than the ee9 / ef9? :top:
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Id say the EF2 weighs about the same tbh!

i did love the EF2 the way it was, but, ive always wanted more power.

Im the Spirit of the EF2, ill be tuning the GL to be a 1400cc monster :D
Colin_D13B
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Colin_D13B »

Keeping up the good work i see
Only man for it haha
Get me more pics!!! :lol:
In love with this car
White FTW :P
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Went down again today!

If you remember, drivers wing was welded on, sooo, i had to cut it off, so, seeing as the wing was scrap anyways, i just pulled the fecker off!

Crap inside the car! Arg! no space to move....

So, i opened the boot of the VT, and unbolted the drivers seats and put them forward, and stuff all the crap inside there!

I also managed to fix the "Broken" Dyson that was in the garage, just took to to bits to find Hay and wat no in all the pipes! looks like a mouse had been previously living in the, so i took it to bits, cleaned it, back together, and it worked a charm! so i ended up hoovering out the floorpans aswell!

Also found some more rust....

The hoover, managed to open up this hole...

Upon inspection (Stabbing with a screwdriver), it seems were the floorpan meets the inner sill, an inch from the inner sill is rotten, so will need to be cut out and replaced, but by the looks of it, its all original bodywork!

(if you see were the tar line stops, the painted bit is the rotten section, along the whole floorpan)

Drivers side however...has had previous welding work, and pretty shoddy work to! the new sill has been welded over the top of the old sill, and as a result, the rot was never really cut away, instead, it was still there so to speak, as a result, the same has happened this side with regards to rot

My thoughts after i found all this...

im not put off though! not one bit! i did feel a bit downhearted when the screw drivers was going through, what looked like sturdy metal....but i just thought about how well i could learn to weld using this!

So, away from the rust...

Removed both doors (weight a TON! nothing compared to DX Doors :wink: )

Removed the Wiper motor and scuttle panel (whilst only saving 2 Clips....), i havnt removed the linkage, as i dont want to open to that can of worms, but we will see.

as a result....

from the benchseats forward, is now completly bare down to the metal! Result!

Bring on my next day off! have this thing completly bare! and then to start cutting and welding!

oh, and airtools FTMFW! i recommend them to anyone for DIY Car work :D
91civic_VT
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by 91civic_VT »

Are you gonna do anything with the VT?
Michael

Civic VT - B16a1
CRX 1.5x - D15b
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Aye, its the Donor car
91civic_VT
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by 91civic_VT »

Good to see it's not going to waste! :lol:
Michael

Civic VT - B16a1
CRX 1.5x - D15b
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

i know! i wasnt expecting it at all!

Ive always know the drivers sides been dodgy, as said, the new sills be welded right over the top, so its a bit messy, so i was planning to cut it out and replace with fresh metal anyways.

Passenger side however, wasnt expecting it at all! i was actually hoovering the seam sealer along the floorpan when i hoovered up some of the paint flakes on the first hole, i gave it a slight tap and it went though :?

NOT put off though! im planning to cut a 1" strip the lenth of the floorpan and put in fresh metal, maybe 2" on the drivers side.

ill be an Ace welder when im done welding this fucker :lol:
HONDAB88
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by HONDAB88 »

stop! just put it back together it was perfect!!! :(
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

I've found this thread for you Giz, it's from a couple of years ago but you'll like it.
http://ef-honda.com/main/viewtopic.php? ... uild+floor

2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Cheers for that kev, im sure if seen ti before, but good read non the less!

Fortunatly, my floors arnt that Rotten, its only about 1" from were the floor meets the inner sill, but ill be cutting it all out and replacing with fresh! (hopefully in a few weeks!!)

So! had a couple spare hours today, so i headed on down....(Weres this motivation coming from!?)

i wanted the inside of the car BARE today, and im 99% there now!

Garage was freezing today, the compressor had frozen, so i had to put the heater on the compressor/

i used the cold to chip away at the sound deadening, i only did this much...

Finally got the roof liner out, so i could unplug the rest of the front harness.

Image.

And, nothing in the back!

Shes nearly there! just the Rear lights, Boot release cable and some other bits, then its the fuel tank and RTA's! should take a couple of minutes with the air gun!

Wheres all the crap though?

in the VT....