Is it worth me changin the gear box?

4th Generation Honda Civic Owners Club Main Forum.
Soldier456
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Is it worth me changin the gear box?

Post by Soldier456 »

I'm wanting to sell my motor, because i don't have the money to put into it anymore. I just got an MOT and 6 months tax a few weeks back. But the sills need doin, and the arches, paint work is shabby, and i just dunno anymore what is original paint on the car/ original panels. It's done 144k miles. It still runs well, and i service it regularly. Thing is it needs a new box, cos it crunches in 2nd, n 3rd, and is generally stiff. Should i spend the money on a new box off cal, £80 odd on a clutch and get a mate to fit for £100. What ya reckon? Is it worth it if i ganna sell up?

Rich4thGen
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Post by Rich4thGen »

Gotta weigh it up i reckon mate - add up how much you could get for the car as whole or in bits - with and without the new box. You'd get a good price with a new mot and a fresh box, but I don't actually think it would cover the cost of 180 for the box and fitting compared to if you sold it as is. you'd poss get more for it in parts?
Red EC9 - sold
Red EE9 - sold
Black CRX siR - new toy
Lacey4g
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Lacey4g »

if your sellin it in bits..... dibs on rear lip!
Lacey4g
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Lacey4g »

and front bumper/ induction ;)
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

Have you tried fresh oil in the gearbox?
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
robrex
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by robrex »

agreed with dida4g,

stick some MTF in there and leave it at that.

if the clutch is slipping, on its way out then i would stump up the cash and fix and swap the box. but if its got some life in it leave it be. but i would be honest with any potential buyers.

if you where changing the box yourself i would defo say do it.
george.wills28
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by george.wills28 »

If u want to sell your car than do spend more money on it. It would be useless.
Oldskool J-EDM
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by Oldskool J-EDM »

Truth of the matter is you will always get more money out of breaking a car than selling as-is. I completely think the poor 4G's are all being broken at the moment....when a little effort/expense can keep them going. In a few years at this rate there will be none left.....they are extremely rare as it is. Where's the love fellas???
D14A1 EC9 GL
127WHP@6200rpm Bisimoto
4GUK-Resident-Pic-Whore! Image
Soldier456

Post by Soldier456 »

Oldskool J-EDM wrote:Truth of the matter is you will always get more money out of breaking a car than selling as-is. I completely think the poor 4G's are all being broken at the moment....when a little effort/expense can keep them going. In a few years at this rate there will be none left.....they are extremely rare as it is. Where's the love fellas???
I agree with you mate, but i think i will be breaking it when it comes to the crunch! Both sills are rotten, and the arches too! Can't say i knew an awfull lot about the sills being rotten when i bought it. :oops:
And the gearbox was no way fresh when i bought it either. But i'm sure i can make my money back in parts. :cry:
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

Soldier456 wrote:Both sills are rotten, and the arches too!
You've got sill covers, and buy some VW plastic arch covers for the arches and go for a different offset. Euro look for little cash whilst fixing your rust issues.
Ben_theEFking
4GUK Donator

Post by Ben_theEFking »

Soldier456 wrote:
Oldskool J-EDM wrote:Truth of the matter is you will always get more money out of breaking a car than selling as-is. I completely think the poor 4G's are all being broken at the moment....when a little effort/expense can keep them going. In a few years at this rate there will be none left.....they are extremely rare as it is. Where's the love fellas???
I agree with you mate, but i think i will be breaking it when it comes to the crunch! Both sills are rotten, and the arches too! Can't say i knew an awfull lot about the sills being rotten when i bought it. :oops:
And the gearbox was no way fresh when i bought it either. But i'm sure i can make my money back in parts. :cry:
Its well worth fixing Ben, you only paid £500 for it off me, I told you it needed the sills patching up to get through an mot, and I thought the gearbox problem was due to a crap short shifter? Have you changed the shifter? Its far from "rotten", just the usual 4g rust at the bottom corner of the rear sills. I know the sills had been patched up before but were fine when I sold it to you, (I know it was a while back now) but I cant see it being as bad as your saying now. You would easily get your money back on it if you were to sell it. The engine is super sweet and runs spot on! Dont break it mate, it to good for that! Just needs a little tlc and she`ll be fine!
91' Civic EE9 I-VT
nominous
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nominous »

What is the verdict ?
Captain_Crustacean
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Captain_Crustacean »

Looks to good a car to break, any close up shots of the bad bits?