It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: my 3G, 84 1.3 'deluxe'
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:48 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Hi there!

Thought i'd post up a topic about my civic,

Here it is when i first got it, a standard claret red 1.3 civic delux :)

after an incident involving a lampost and some silly parking, it ended up with a blue door and (since the bonnet was less straight than i would like) a blue bonnet to match xD i also picked up a new rear bumper from the same car and some sexy sidelight indicators, originally from an old accord, i think

i also bought some minilights for £30 in need of a refurb, and some cool paint to go with them (black/ purple pearl) but i still havent found the time to refurb them as of yet...
in the meantime, i bought a set of 14" ronals with tyres and thats what its sitting on now

i think they quite suit it (despite being off a mk2 golf) and i might end up keeping them instead of the minilights

also, as with all old hondas, done abit of maintenance around the sill area...
but since it was only that corner and a small hole in the front footwell, i consider myself lucky xD

engine wise, however, i have much more interesting plans :twisted:
As much as i love my EV, it is a tad underpowered, and as much as i'd love to put a D16A1 in it, they are getting pretty hard to find so i have a much more.... awkward plan.

a while ago i bought a D15B2 for cheap as a project engine to build up and eventually put in my car, without really knowing that the B2 isnt much of an engine or that these old hondas dont really share much with later models. but anyway, me and my housemate picked it up in his 306 and it sat in our shed while i decided what to do with it
since its a newer D series, a mini me was quite an obvious choice. so, after getting ripped off on a Z6 head on ebay, a trip to the local scrappy and £40 yielded a Y8 head, manifolds and 2 dizzys, a Y8 one and a vac advance one. over the next few weeks i stripped down and rebuilt this head in my student house living room xD
and here it is all built up, new stem seals and everything :)

with the head built up (and my GF in france for 2 weeks) it was time to put it in its new home
B2 head off
reprayed rocker cover (will be black pearl with the wheels eventually xD)
may as well paint the block, eh?
head bolted up
All done!

now you may be wondering what the vac advance dizzy was for, well i dont much fancy swapping a Fi tank and some frankenstein loom for that mini me, and i quite liked the idea of VTEC on carbs so i'm going to be using a set of Kawasaki ZX9R carbs >:]
chopped up B2 DPFI manifold
quick mockup
Just add silicon hoses
and a quick home made VAC collector

now the reason you dont see a swap like this too often is, frankly, its a pain in the arse! unless you can find a D16A1 gearbox to use, the gearboxes are either hydro and require conversion or mount in entirely the wrong places. having by now accepted that this is going to require some hard graft to get in, i went with the latter, an L3 from a mk2 crx

thats pretty much it for now, i'll update this soon as i have a lightened flywheel and new interior to get pics of (Y)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:52 pm 

Hello and welcome to our humble little club.

Nice little project you have going there. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:58 pm 
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Welcome to 4GUK

nice little project the carb manifold looks awesome great work :top:

White GL
Unique Edition

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

hi mate and welcome. has it ran yet and what is it like. haw much work is it to get running properly as i am going to convert to r1 carbs?

soon to be a b series eg coupe. (not permanently though)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:33 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

thanks for the warm welcome and comments :)

i've been on CRX-UK for a while but this place seems to have more similar projects xD

@rusty4g, i have no idea how it runs, its still in my garage atm xD i need to balance my flywheel before it goes in... shouldnt be too much work getting it running right. at the very worst, it'll need new jets or the jets drilling out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

i an running a complete z6 and i have been advised to start with 150 main jets. What bottom end you running?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 am 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

ahh fair enough :) i couldnt find a whole Z6 at the time, so i'm running a 1.5 bottom end. the flat pistons should give a bump in compression and at some point in the future i'll replace the head gasket with a genuine honda Y8 one and skim the head some.

yeah 150 mains sounds about right... i'm gonna see how it runs on the standard ones first then drill them out as a last resort. if you think, a bike engine may be smaller but revs to nearly twice the RPM so standard jets may be alright... we shall see :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:02 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

what carbs are you going to run. I was chatting to a mate earlier who tunes carbs and he told me that r1 carbs won't be big enough as they are only designed to run a 1 litre 250 cc per carb and i want 400 cc per carb so now on the look out for new carbs lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

i'm running ZXR9 carbs. they're 40mm chokes so if anything a tad too big :lol:

R1 carbs will be more than enough mate, they'll probably be about 40mm too. and yeah, they only run 250cc each, but they run them up to 12000 RPM. With a rejet they should be fine :top:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:56 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

it does not matter what they rev to they need to get the right amount of air and fuel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:13 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

yes i know its all about A/F ratios, but my point is, a 1.0l engine at 12000 rpm is going to be sucking in as much fuel and air as a 2.0l at 6000 and the carbs have to supply that fuel. ergo, 1.0l bike carbs should power a 2.0l engine up to 6k reasonably. obviously this is not an exact science and in reality it depends on the engine but thats what rejetting and tweaking the needles is for :wink:

if you think, you'd run twin forties on something like a ford zetec, so 4 40 bike carbs should be fine with only 1.6l :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:27 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

i understand your theory buddy thats the same a what i used to think but it don't work like that honestly. there is too much negative pressure in a carb that size for an engine that size, like you said they will be fine up to 6000 rpm then they are at there peak witch is still 3000 rpm short of maximum revs and the higher end of the rev range is the most important. because of this you won't get the maximum performance out of your motor as the carbs will not provide the maximum amount of fuel/air mix that the motor can take. please don't take this the wrong way as i am only trying to help. i have spent hours searching the net and this is what i have found. please bare in mind that its not only the carbs but cam timing and duration plays probably the biggest part in performance in n/a motors. just trying to help as wouldn't want to spend loads of money on tuning for something thats not going to provide big gains.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 am 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

some help please, could anyone tell me if a d16a8/9 head be used on a D16a1 bottom?? would there be any tips that i should know of it fits or not? help much needed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:26 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

like an idiot i have reorganised my photo bucket account and ruined this thread, but here is the link to the civics library for those interested :)
http://s480.photobucket.com/user/splitt ... vic?page=1

Right, Theres been abit of a change of plans since my last post... the mini-me engine was proving too much hassle for what it was worth, and the ridiculous insurance prices for the civic last year meant that it came off the road for a year. in the meantime i bought an '82 polo and swapped in a 1.6 GTI, with a 1.4 16v head and ran the kawasaki bike carbs (they were fine, btw, pulled like a train up to 7500 and would spin up the wheels in 2nd while moving :twisted: )

i think that car got bike carbs out of my system for now... if i were to do it again, id probably go all out and use bike throttle bodies; abit easier to live with and cheaper to run :lol:

in a few weeks i'll be getting the civic back on the road as its cheap to insure and i miss it! but keeping the 1.3 engine just wouldnt be good form now would it? in its place i plan to put a D16A2, with a skimmed A8 head, A8 inlet and A8 dizzy/ECU (which will be chipped). i'm currently stripping down the engine ready to be cleaned and rebuilt, as soon as i order some rings and shells.

this next bit is copied from CRX-UK because i'm lazy! hope you like it! :)

i've stripped the engine down further and found the bottom end to be in pretty good nick :) i will probably replace the rings and bearings anyway, just for peace of mind :) The sump is also in good nick and just needs a coat of paint, unlike the 5th gear cover...
i have welded in a new bit of sheet there, but havent got the contour quite right and it doesn't fit :roll:

i also started stripping the cylinder head down but stopped after the first spring looked like this
and the rocker looked like this

this meant at least 1 new spring and rocker, and what with the dizzy mounting issues it worked out cheaper to buy a skimmed head off here and save me the hassle of getting mine skimmed.

i have also bought a manifold for a single cam engine off ebay which will be made to fit and my ally flywheel has finally made its way here, so i'll get some pics of all those tasty bits soon :D :D

i have also dragged the civic out of its hole and fitted a new rad of an EG (about the same area as a standard one but thicker)
a small amount of cutting was needed :lol:
all fitted and bled up, but i need to make a bracket to hold the bottom in better
the fan is currently wired to a switch in the car until i can sort a thermo switch
and the massive battery is due to the old one being ruined (it would hold a charge for about 10 mins, you could watch the voltage drop on the multimeter! :shock:) i'm thinking of moving that to the boot to reduce engine bay clutter (and save me buying a new battery! :lol:)

i have also replaced the horrid rear ebay coilovers with the original springs which i have cut, hopefully this will make it abit more comfortable while i look for a better coilover solution.

before (looking abit sorry for itself)
after!!