How To - Remove Sound Deadening the Easy way.

Dedicated to Gizmo and his love for well documented and photographed How To's. Please add comments and pics of your experiences whilst working on your car.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

How To - Remove Sound Deadening the Easy way.

Post by Gizmo »

This is my preferred method, using this method it doesnt matter if its mit winter or mid summer, should still be easy to remove!

So, what you need, is a Hammer and some Pipe Freezing spray used for household plumbing.

Take this spot for an example.

What you want to do, is spray in small sections, i sprayed a section of about 8" by 8"

What you want to do then, is tape the section you have sprayed several times and evenly over the sprayed area.

Now, just get a screwdriver and pry it off! it should come off in big sections and it shouldnt leave any debris.

Now, the spray cost me £7 for that small can, i managed to do the Passengers footwell and half the rear section of the floorpan before it ran out.

you can get bigger cans for cheaper, but i spent a couple of hours going around the local shops but this was all i could find in stock.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
Marc_EE9

Post by Marc_EE9 »

Nice one Gizmo!!

If you don't tape it up, can't you just use a dustpan and brush, or hoover?
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Which ever way you want to, i got an old Dyson as the "Garage Hoover", so i pick up the big chunks with my hand then hoover whats left, job done!

I should also say!

In the floorpan are several Bungs, theres 3 on each side, 1 small and 2 big bungs, the tar sort of welds itself to these when they put it on, so when you bring up the deadening, you will more than likely pull these bungs out (Like Round, metal embossed plates).

ive kept mine and will re-place and reseal onces the floors done!
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
Tahir

Post by Tahir »

Nice how-to.

Will definately be using this when im back.

Tahir
2010 Audi A3 1.6TDi Sport
EE9 CVC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by EE9 CVC »

Far easier and cheaper way to do it is to do it when its below zero outside, the colder the better.

Best way IMO is definitly not a screwdriver as this could easily leave scratches in the paint (doesn't matter if you are re-spraying) the best way is to get it as cold as possible then hit it with a hammer (not too hard) it then tends to break away in big chunks.
RDaltron
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by RDaltron »

Also a mask is a good idea as iirc I read in the honda manual it contains asbestos :shock:
Back again but now with added hatch :)
sam oughton
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Re: How To - Remove Sound Deadening the Easy way.

Post by sam oughton »

wish i looked on here before i spent hours trying to get it out of my car. :evil:

never mind hay live and learn.