4GUK

Honda Civic Forum - 4th Generation Civic Owners Club
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:54 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Hi, I'm Joe.

I've been a member on this site for just over a year. I bought my EE9 in January 2015 and being new to the 4G market bought it at a handsome price and it was pretty rough. I thought it was about time I start a thread with some progress..

A lot has changed since I've owned the car and there's been so much time and money poured into it and the learning curve has been extreme. I'll briefly explain what's been going on. Firstly January-April 2015 it got a lovely low mileage B16a transplant, exhaust, coilovers, amongst other typical mods. December2015-June2016 saw something a bit more special. Being an overly implusive buyer and any money burning a hole in my pocket, I came across a rebuilt B20vtec for sale which sounded interesting, who doesn't want extra torque? Early 2016, a cheapish, yet incomplete, Jackson racing supercharger kit appeared for sale. Unable to say convince myself not to, I had to buy it.

So here I am now with an almost finished JRSC'd B20vtec EE9. Waiting for my mapping date on the 5th of July. Hoping and praying it doesn't go bang on the rollers. *nervous laugh*

I'll be posting a bit more of it's story and build spec over the coming weeks so keep an eye out

Comments/opinions welcome. Also, how do upload pictures?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:01 am 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

January - April 2015 work carried out:
- 2nd gen B16a
- omex rev limiter launch control
- stainless 421 header
- japspeed decat
- powerflow backbox
- refurbished B16a1 rocker cover
- thermal intake gasket
- exedy stage 2 clutch kit
- D2 coilovers
- skunk2 rear LCA's
- 15"x8" Japan racing wheels
- overhauled driveshafts
- all new track rod ends and ball joints
- stripped and POR15'd all suspension parts
- full service
- new fuel tank (POR15'd) - July 2015

Last edited by NE65MAC on Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:22 am 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

January - June 2016 engine work carried out in prep for mapping on the 5th July..

Engine
B20b rebuilt standard bottom with with new bearings, piston rings, vtec oil pump, arp rod bolts, vtec 22t water pump, baffled sump and magnetic plug.
B16a mild port and polish cylinder head, skimmed, valves reground, with gsr cams, blox adjustable cam gears, golden eagle b20 conversion (head oil feed and head gasket), arp head studs, cool spark plugs.

Intake
Jackson racing supercharger kit with 4" nose pulley with B20 crank pulley making 8.2psi, s90 70mm throttle body and port and polished 's' pipe, 3 bar map sensor, aem short arm induction kit, cold air supply to filter, tegiwa thermal intake gasket.

Fuel
Walbro 225 fuel pump, aem fuel rail, Jackson racing fpr, RC 440cc injectors.

Exhaust
Superstreet 4-2-1 s/s header with 2.5" collector, 4 wire o2 sensor, 2.5" M2 decat, 3" custom cat back.

Management
Hondata s300, obd0-obd1 conversion (harness jumpers, 4 wire o2 sensor, obd1 distributor), 3 bar map sensor.

Cooling
Standard full width radiator, spoon 1.3 rad cap, spoon low temp thermostat, AEM water/methanol injection.

Transmission
Standard flywheel, excedy stage 2 clutch, y1 non LSD gearbox

That's about it engine performance related, I'd of liked a wideband o2 sensor but funds are becoming tight. I will be fitting a catch can from the rocker cover in the near future. Also it's a big concern of mine that the clutch and gearbox won't be up to the job of getting the extra power down. From what I've read B20vtecs are torquey, with the charger I'm expecting it to be spinning a tyre a lot with no LSD.

My aim come mapping day was to achieve a safe 250bhp with a 8000rpm limit at 6psi. But now with a big exhaust, 8-9psi, and the water/meth inj I'd love to make 250whp. I can't find many of these builds online so I'm totally guessing these results. Please drop me a message/reply if you think different?

I'm working on writing a build walk through with problems etc I met.. To be posted soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:30 pm 
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Hi Joe,

that's some project, and it looks like a lot of money too. I love something a bit different, not sure if ive heard of another one like this. Ian from ireland has got a nice b20 ef, he may be able to give you some help or advice.
Its good to see someone else from the north east on here, most members seem to be fron down south. Actually we may have met, did you get a bumper from me before Christmas?
Cant wait to see more on this build, do you get to the NE Honda meets at dalton park?

phil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:03 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

That certainly was me who got the bumper off you Phil, I've not had a chance to do anything with it yet since this is draining all my money so I can't get it painted yet. I've still not been to a NE Hondas meet either, but it's a must when the car is done. I'll have to show it off a bit. No doubt it'll be going to mimms and a few more if I can make it. Thanks for the support, keep an eye out for more updates

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:38 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

So now I'm going to try and tell you what I went through get to this point.. Still don't know how to upload pictures so stick with me and I'll upload them all at once.
November 2015 the car came off the road, to be tucked away for winter and tinkered on, servicing and whatnot. I though I'd change the wheels from the silly et0 8" Japan racing ones I had on it, far too wide. I found some volks vesta sesto wheels, 6.5" wide, genuine made in Japan with the small valves, ideal! Blasted and power coated gunmetal grey. The end of November is also when I bought the rebuilt B20. I never thought I'd be putting it in really, it was just a 'nice option to have'. December and January were pretty quiet in terms of working on the car, too cold for me. But I'd bought my 2.5" header and a nice momo steering wheel.
Back at it early February when I bought the Jackson racing supercharger. This is when I knew I had to make the swap happen, what a gluten for punishment. More shopping.. golden eagle b20 kit, arp head bolts, 70mm throttle body, aem induction kit, p28 w/ s300, vtec water pump and gsr timing belt kit. Wow my savings took a hit!
Work started simple, port and polish charger s pipe to accommodate the bigger tb, same on the inlet manifold since the B20's B16 head is port and polished. I should mention I bought the B20vtec engine 'rebuilt' but it had no proof and came without a belt on. I couldn't fit the engine without knowing what was going on inside so I stripped the engine down, mainly to ensure the oil block off had been done and what did bolts were in it. I found no dowel's from block to head and pretty grubby inside, luckily I have some in the GE kit, all good apart from that with new bearings etc etc. I bought arp con rod bolts after reading horror stories of them snapping at high revs, better safe than sorry. When the Pistons and rods were out I took the opportunity to have them balanced within 0.1g of each other. I chemical dipped the block back to bare metal and painted metallic black (looks dark grey). Back together it went, 100% to my B series engine building bible. I sent the head for a skim and it had 4 valves seats re-cut when tested at the shop. Cleaned and pained aluminium silver, grey and silver, great combo, nice to be different. Torqued the head on with the lovely arp bolts, cams in, refurbished wrinkle red rocker cover on. Tadaaaa.
Meanwhile between spells of working on the engine I turned my attention to the bodywork. Bumpers off, wings off, skirts off. The joyous moment of finding a rotten sill, I wanted to cry. New sill welded on and a patch on the other. The wheel arches, sills and behind the bumpers got a generous layer of silver POR15 rust preventative, this stuff is unreal!
By the time all this is done I'm up to mid April. Where has the time gone!

Next post should be with some pictures then I'll pick back up when I get a chance.. Stay posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Look forward to the dyno plot.
A JRSC and the B20B will make for an interesting combination.
The charging will make up for some of the lost compression but you don't say if it's been skimmed/decked.
You're likely to find that power starts to tail off as the JRSC will limit what it can breathe and it'll start choking actually verses NA.
Don't worry about reving too high over stock B20b redline, keep an eye on your IAT's.
VTEC will come in stupidly early, and it'll make a lot of torque very early.
It wont drive like a typical Honda, more like a V6/V8.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:45 am 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

I had the head skimmed, block still at standard. Compression came in at 190psi +/-5psi across the board. My friends DC5 read 200psi on all cylinders.

I'm expecting intake temps to be higher than normal but the water/meth should prevent detonation.

The red line will be going where ever I stop making power, like you say it'll tail off higher through the revs anyway.

I like that comment, more like a v6/v8.. I'd be loving that if I had a LSD :shock: