Traitor to the SOHC

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Traitor to the SOHC

Post by walsh123 »

Sooooo I may or may not have traded the SOHC life for some DOHC action.....

Don't worry its just a phase ill grow out of im sure :oops: :lol:

So probably getting close to I dunno 6 months probably more I bought a EE9. Not your average EE9 oh no that would be far too easy. Instead I went for the airfix kit of EE9's :roll: :lol: I actually bought kind of on a whim it was a chanc ei wasnt going to pass up on. But with no clue what to do with it at the time.

I now am moving in a month to Wiltshire for university....I erm dont currently have a daily car and F taking the grey hatch with no interior etc. So plan is now formed build VT paint it daily it...Full build etc in one month should be interesting :lol:

I cant find pics of it first arriving but...

Looking sorry for its self garage door falling off too lol

I threw a few spare panels I had lying around on it to give me some motivation but with my job and course work for my master tech course it basically just sat there for months.

First time I pulled it pout the work shop was to steal the sprint harts I fitted to it for my daily at the time 91 sedan :lol: :oops:

Engine bay

Just a random Instagram image

The shell is solid no rust very clean overall, basically just needs some love to get it back on the road again.

It eventually was moved as i was storing it in a garage around 7 miles from my house in a well lets face this is Hull a S*!t hole area. So I moved it closer to home. After I finished my master tech course I began to work on it again a lot easier now it was round the corner xD

So first things first I got a boot lid and struts fitted....Only after fitting did I wonder why when I have three boot lids of which two are white did I decide to fit the silver one -__- Hindsight but such is life its on i'm not removing it again was a pain to align!

Any of you who know me will know i'm hardly a fan of late spec civic parts..... So on with the early spec rear lights and a little loom adjusting perfecto

The original bumper form my grey hatch which being from a car with 44k is in mint straight condition :OD Along with a rear filler panel from a local guy Brian for cheap :top:

Passenger side door and front wing from a Dx I bought in a unbelievably sorry state previous had let her children paint it...with tiger seal and hammerite :shock: That said it wasn't rusty :lol: Just fooooked The whole roof skin was cover in a film of tiger seal hand prints haha, but, it had the import bumper on it which was fitted to my grey hatch and supplied parts to put three cars back on the road 8)

The interior was completely stripped out of this very car and fitted into my early spec white hatch a few years ago, then I sold the early spec and transferred it into my grey hatch and now funnily enough straight back to where it belongs! A very strange feeling haha shows how small our little 4g family is!!

OMP wheel from Kev not sure why the horn ring is fitted like that but minor details to be sorted at a later date

The drivers side door installed

Now small hitch on the front end front. I have to honest here. I'm not particularly a fan of the VT front end. I think its a little too round I did the full conversion on my red DX years ago and sold it for that very reason.....But it is a VT

I have a VT front bumper and the ever scarce VT indicators but I cannot find a VT filler panel now I did contemplate a CRX front end but ermmm yeah no. So true to my style with the Dx im going to do a ghetto-tastic Frankenstein of some sort :lol:

So far i have pillaged the late spec lights from the grey hatch and I think ill fit the VT bumper since well I have it no point in it sitting on a shelf.

Also random one I got a supersprint manifold with the car along witha full stainless system. So thought id pop it on whilst its in bits

So thats it so far really. As it stands currently.

The full interior is done barring a passenger side seat belt buckle which I cant seem to find :roll:

The exterior all I really need is a Front filler panel

Engine wise now I have to say a HUGE shout out to Stu-VT !! As he painstakingly took loads of pictures of the vaccum and fuel hose set-up on his Vt for me making my job sticking it back together an absolute breeze thanks again dude!!

Engine basically needs a battery and the exhaust and shifter links hooking then should be good to go!!

Its a bit of a messy thread starter but I hope it makes sense so far! Should be some steady updates on this a I get it done. so a bit more content for our few remaining members :)
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
perfectionist
4GUK Donator

Re: Traitor to the SOHC

Post by perfectionist »

Did my EF9 power help get your A$$ in gear? Be honest :P
A person who wants everything to be perfect and demands the highest standards possible.

Friends call me Nas ;)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Hahaha maybe xP

Needs to gt built quick time need thats combination of speed, comfort and practicality 8)

....Think its more your old age rubbing off on me. Im not listening to radio 4 yet though :lol: :P
1990 Civic VT Daily
perfectionist
4GUK Donator

Post by perfectionist »

That reminds me, need to buy a radio band expander :oops:
A person who wants everything to be perfect and demands the highest standards possible.

Friends call me Nas ;)
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Long time no update: I managed to finish the car on the 1st of September just before JAE. and before i Moved down south lol just about under the wire.

Paint prep

First coat

A few more coats in

Had a complete nightare getting hold of VT front end parts. I eventually managed to source everything I needed, from a few different people. Plans were to use a non VT front end but sadly I couldnt get the front end from an early spec to line up at all the bonnet just wouldnt fit properly.

Slowly getting boxed back up

Bumpstrips and sill covers being painted and repainting the some parts again. I forgot about the spoiler completely lol

Stole my friends Buddy clubs for a mock up whilst doing his CV boot.

Hmmm ideas brewing as you can see I just left all the dents etc as this is only supposed to be my daily I didn't see the point in having the extra worry about leaving the car parked up. Worked out quite well as within two weeks some tosser scratched all my door :roll:

My very dirty Advan RG's mocked up against the car.

Also for anyone wondering this is the difference betwen a VT headlight and a GL one. VT front end with Gl light fitted

Dx garnish and early spec rear lights

In daily use at last with Advan properly cleaned up

A little carbon :wink:

How it looks now. Carbon Spoon style CRX mirrors and black Sprint hart Cp's with Nanakang Ns2-r tyres

Thats all for now but Ill try and get some more pics of how it currently stands with the sprint harts and the carbon mirrors or in other words Ill go and clean it as it hasnt been washed in weeks and looks too terrible to post :oops:
1990 Civic VT Daily
merce
4GUK Donator

Post by merce »

i like it Walsh, good work.

are you driving this daily?
sixteen16
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by sixteen16 »

Yes bro looking good man. Hows she driving? Gone over to the dark side I see B series lol. You enjoy it bro, what your plans with the car? How many you got now? Pls listen out for a clean 1616 bonnet for me. Respect bro
D16a9 called Vic

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stu-VT
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Post by Stu-VT »

That's some serious work. It's good to see another one saved.

Glad the pics helped mate.

Stu
Spoon_tuned
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Post by Spoon_tuned »

very nice mate i need some of the sprint harts again for my new GL :)
EF9 SiR Barcelona Green
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

merce wrote:i like it Walsh, good work.

are you driving this daily?
Yeah daily driver dude. I locked my grey GL away. Took this down to uni with me lol :drivegear:
sixteen16 wrote:Yes bro looking good man. Hows she driving? Gone over to the dark side I see B series lol. You enjoy it bro, what your plans with the car? How many you got now? Pls listen out for a clean 1616 bonnet for me. Respect bro
Thanks man, its pretty good no complaints drive is nice n smooth plus I can get 44mpg on the motorway if im steady 8)

Nothing really dude, being at uni means im brassic no spare cash to do anything else to it :cry:

Erm current count

VT
Grey GL
Purple shuttle
GF MK2 CRX

Another shuttle

Just a few :oops:

I got 1616 bonnet its not clean but you could have it I need it out the way lol
Stu-VT wrote:That's some serious work. It's good to see another one saved.

Glad the pics helped mate.

Stu
It was quite a bit but not too bad I've done worse :lol:

But never wears off that smug feeling you get when a car starts up after ages being sat 8)

Pictures were great man ! made it a doddle :top:
Spoon_tuned wrote:very nice mate i need some of the sprint harts again for my new GL :)
YES! Sprintharts are great man. They arent the lightest wheels out there but suit a 4g down to the ground......litterally :lol:
1990 Civic VT Daily
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Small update:

The VT despite being thrown together in a month has been faultless. Other than a flat tire and my alternator whining every now and then its got character :lol:

I have probably racked up more mileage than Nas did the last three years he owned it, I told you Id drive a lot :lol:

Anyway onto the update, I installed a whiteline rear ARB to it which I bought from Ernie (Pete) about 3 years ago :oops: Had t powder coated and also made up some bushes for it on the lathe at uni 8)

Old ARB removed,

Whiteline installed,

The Nylon bushes I made up,

I have also been gathering spare parts from my units to add to it. So waiting to be fitted I have poly bushed from LCA's and some HEL braided brake hoses,

Thats all for now. I havent cleaned the car since the last post I made :oops: so Ill get it washed and get some more pics up soon
1990 Civic VT Daily
Ernie
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by Ernie »

As if that only just got fitted to something...

Arches need a clean.. :p
perfectionist
4GUK Donator

Post by perfectionist »

8)

I'm sure front lca's were polly bushed anyway :?

Friends call me Nas ;)