4GUK

Honda Civic Forum - 4th Generation Civic Owners Club
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:58 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Hi guys, I am a member for quite some time now, but didn't have a build thread yet.
I recently bought my third sedan, this one is a 89' D16A7. It has double lens headlights, all the standard electrical stuff except the roof window.
I bought it for 150€ with a good engine, without the windshield.
It has some rust on the rear arches, and it was beaten up by hail.
The original owner was a woman (I have all of the receipts in Yen), the second owner was her daughter from whom I bought it.

The engine was immediately pulled and mounted in the 4WD Shuttle. The engine has 275k km (170k miles) and it doesn't drink any oil :wink:

The plans with the car are:
-B18C4 from the Civic Aerodeck VTI MC2 with hydro S9B gearbox with LSD (freshly painted)
-4-1 header, 60mm exhaust
-Skunk2 pro intake manifold
-Tucked and shaved engine bay (I will still use the power steering, relocated battery)
-Front: Big brakes (282mm) on VT hubs. Calipers are from the MC2 for starters, maybe I upgrate to ATR twin pots later
-Rear: Custom made caliper carrier to use 260mm disk and MC2 rear calipers.
-Suspension: MeisterR coilovers
-Wheels: Don't know yet, have some white Borbet A's, but maybe I sell those and get something else
-Full respray (not in the same color)
-Interior: Will leave this for later :)

Car needs to be done until April, we are traditionally going to Hungary for a Honda meet.

Car as it sits now:

Some of the engine bay:

Polished PS pump and the alternator (pics don't do them justice):

Some schematics and a test bracket for the custom clutch conversion:

Drivers side wire tuck:

Interior is teared up, the thing I am working on now is the engine harness (tucked wires obviously), then I need to make a OBD1 to OBD0 converter. I tend to do most of the work myself, not just buy pre-made stuff :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:07 am 
4GUK Donator

Nice project, good see some sedans getting some attention. Looking forward to the updates buddy

1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:52 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Looks awesome! Don't envy you with a wire tuck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:21 pm 
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Parts look great polished up im doing the same to my rocker cover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:45 am 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Thanks guys.
Yesterday a friend came and we welded the holes in the engine bay. I don't have any pics for it.
Now more filling and sanding...I am sick of it. But now there will be more progress in the bay, paint it later, put the engine in, finish the wire tuck...
So a friendly advice: If you want to do a shaved and tucked engine bay...don't shave it, unless you are patient as a saint or something :) It takes 3x more time as you expect it to.
Just clean the seam sealer and paint and it will still look fantastic. Wire tuck is a "piece of cake" to do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:57 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

OK, so I got some stuff done to the damn thing.
Engine bay and the T-bar are (finally) ready for primer; will be probably painted with it this weekend.

I also removed the holders for the power steering fluid tank, looks much cleaner now.

I got front and rear crossmembers from the powdercoaters, the finish is superb and it was cheap (30€ + 20€ for my friend who did the sandblasting and driving around).
I also installed new poly bushings for the traction rods.

I chopped the MC2 wiring loom to make an OBD0-OBD1 converter. I noticed O2 sensor and 3 sensors in the dizzy have shielded cable. I will do it like original, probably over the weekend also.

Now what I need to do now is:
-machine the gearbox mount plate (i have the hasport for the cable box)
-make the clutch conversion plate
-OBD0-OBD1 converter

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:57 am 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

More progress on the build...

First I put the engine inside, to test the alternator pulley to chassis clearance. It was OK, i ordered a shorter belt (775mm instead of 790mm)

The engine bay was prepped and evalex' magic hands painted the bay

Next day when I came back there was some orange peel in there, so I sanded (again) it with a 1000 grit and water, and the polished. The finish is good, I need to polish a few spots still.

Coworker made me a solidworks drawing of the baseplate for the gearbox mount, I will probably get it to the CNC guy this week.

I already started with assembly of the engine bay, to put the engine back as soon as possible, to try it to start.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:18 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

That colour :top:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:33 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Pops out even more in the sun, it's really an amazing colour :top:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:03 am 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

So, plenty of work was done in the past few weeks, I just don't have much pictures, because my phone took a S*!t.

The engine is in. It is a pretty tight fit with the alternator pulley and the crank pulley. I might just cut off the PS and AC part from the crank pulley.

I got new bolts for the intake and exhaust manifold, screwed them in with loctite.
I also made a PTFE teflon 3mm, laser cut, intake and throttle body gasket/spacer.

I got the wiring finished and the engine started first time. I was so relieved, because everything on the engine loom was fiddled with. The only ECU code I get is #41, which is O2 heater, but that's because I don't have it connected :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:25 am 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

I modified 89' cluster with the speedo from the MC2 aerodeck, I needed to cut out the baseplate for the speedo assembly to fit, then I needed to connect the power and ground and VSS signal. VSS cable has a quick connect from the side markers, so I can easily take it out. The face of the 89' speedo fits with minor modifications, looks stock and it is electronic. I also needed to put the pin for the needle to rest on it, as the 89' face doesn't have it.

Pretty happy with the result :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:29 am 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

More work done to the car, don't have all the pics though.

We made a gearbox mount, as I got a wrong one (for cable box) from aluminum, made with a CNC. I was pretty nervous if it will fit, because the measurements were done without a second mount. It bolted nearly perfectly, so all good. Engine and box finally on it's own in the bay.

Also, a friend welded the bracket for clutch cylinder. I needed to cut it down quite a bit, because no space under the freakin dash :evil:

Double lens headlights are in good condition, but look like crap so decided to pull them out again and paint them with fake plastidip.

Slowly coming together :P

Few more things done:
-shortened the shift linkage, while we were at it we made a short-shifter (lenghtened for 3cm).
-painted the front bumper matte black
-took the windshield out from my old sedan (in one piece :) )
-mounted a new radiator, I will run two fans (one OEM and a second slim fan I have laying around)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:49 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

good work and love the bay colour, you have a access to a cnc machine....want to be my best friend? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 am 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

I don't really have access to it, I payed 50€ for it, which is cheap for the amount of work done. I have a friend that has it at home, but it still ain't cheap. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:56 am 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

More work done on the interior. The least friendly work needed to be done, I hate it so much, decided I don't want it to be the last job I do on the car :)

Royal mess

Tidied the passenger side somehow. Loads of cables and connectors, because of the wire tuck everything is under there now

Almost finished