4GUK

Honda Civic Forum - 4th Generation Civic Owners Club
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:42 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Any before/after pictures on the engine bay cleanup? Good work done here :top:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:54 pm 
4GUK Donator

Nice to see more progress buddy, its coming along nicely!

I dont suppose you could do me a favour?

I have a VT bare shell basically that im rebuilding. Very slowly hence my not putting a thread up yet.

I just need some pics of the vac line set-up on the bulk and the charcoal canister for the fuel set-up. I'm clued on with any D series bits but B-series is pretty alien :lol: I have all the wiring back together just the vac line routing i'm a little unsure on :oops:

1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:06 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Slow updates, but life has taken over a little with the work on the house, the wife writing off her Hyundai Coupe (yay. Enjoyed scrapping that POS!)
Buying her a one owner Civic MB4 was cool. 1 owner, 70k on clock and FHSH, not a spot of rust anywhere.
Just hope she doesn't wreck this one....

Anyway I digress.

I've been scouring the web and scored a few gems. Apologies for the photos, using Facebook and its shite.

1st off, I scored some brand new, unopened VT Track rod ends for an extremely good price from a nice man in Germany.

Mine are currently ok, although with 186k on the clock its only a matter of time. I'm wondering when I take my originals off can new balljoints from a 16v set be pressed in so I have a refurbished set in stock?

Next, as mentioned earlier, I had a chemical burn/reaction on one of my indicators when removing the orange glass paint with white spirit and nail varnish remover.
I bought a pair for rather a lot of money from Malaysia (cheaper than the US though).
I then found a single drivers side on ebay in Thailand, so bought that. I now have another pair, ones slightly damaged so I may wrap these in amber film so I can swap and change as I feel like it.

Next I found a US spec Civic Si rear spoiler with high level brake light in Florida on ebay. Cheap and the seller was really helpful and has an amazing EF Si himself. When it arrived the lense had a slight crack in it from shipping but we are still in touch so he'll be looking for a replacement for me when he finds one cheap.

Lastly is the best part, due to a long service award at work I purchased some Meister R coilovers. They were out of stock so had to wait a month but so worth it.
I found my old review of them on civic life that had all my settings referenced on there, so last night I copper greased them and set the height and damping to how they were on my original set.
Plan is to install one a night after work while my Wife is getting my son to sleep as that's the only free time I have a few weeks.

That's all for now, I'm looking for a charge speed rep lip in polyurethane but may have to buy a EC or shuttle one and modify it, and Recaro's will have to be next year, but its getting there. Next hot day we have I'll refurb the rocker cover wrinkle black.

Cheers,
Stu

Last edited by Stu-VT on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:08 pm 
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Nice upgrades, car still looks great.

EE9 - 160HP B16A1 >> 196HP B16B >> 243HP B20 >> 250HP?? B20>>

260Z Hardcore Project Car

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:58 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Quick update, I've been collecting parts and doing things in between other projects and family stuff.

Firstly I've split all 4 Mugens now and re-polished the rims and cut back and polished the paint.
Enjoyable job, but quite laborious when it comes to polishing 29 bolts by hand, per wheel....
There is a little paint damage, but considering it was a daily driver for 3 years the quality of the initial restoration is obvious.

Next, I prepared it for the 6two1 meet in Colchester back in September. I decided that one of the things that always bothered me was the exhaust silencer being polished and the inlet and outlet pipes being in raw finish. So I spent an afternoon in my pit polishing the pipes with meguires all metal polish, a drill and a cheap polishing head from Halfords.

BEFORE

AFTER

I've also refitted the stock airbox and removes the resonators so its taking cold air in from behind the headlight and via the inner wing.

Whilst doing this I noticed the Tegiwa radiator was weeping. It looks like the metal cooling fan shroud has rubbed through one of the capillaries.
Its lasted well, 5+ years, but it never fitted nicely and I always thought was overkill for a standard engine.
So much research and I scored myself a Nissen original brand new radiator on Amazon of all places. Shipped from germany.
For reference, Honda EE9 EE8 VT radiator - Nissen Part number 63301.
I love how the label on the side has yellowed with age.

Lovely and new -

Currently I have the rear bumper off to replace the metal support that was rotten, I've got that and all new screws etc on order from Lings Honda so will update when that's done.

Cheers,
Stu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:26 pm 
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Good to see its still being well looked after.

Exhaust looks much better.

EE9 - 160HP B16A1 >> 196HP B16B >> 243HP B20 >> 250HP?? B20>>

260Z Hardcore Project Car

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:37 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Yesterday I received a package from Lings Honda. The rear bumper support and associated screws arrived. So I set about swapping them over.
There's something satisfying about removing something rotten and using a perfectly fitting manufacturers replacement.

The old one looked like a relic from the titanic! No surprise it was sitting on the wonk and rattled! Mounting points had rotted through or were close to.

Shiney new one, and new screws. Excuse the state of the bumper. Once its repaired it will get a good clean and 3 stage polish/wax.

And a quick one of the front bumper with the Charge speed rep poly lip. I contemplated going for a genuine one from various manufacturers but considering the speedbumps near me, the high kerb opposite my garage and the fact that my 1st J's rep from JDMSh*t in the states many years ago fell off and rubbed along the M1 necessitation a replacement... I decided a poly rep was more suited.
Not as good a fit as my others, but a sharp knife and a little heat did the job nicely.
I know its not a look that every one likes, but I love the way it bulks up the front end. With the skinny OEM lip on it was visually weak.

Next is to re-drill and attach the nearside rear bumper hanger. The replacement arch all those years ago didnt have the holes in it so I used a zip tie.
Dill on here sent me a bumper mount last year so that's an easy job.

Not so easy is the small bubble of rust on the offside arch. Do I cut out and weld in a piece now while the bumpers off, or revisit when the weathers better. My gut feeling is to revisit in spring when I can weld, fill and paint without the risk of a damp environment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:32 pm 
Lvl3 Street Racer
Lvl3 Street Racer

Nice to see your still cracking on with this Stu!
I bought a replacement rear bumper support a few years back, not cheap but so worth it. I caked mine in a few layers of hammerite hoping to make it last as long as possible.
I'm loving the polishing, I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to it. Getting ready to start on my daily again when the weather is a little better, putting all my valver stuff from my old civic into my current gl. Everything has had the ocd treatment, paint, powder coat, renew or polish! I hope I haven't gone too far in the engine bay... polished alternator, dizzy, pas pump, front of the head, intake manifold and gearbox. I'll have to get a build thread up.
I would leave the rust until the weather is better and do it all properly, do it once do it right is my philosophy.
If you need any other odds n ends give me a shout mate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:09 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Definitely dona build thread dill! Sounds right up my street!

Plus it adds fresh content to the forum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:41 pm 
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Very nice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:30 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

This image captions everything about rebuilding a wheel. Fun times indeed. :lol:
Stu-VT wrote:

Gotta love the attention to detail and a full restore that these cars deserve. Keep it going man! :top:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:35 pm 
4GUK Donator

Very nice work Stu you are a man of great patience!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:49 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

This week has been engine week. The Cam seal had always weeped a bit but the weep had turned into a torrent. The front of the engine block was about 5mm thick with oil in places.

With the radiator removed, I taped a bin bag around the exhaust manifold and armed with a pump spray, some old discoloured paint thinners and a tooth brush I attacked the block.
Horrible but satisfying. Although some of that satisfaction may have been due to the fumes in the garage.
2 litres of thinners later and it was almost done. Just a few fiddly bits to attack.
On a slightly seperate note, I realised that Paint Thinners has the same effect as old Mary Jane...
I realised this when I noticed my wife laughing at me from the kitchen window.
I had a tea in my hand but was just staring at the water butt next to the garage. I also felt the need to say 'hmmmmm' alot to myself.....
I may vent the garage better next time. Although in my defense I had the windows open, the door open and it was blowing a gale.

Anyway, a before and after. If anyone can tell me how to stop little white spots appearing on the alloy block it would be appreciated.

Next, was off with the valve cover (to be changed for one from my parts stash :D :twisted: )

Lovely 187,000 mile cams etc, with no wear and all looking clean and golden.

The possibly original VTEC solonoid gasket and filter. pretty clean, although it wasnt rubbery. It was more like brittle plastic.

Skunk2 Cam seal. I like the over the top packaging, owners pack etc!

Brand new solonoid gasket from H-Tune, as was the cam seal. VTEC solonoid cleaned internally and externally.

I've been collecting some bits and pieces over the winter, some new some 2nd hand, and I cannot wait to fit them. Nothing amazing, more to give the car a little refresh and make it feel like mine again, but bits that I have liked over the years. Especially the Spoon steering wheel. The newer ones just don't look the same with the blue and yellow/green colouring on the horn push.
The valve cover was sold as 'with original packaging' which is always nice. However, when it arrived the box was 'very' secondhand. Which I think is a shame.
I'm calling it a day with the named stuff. Even second hand the prices are stupid, and you need to be quick or lucky or both. At the end of the day its just a Honda Civic. :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:55 pm 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

love your attention to detail, keep up the good work pal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:02 pm 
4GUK Donator

Some very nice parts on show here keep it up buddy will be a stunning example when its done!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next