POB... Will it ever be finished?

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Nail
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Re: POB... Will it ever be finished?

Post by Nail »

oh yeah the gearbox casing got a fracture in it around the drain bung, we must have just done it up too tight at some point or maybe its just been on and off too many times! thats been swapped for the outer half case off a cruncy box I got of matt parker? (from redittch hes actually running my old b16 in his white GL) & it was whining badly with the red atf in it anyway so I had swapped that out after about 10 miles tbh , been running mtf94 since and it doesn't drip anymore.
moved the rad fan over to the left as it was too close to a primary now and starting to melt it also, It's still not working atm my bodged up fanswitch sender doesnt work, so hopefully traffic wont be too bad on friday im taking to falmouth , might wire a tempory switch on to the dash tommorrow just in case it gets hot.
Nail
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Nail »

ok time for an update the car had done about 4000 miles when i went falmouth , the clutch totally dissintigrated so its true what they all say about those XTD clutches.. caused me a load of hassle tbh.

Now have gone back to the helix fastroad /the organic one they sell I had one before and its epic. another 400 quid tho by the time it was fitted and 3rd syncro seems to have started having a little crunch again , its ok just grinds a little if your driving hard. I think i did it whilst trying to get used to the new helix as its very stiff compared and the bite is pretty sharp tbh..

Also the exhaust has been modified again! Its now pretty quite well its well under for track regs put it that way. I fitted a big 2ft long box in the middle moved the 12" box forwards etc so now where ever i could fit a box in it has the biggest boxes it can. and tbh it sounds great , I ran it onthe rollers and got identical power although im now nearly 5 bhp down after i smacked the manifold on the floor and put 2 small dinks in it , Cant believe it actually makes that much difference! so still at about 218 fly & 190WHP

The next job was tow hooks I've got some plates made up to weld on to the traction bar & do the front engine mount. as i think one of the skunk2 front camber top arms is tapping the turret everso slightly. pretty sure the engines moving a little on that side when coming on /off power. front engine mount should sort that it wont move at all then im sure.

The cars now done about 6000 miles since rebuild i think,
Engines running great still, tho its a hard ride on uk roads and its too fast for the road tbh too there are lots of nice wide major country roads out by me and I cant really go nuts on them end up doing silly speeds when just overtaking a couple of cars. I've got a new obd2 dizzy and harness adapter for it but havent fitted that yet, old dizzy is actually being ok and its not really missfired on me for ages. missus has been taking this to work for a few weeks and its been fine.

Still getting wafts of smoke after Ive had my foot down then let off and just touch the throttle to drive normally again. so weird. but I'm convinced its something to do with the head maybe stem seals as it doesnt really smoke when its being reved through. still haven't re done the cam seal or the rocker gasket after they initialy leaked. I am going to have a look at those. so its hard to judge oil consumption but its generally not that bad anyway.
Last edited by Nail on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
big_joe1
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by big_joe1 »

My b16b smokes exactly like that. Prime example when I've been in vtec, come off the throttle then press the throttle again (like when heel toeing) it puffs grey smoke. My oil consumption isn't excessive, I thought it might be something to do with the map as it smells a bit rich in VTEC. I don't let it bother me anyway :)
Nail
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Nail »

hmm at least its not just me then, no body else Ive spoken too had ever experienced it before, I would've like to get to the bottom of it but I've not got time and gonna just sell up now.
I'll deffo have to look at the cam & rocker seal tho its doing my head in!
evalex
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Post by evalex »

I've had my D15B2 / D16Z6 mini-me consume oil in vtec only.. God knows what the issue was. I never let it bother me too much tho :lol:
Really good work put into this, looking forward to updates :top: