Project: Beater (Gizmo's OTHER 4WD Shuttle!)

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project: "Do you Even Lift?"

Post by Gizmo »

So my neglect to get the rear arches painted has resulted in surface rust seeping through the primer. so rubbed all back down to metal and few coats of primer and few coats of gloss black - should see it right until i get it sorted.

1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Supercharged, VTEC Swapped Track Toy.
1988 RT4WD Shuttle - Lifted Daily Beater.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Update time!

Picked up a Beagle Bar, thanks to Craig for keeping it for me :drivegear:

101 uses for Wagons. Moving House...

MOT was FAST approaching. It needed a CV Boot, but both CV's were clicking. so 2 birds 1 stone and all that. Finding CV's turned out to be a nightmare...

It appears non in the catalogue listed for either GL or 16i Fit. In the end some Rover Varients fitted a treat. But odd splines on both sides. Odd! (23 vs 32 splines)

and one inner CV was odd. Ball and cage style instead of the typical tripod and needle bearings.

Old vs New. New Outer CV's, rebuilt and greased inners. New boots all round.

also picked up some siR suspension from Waters :top:

Then, it came to MOT Time! and it FAILED!!! Hose burst on the rollers. and the trailing arm bush had "Fallen Out". Literally...

So the beater now has new RH Rear RTA Bush (ADL Blueprint) and the Goodridge lines off Wagon Attack (As i couldn't get pattern in time because of Bank Holiday)
(No pictures, but i did film it!)

Shattered.
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Episode 16!

https://youtu.be/UDNoGXTtKf8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

So, Beater update...

Finally got round to fitting the Beagle Bar..

Nothing else to say! Beater been doing me good! Enjoys a good Beating every other day on the way home from work. Its desperatly needs new brake discs and is due a service soon.

its also developed an idling issue when hot that i need to sort. It will sit at 1500rpm (When warm - Even after a good 20 mile trip) for about 30 seconds, then calm down back to normal idle speeds. so need to look into this soon.

Dont forget! the Beater stars in the "Wagon Diaries" Vlog that i do every other week, So catch the VLOG Progress of beater on my youtube page! ---->https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PoJGFWhinD
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project: Beater (Gizmo's OTHER 4WD Shuttle!)

Post by Gizmo »

So, beater needed some love.

LAST weekend i decided it was finally time to do the clutch as it was bank holiday. I had a used clutch from Wagon Attack that had seen pretty low miles (Few thousand maybe) so i decided to not used a new clutch and use what good stuff i had lying around.

So, last weekend...

So, all back together...and the clutch was even WORSE than before!! it slipped way to quickly no matter what gear - feck! Let me just say, 4WD Gearboxes, aint light...Standard 2WD L3 Boxes are not light either, but atleast you can pick them up! a 4WD Box is a good 3-4 times heavier. I struggled for nearly 2 hours getting the box back in as i could not get any help. so i threw my spanners in the garage and called it a night.

Cue this weekend. Clutch needed sorting. Sourced an old stock Exedy BNIB clutch from my good friend Chapman (Cheers Chapman!) and compiled a list of what needed doing to the wagon overall... See list below...

Fix Oil leak from Sump
Fix Oil Leak from rear crank seal
Fix Power steering leak
Fix Sticky Throttle Pedal
Fix Front Engine Mount
And a few other Misc Bits...

I decided to remove the whole engine this time round, as once again, i couldnt get any help (apart from Chapman and co, But a 3hr drive is a bit excessive...)

Upon lifting the engine out, it snagged on something...but i kept lifting in hoping it would free itself - NOPE! bent and split a brake pipe. feck! atleast it was the shortest of the lot though!

Fixing the PAS Leak. the PAS Cooler that goes in front of the rad had gone Rusty, causing PSF to slowly leak oout. under speed this was flying into the radiator. So i fixed the leak to begin with by completely bypassing the cooler and hard lines (This is the UK, we dont need to "Cool" the PSF Fluid...) So i bypassed it as pictured below, then spent about 30 minutes cleaning all the congealed PSF/ Dirt mixture that has covered the lower half of the rad and front of the engine and gearbox.

New brake line...

Engine and box back in...

And thats that! Installation went ok (Apart from the bit where the engine strap snapped - TWICE! lodging the engine between the subframes - TWICE!), smashed the TPS upon installation. new TPS, cleaned the Throttle body whilst it was off

Completion list?

Fitted new Sump Gasket
Fitted New Rear Crank Seal
Fitted New Exedy Clutch
Fixed PSF Leak
Fitted New poly Bushed front engine mount
Fixed Sticky throttle body Butterfly
Fitted new TPS
New Oil Filter
New Oil
Replaced gearbox fluid
Flushed Coolant System
Flushed PSF Fluid

Beater lives to fight more thousands of miles!
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Maintenance on the Beater today...

New Discs and pads, poorly listed items, total cost of £30 delivered! QH Parts aswell.

Whilst the wheels were off, finally decided to fit the SiR Suspension ive had lying around for months that Walters gave me. Came off an Genuine EF9 SiR with uber low miles!

Brakes feel good, Handles better aswell, Less Boaty...
Gizmo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Gizmo »

Another update on the daily.

I broke it....

After thinking the front Diff had shat itself, turned out to be a drive shaft spinning inside the CV. I should really stop doing heads up drag racing...

Damaged vs Good shaft...

Race car got shoved out the garage for the week whilst i waited on parts.

Replaced the ARB Bushes whilst i was at it.

Shafts rebuilt ready to go in.

And shes back on the road...