4GUK

Honda Civic Forum - 4th Generation Civic Owners Club
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Autotwatic GL
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:34 pm 
4GUK Donator

Welcome back the bug of 4g's Cal :wink:

Auto is looking great only problem is your missus now has a better car than you :P

Look forward to seeing the new one, same as always show up at Halfrauds extended 4g based lunch 8)

1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)

Post subject: Re: Autotwatic GL
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:59 pm 
4GUK Donator

So some time ago i bought this from Callum.

Seriously you know the saying;

"Admitting you have a problem is the first step to overcoming it......."

Ive said that loads! I still just end up with more and more cars !! :oops:

Anyway i bought the car in the state is was above. Needless to say the giant geisha girl was painstakingly removed from the rear quarter along with a few other stickers really not a fan of stickers.

The next stage was to get it on a ramp and inspect the underneath for any corrosion and just as Callum said this thing is truly IMMACULATE. Far cleaner than any other 4g i've owned. I then went as always a tad OTT....

I decided rather than just clean it and under seal it. Id strip back all the dirt from underneath and road grime back to the original stone chip to then underseal the full thing. Possibly the dirtiest job ive ever undertaken white spirit and under seal EVERYWHERE took me a few nights after work to get it how i wanted. But well worth it in the end to know its clean and well protected !

O/S/R sill

N/S/R sill

Random side short, looks like flat paint just condensation

Front of the N/S sill

N/S rear sill slight discolouration

O/S/R

The cleaning process !

I owned it for around 4 months then some lovely lorry decided to swipe the side of it whilst parked on my street :roll: Dented all the front wing. So that was it i decided to re-do the rear quarter that was damaged and also grabbed a new front wing from my spares unit.

I didnt get any pics of the dented wing i was in such a bad mood i just ripped it off :oops: :lol:

Rather than post the 30 or so pics i have of the work being done i've just picked a few at random throughout the process.

A fair amount of filler :lol:

All ground back to bare metal

Front wing removed

The painter pulling out the dents 8)

First thin layer of fibreglass to help prevent any ingress of water, and add strength

Sanded back

General body filler started to be applied turned out the door was slightly dented so that got some adjustment and filling too

Taking shape

Primer applied

Annoyingly i cant find an image of it painted and finished but i went on holiday before it was finished. Ill get a pic of that side next time i'm at the unit as currently its locked away in the garage for winter.

Also stripped out all the interior and undersealed everything inside SUPER CLEAN

Also done as using the spot weld gun to pull out dents takes off the paint last thing i wanted after having the full lot done again was for it to rot fromthe inside out ! so was all primed painted and sealed.

Then after all the boring bits were out the way ! Onto the more interesting parts !

I have this uncontrollable hatred of Auto's especially when mated to D14's its just awful ! So I set about converting it to manual ! Just in time for the Dyno meet in March 2014 :OD

Also at the same time im not a fan of late spec bumpers so that had to change ASAP so i swapped on a Bumper and a poly lip SO MUCH BETTER

Bit of a pain converting a LAte to an early other way round is a piece of cake. But i had to chop out the end of the chassis rails and add some captive nuts to the plate in order to mount the bumper. As early spec bumpers dont use the little spacer brackets that late spec use.

I also decided to fit a Carbon bonnet i had lying around to it. 16v Carbon bonnet with the bulge ! 8) Had seen better days and did re-lacquering at the time but eventually i got around to that :oops: :lol:

Remember what i said about that problem........Neighbours do not like me :OD

Oh and i had a red Dx in the garage at the same as this pic so 4 in total :oops: :oops:

Make that 5 i Also had my old early spec in the other unit too going by these pics the day before it went :(

The early spec was my last project and alot of the parts for the Grey car came off that before it was sold.

The Grey hatch by this time had.

Chassis

Meister Zeta R coilovers with pillow ball top mounts
Fully poly bushed
14" Sprint hart alloy wheels
185/60/R14 Falken Ze914 tyres
Blue print front pads
Blue print brake shoes
M&M Honda rear upper strut brace
M&M Honda C pillar brace (or the microfibre towel drying rack at JAE :lol:)

Engine

D14A1
Manual conversion
DIY Pipercross custom filter
Carb tweaks here and there
One resonator box removed and rear silencer removed (TOO LOUD dont do it :oops: )

Interior

Full interior from a VT seats dash the full Mccoy !
Genuine 5 panel WINK mirror
Honda option Rubber dash mat
Honda option Rubber floor mats
Skunk2 short shifter
Skunk2 weighted gearknob
Leather shifter boot with red stitching
Nardi Steering wheel
Momo Boss IIRC

How it looked at JAE 2014, I met bigworm the original owner there. He actually asked if id changed the reg on it didnt believe it was his old car :lol:

Few additions to the spec by this time and the current spec reads;

Meister Zeta R coilovers with pillow ball top mounts
Fully poly bushed
25mm H&R Hub centric wheel spacers on the front
15" Sprint hart alloys blasted and powder coated gloss black
195/50/R15 Toyo T1R tyres
Integra Nissin 282 Calipers and carriers
VT/SIR front Hubs
Genuine Honda VT/SIR TRE's non of that Cut TRE non-sense
Blue print 282 discs
Blue print front pads
Blue print brake shoes
Cusco rear upper strut brace
Cusco front upper strut brace
M&M Honda C pillar brace (or the microfibre towel drying rack at JAE :lol:)

Engine

D14A1
Manual conversion
DIY Pipercross custom filter
Carb tweaks here and there
One resonator box removed and Cherry bomb silencer fitted always liked the look of these 8)

Interior

Full interior from a VT seats dash the full Mccoy !
Honda option Rubber dash mat
Honda option Rubber floor mats
Skunk2 short shifter
Skunk2 weighted gearknob
Leather shifter boot with red stitching
Nardi Steering wheel
Momo Boss IIRC

Few more images

Pic of the spacers fitted with the 232mm Stock brakes

15" sprints with spacers

15" sprints with the stock 232 brake set-up can hardly even see them !

Annnnnnd with the 282 set-up :OD

Caliper comparison

And tracking after the Hub and caliper swap etc

Quite a bit of negative camber going on there :lol:

Thats about it for now !

Comments/ criticism all welcome :OD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:58 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

Lovely car. Great colour too.

I sold callum the wifes old white gl. Nice chap.
He's sold that on now as the wife wanted it back recently as her 03 plate hyundai coupe isnt ad reliable as her old gl.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:13 am 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

haha, first time I recall being called a nice chap, although I thank you for the compliment.

I am still here. Lurking in the shadows, and as Ethan well knows, I can't seem to shift the 4g bug. I've had a fair few now, all which seem to be got rid of with the best intention before I then end up going full circle and coming back.

The white one went to a lad down South Stu, Colchester if I am recalling correctly. Seemed a good lad, and I did tell him about the forum, but don't recall seeing it grace the pages?

Are you going to get your missus another one now then?

Also Eth, you know I think this one looks sheez hot now!! And it handles like a beaut.

But I ain't got nothing but time!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:43 pm 
4GUK Donator

Haha cheers Stu, it took me a while to like the colour im normally only a fan of white hatches. So the grey was quite a large change. I still miss the early spec i sold to Asif now. But after fitted the early spec bumper and carbon bonnet to this it became a totally new car to me I really like the colour now as even carbon isnt too in your face with the pewter grey body work 8)

Ohhh Callum is FAR FROM A NICE CHAP ! Its all his fault i have so many 4g's he got me into them :lol: :lol:

Ive known him years, we both have a serious 4g bug. Both have been known to own 4 at the same time etc we make 4g's look like common cars in hull as we own so many :lol:

Stu if you're after a car for your missus drop me a pm !! I have a couple of 4g's around at the minute and i could really do to sell one at least :lol:

Yeah its getting there now Cal i need to Pluck up the courage to buy a carbon boot lid and spoiler though :shock: Then and only thgen will i be happy with the looks 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:55 am 
4GUK Donator

So a little more progress on the hatch

I got fed up of the lip turning blue when any traffic film remover etc was applied so i sprayed the lip satin black.

I acquired a JDM rear bumper recently and better yet its an early spec variant so goes with the fornt bumper 8) they're slightly shorter than late spec, sad i know but devils in the detail right :wink:

Uk bumper off and plate holder. Then all cleaned.

Shultz the rear panel for a litle more protection

Fitted the import rear bumper on. Had to make a bumper bar for it as the late spec one from the car wouldnt fit it. Pretty pleased with resukts though sits pretty much bang on 8)

I relocated my fog light into the righhandside reverse light no need for a horrible fog light hangingoff it that way.

I also changed the exhaust system recently after buying another GL. Its now got a full stainless system which is amazingly quiet and flows far better.

I also recently changed the coilovers on the car. It had the original Meister ZETA R with pillow ball top mounts and 12kg front and 9kg rear springs. I was very impressed with them overall but wanted something a little softer as they are too harsh for country lanes really.

So i have changed to the Meister R ZETA S.

After a "Spirited test run" I can safely say the new Zeta S are far better suited to a fast road car set-up. :drivegear: Have kept the old set-up for another project though :wink:

Some more parts i have acquired over the last few months just need to find the time to fit them!

Stole a friends TE37's for a test fit, mis-matched look i quite like however white is kind of a nono :lol:

Thats all for now ill update as I have more progress. I have a track day booked on the 28th of May, so I shall try and get some pics from the day!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY! TRACK DAY!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:46 pm 
4GUK Donator

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SLOWEST TRACK DAY EVER!!!

Atleast Madge had the cam in :lol:

It has perked up a bit since swapping the exhaust, also new dizzy cap rotor and leads. Fuel filter old and plugs this week then tire's, oh and tracking as i'm sure there's too much toe out at the rear :|

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:17 pm 
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster
Lvl4 Nos Enhanced Poster

looking good Eth,the white wheels suit it man, breaks it up abit!!
im gonna be painting and restoring underneath my mk2 soon, I noticed you've done some restoring underneath of this, whats the best way to clean it up and remove any crap? I was thinking loads of wire brushing,wire wheel, etc etc or is there anything out there I can buy that strips S*!t off?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30233

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:05 pm 
4GUK Donator

Cheers man :)

Aye done loads of it to various cars dude.. depends how far you wanna go :OD

On the grey hatch to remove all the grime and dirt i used white spirit and rags soaked the rag in white spirit then rubbed until it was the original underseal. Its hard work but worth it if youre keeping the car.

For heavy built up dirt as you say a wire wheel is good just need to avoid stripping the underseal and seam sealer off is all.

Also for harder to do areas you can use spray stone chip cans, coating the inside of the sill and door panels etc Dynax S-50 iirc is very good. Comes witha tube so you can pop the grommets and fill sills etc with underseal.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:11 am 
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Traction bar looks interesting Ethan. Got a link?

http://4guk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21115 - Build thread

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:18 am 
4GUK Donator

Ahh this is the GL you keep going on about :D
Must admit, i like it and it is a clean solid shell.

Some nice new bits going on her too :wink:

Friends call me Nas ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:24 pm 

Me likes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:17 pm 
4GUK Donator

Nothing major but the early spec change over continues. Single to twin bulb conversion 8)

From late spec

To early spec goodness, n a terrible picture -_-

Also new additions Nangkang Ns2-R track tyres these are amazingly good for the money recomend them to anyone looking to do a few track days these out performed my Kuhmo ecsta track tyres and at just over a third of the price!!

Also installed a D16A6 camshaft I bought from lee a while back along with a nice n cheapo ebay cam pulley lol All the risk. But its survived the track day abuse so far so cant knock it really

Lastly just been cleaning up my old Meister ZetaR coilovers. been sat in the gaarge since i swapped to the new softer version. Thought id clean them up and install back on this or the VT 8) :drivegear: