4GUK

Honda Civic Forum - 4th Generation Civic Owners Club
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:08 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:28 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Thanks guys glad you like it :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

What an inspiring build. Just read from start to finish.

Great work, keep it up!

91' ED7 project HERE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jZdVqSH ... RQ&index=9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:59 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

thanks =]

rear coilovers on - need to adjust height once wheels are refurbed and on.

HONDA FRIENDS =]

played with my sidelight units

went to fit new timing belt but didnt want to fit old tensioner so I've ordered a new one its coming on tuesday, also going to buy a brand new distributor (or second hand if price is good enough)

trial fit of fuel pump, trying to work out where to get my ignition live from and where to run wires, any suggestions?

going to fabricate a bracket for the other bolt hole.

hopefully more progress soon!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 am 
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

very nice mate lookin good not long got my d14a1 ef hatch doin the same minime conversion cant wait
keep it up :drivegear:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:52 pm 
4GUK Donator

Fuel pump wise you can mount the pump onto the tank just sit it on top of the lip where the old fuel filter bracket used to be located (just run a universal inline filter instead) and bolt it on through one of the holes, thats how i did my Z6, reduces chance of catching it or it dropping off etc as sat on top of the tank....(im paranoid about such things happening lol)

The wires run them through the gromet with the fuel lines just jab through it with a screw driver pouch your wires through. Earth wires bolts to the fuel filler pipe shield under the rear bench, live feed just take from the spare ignition live on the fuse box (x3spade connector on the fuse box you'll have to test each to find ign live i cant remember) Oh also run a switch in line with the liveworks as a anti theft device also stops you burning out the pump if you park up with ign on.

Great work so far dude keep it up :top:

1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:08 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

hondamad22 wrote:
very nice mate lookin good not long got my d14a1 ef hatch doin the same minime conversion cant wait
keep it up :drivegear:

Cheers mate :) if you got any questions about conversion just pm me I will see if I can help although I'm still doing mine its not running yet lol, just no time ATM!

walsh123 wrote:
Fuel pump wise you can mount the pump onto the tank just sit it on top of the lip where the old fuel filter bracket used to be located (just run a universal inline filter instead) and bolt it on through one of the holes, thats how i did my Z6, reduces chance of catching it or it dropping off etc as sat on top of the tank....(im paranoid about such things happening lol)

The wires run them through the gromet with the fuel lines just jab through it with a screw driver pouch your wires through. Earth wires bolts to the fuel filler pipe shield under the rear bench, live feed just take from the spare ignition live on the fuse box (x3spade connector on the fuse box you'll have to test each to find ign live i cant remember) Oh also run a switch in line with the liveworks as a anti theft device also stops you burning out the pump if you park up with ign on.

Great work so far dude keep it up :top:

Thank you very much very useful info, I was thinking about maybe running the pump in the spare wheel well if at all possible I haven't seen where the fuel lines run yet though inside car

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:06 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Had some time to work on her this weekend! heres my update. Also, thank you Walsh123 for your info! proved to be very helpful indeed.

First i stripped out rear of car. Happy to report no rust at all, just dirty!

Next was to make a mounting bracket for the other side of my fuel pump, the one side being secured to the fuel tank.

connected the fuel lines & fed wires through grommet, also connected these up.

Earthed pump to chassis

Ran feed wire under carpet, under centre console, behind dash up to a blank switch plate next to choke.

My fuel pump switch, next to switch blank. Notice I had to cut the switch blank and file flat so that I could seat the switch right.

My live feed from fuse box

all wired up

mmmm looks good I think :D

Now all thats left to do is find out where a few vacuum pipes go (it was so long ago that I took it all apart I cant remember)

If anybody could show me pictures or describe to me carefully I would very much appreciate it! I looked back on the pictures I took but cant quite make out exactly where these go heres some pictures..

This is attached to inlet manifold on left hand side

These three pipes

The two on the vacuum advance on distributor

Also this T-shape valve

after these vacuum hoses are connected I can time the distributor, fit my fuel pressure regulator and start her up!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:33 pm 
4GUK Donator

Good work dude, like the switch although id move it somewhere a tad more discreet... works as anti theft then aswell :wink:

pipe heading toward the bulkhead is for the air box and diagphram to control warm air intake from exhaust manifold, thats where the valve you have is from also. Just block it off if you arent running standard intake.
the vac pipe pointing down has a 1 way valve (orange) in it going to the inlet manifold blue thing in your pic.

Other port on the blue thing goes to your dizzy and the last solid pipe goes to dizzy aswell iirc
Cant remember which way around orignal are labelled 5 and 2 5 going to the blue bit and 2 to the solid pipe could be wrong though been a while. Just whack em on n see it'll b'reet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Thanks again for the info! I could kiss you!
this means it will hopefully be running before this weekend :)

As for the switch I suppose hiding it would have served an extra purpose... Maybe I will put a "horn" sticker under it :p
That will really baffle a car thief aha!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:52 am 
4GUK Donator

:lol: No worries dude, ill avoid you at JAE then if your going :lol: :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:27 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

So the big moment came today...

Will it start?

That moment where all of the little bits over the past few months is tested...you question yourself whether you did this... tightened that... etc

Didnt start first time...bit of easy start, started then cut straight out...
kept fiddling with throttle and choke, also fuel pump switch...

finally she ran on her own!!!!!

albeit for a few seconds at a time but at least I know its just niggly bits now, like fitting my regulator and playing with the ignition timing, also need to have another play with the wiring on the fuel pump switch as im not quite happy, also doesn't help that shes got an empty tank! but big smiles today :D

heres a video...nothing special

http://s623.photobucket.com/user/gjukon ... 5.mp4.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:00 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Think I found the main reason she isn't running well today.

Started her up on the key today on choke and it fired up OK but it was missing badly, my initial thought the other day was the ignition timing but after running it for a minute or so I observed the carbs and could see the one carb on the left stationary but the carb on the right was bouncing from misfire.

I then touched the header on cylinder 4 (furthest left) and it was hot, then touched cylinder 3 and it was also hot, touched cylinder 2 and was considerably colder then cylinder 1 (furthest right) was substantially cold.

My conclusion is the carb on the right is failing to fuel.

I then seen that fuel filter wasn't completely full

The tank was nearly empty when I started conversion and from playing with fuel lines and taking the fuel filter full of fuel off I think the pumps struggling to send enough fuel under pressure to carbs. That's why theres fuel robbery occurring.

Long story short I'll chuck some fuel in this weekend and hopefully she will run close to sweet. If not may be a float issue or something else carb related.

A step in the right direction though!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:01 pm 
Lvl2 Potential Hazard
Lvl2 Potential Hazard

Ive gone one step forward and two steps back here.. kind of desperate for experienced help here!! any help given will be paid for in eternal & unconditional love from me!!!

I'm so close to this conversion being finished but feel so far :(

Re-wired the fuel pump switch today... working nicely!

chucked some fuel in, and new spark plugs...started up nice and ran properly rather than just on the one carb.. so that issue sorted also.

It wouldn't idle on it's own though. Had to have choke out two clicks so revving around 3k or holding the throttle down with no choke as soon as I let off it would just slowly cut out.

I'm guessing this is either ignition timing or vacuum hoses on wrong... can somebody just clarify if these are on right by comparing with their own or from knowledge please? to put my mind at complete ease.

Ive got the vacuum hose from front of distributor going here..
(also have I got that yellow valve on the right way just below?)

Then the vacuum hose from rear of distributor going here..
The bottom of the two blue connections on the inlet manifold.

Whilst I'm asking... is this valve on the right way?

My second issue is the timing belt & crank pulley. I had her running for a bit earlier but as it was so long ago that I had taken it all apart and different bits got stored in different places when it came to putting on the crank pulley before starting her I missed out this shim..

luckily nothing bad happened.

the timing belt has ridden slightly to the edge of crank and cam pulley and slightly overlapped the edge so the outer edge isn't actually on the pulleys... if you get me? (the outer edge you can see here)

I removed crank pulley and offered up shim to the crank gear with woodruf key inserted too and woodruf key sticks out a fraction rather than being flush like it sits without shim there. Does this make a difference? am I going to have to slacken t/belt to push it right on? baring in mind the t/belt isn't HANGING off its just slightly pertruded the outer edge of the gear.

Is the shims job to keep the t/belt inline then I'm guessing? It has two locator holes also as you can see in above pic but I can't see any locator's to match on either crank pulley or gear...

not exactly easy questions to answer I do apologise but with these little teething problems sorted along she will be close to running sweet!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The woodruff key doesnt sit flush with the crank gear. It sticks out 1-2mm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:47 pm 
4GUK Donator

Under the carbs you have two solenoids. One with two bullet connectors and one with just one wire. Check those if not connected right will do exactly as you have said. Very easy to forget !

Also that hard vac line that should be going to your air box block it off.

Failing that switch the dizzy vac lines around. But pretty much certain it will be solenoids

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next