1.4 GL Auto project

Keep a Diary of your Civic project here, keeping photo records and providing step by step guides and tips.
jon5698
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

1.4 GL Auto project

Post by jon5698 »

Me and my cousin bought this the other week from ebay for the intention of converting it to a manual and using it on the track. We are just going to keep the 1.4 engine for the time being until we decide on which engine choice we want to go with, as it stands it has a manifold and full powerflow exhaust which we are going to change asap as it is too loud!

I drove from Blackburn this morning to pick my cousin up from Barrow In Furness and then headed over to sunderland where the car was being kept at my parents house. The car had some really crap and dangerous Ebay coilovers on it which just killed the handling and the tyres had no tread left on them either, so we took the old suspension from my cousins CRX which had lowering springs on it and his 16v alloys and fitted them to the GL today.

I have to say that i was really impressed to see how clean the car was underneath, no rust at all :) and all of the bushes look to be in good condition as well. So after fitting the suspension and wheels the car now handles like it should do again, with no bouncing when you go over any bumps lol. I am heading back to Barrow tomorrow to do a bit more work on the car, maybe service it and sort the abortion job on the stereo harmess.

Here are some pics from today, don't worry we hate the black bonnet and bumper, and once we do the sills it will be getting painted.

Rex_16
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Re: 1.4 GL Auto project

Post by Rex_16 »

Yup, twas a good day :D , not sure about the project title tho, we need to get rid of the auto box asap, even if kickdown does feel like a pikey vtec! Also need some pics of you doing some work, lol.

For anyone who is interested in the ebay coilovers, just don't do it, downright dangerous! (ps - have a spare set for sale if interested :lol: ).

A couple of pics from my camera phone:

Also had to empty an inch of water out of the O/S light, a common problem!

See, all working now:
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
jon5698
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by jon5698 »

Yeah already seen that mate
dida4g

Post by dida4g »

jon5698 wrote:Yeah already seen that mate
8)
2000 CRV Camel Trophy Edition
2009 Kia Pro Ceed 3 1.6 crdi
PowellyEG
Thats Bostin that is!

Post by PowellyEG »

Looks like a cracking project :-) look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Y U KNOW ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) its all about the Papier-mâché arches.
JDM Collective
The site: http://jdmcollective.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Forum: http://jdmcollective.forumotion.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JDMCollective" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jonny f
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!
Lvl6! Danger to manifold!

Post by jonny f »

sounds like its gone to a good home! Good luck with it.
walsh123
4GUK Donator

Post by walsh123 »

Its back again, good luck with the project :top:

Keep us updated :)
1990 Civic VT Daily
1991 civic GL (track toy)
1991 Shuttle (To be "sensible" daily project)
Ash_10_3
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Ash_10_3 »

chris, where is this car going to be kept?Will I see this in Barrow at all?

Ash
SuperDOHC
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!
Lvl7! Post Whore y0!

Post by SuperDOHC »

I always like that baby blue colour :top:

Cars looking good will be a good project for yaself will be watching for sum updates
ImageImageImage

White GL
Unique Edition
jon5698
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by jon5698 »

Ash_10_3 wrote:chris, where is this car going to be kept?Will I see this in Barrow at all?

Ash
You will hear it around barrow before you see it lol, we moved it there yesterday as it is only just over an hour for me to get to barrow from blackburn. We have got all the parts needed for the manual conversion now apart from a new speedo cluster, but won't be picking them up until the 24th of the month.

My mate lent me his Halfords trade card yesterday and can't believe how much discount you get with it! my jack packed in yesterday so bought a new one which was supposed to be £65.99 but got that for £51, then went to get the service parts today and got halfords fully synthetic oil, plugs, filter and some bulbs for £39, the oil was suppost to be that much on it's own! also got a new ISO harness from maplins so will be sorting out the wiring the next time i get to barrow.

Thanks for the comments we love the colour as well and can't wait to get the sills sorted and get it all painted the same colour.
Rex_16
Lvl1 Newbie
Lvl1 Newbie

Post by Rex_16 »

Ash_10_3 wrote:chris, where is this car going to be kept?Will I see this in Barrow at all?

Ash
Let me know when you are around next and I'll introduce you to the beast :lol: , its in the garage in the new house for now. It's as loud as the rex with tanabe SMR, or your rex even! But it sounds a bit pants with the auto box tbh, a bit too buzzzy/raspy and a lot of noise before the auto box wakes up, prob go for another mongoose/scorpion eventually. Engine is cracking, we are tempted to whack a z6 head on there as an intermediate step up in power.
Ash_10_3
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by Ash_10_3 »

you wont hear it over my crx lol! i can't even hear my own thoughts lol

i'll be in barrow next week some time. Em has a week off so i'll just sort me out some leave as well. Why am i so excited about seeing a shitty auto civic lol.

Im so tempted right now to just getting one
mattj
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting
Lvl5! Turbo Charged Posting

Post by mattj »

Best colour : (biased opinion) be nice to see what you do with it pal.
jon5698
Learner - Newbie
Learner - Newbie

Post by jon5698 »

Thanks mate, one of the lads i work with is picking up the manual conversion parts for me tomorrow so we might start on that over the weekend.